Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

Apologies just realised this is already common knowledge!
It's the first I've heard of it, and it certainly wasn't listed as their home ground when the fixtures were announced! It's a fiddly place to get to unless you're driving. It's the old Yeading FC site from before they amalgamated with Hayes, which was completely rebuilt, a bit like Champion Hill. The main stand looks good, but there's not much else. (A bit like Champion Hill!)

It's the first I've heard of it, and it certainly wasn't listed as their home ground when the fixtures were announced! It's a fiddly place to get to unless you're driving. It's the old Yeading FC site from before they amalgamated with Hayes, which was completely rebuilt, a bit like Champion Hill. The main stand looks good, but there's not much else. (A bit like Champion Hill!)
Ahh ok fair enough, sounds like I’m going to have fun on public transport trying to get there then! As always 🫡 to the PP knowledge

Why does the fact it’s being played behind closed doors stop us from reporting on it?

Last edited:
It's not unknown for a club wishing to play behind closed doors to request a media blackout. It's not impossible that has happened here.

My guess is that one side is planning on fielding a very young / experimental side and wants to be able to play without the risk of social media going nuts if they lose 15-0.

Why does the fact it’s being played behind closed doors stop us from reporting on it?
Hi Ian,

It’s under the instructions of the home side, same as when a club visits us, visiting media are given instructions on where to set up what they can and can’t do etc.

On this occasion Charlton have disappointingly asked that there is no media presence. On a positive they’re more organised than AFC Wimbledon who didn’t let us know the no media rule until we arrived.

If I had it my way, I’d be there covering the game from 17:45, it’s the best part of my job, but we just aren’t allowed to do that this week.

Thankfully this is the last BCD game of the women’s pre season!

It's not unknown for a club wishing to play behind closed doors to request a media blackout. It's not impossible that has happened here.

My guess is that one side is planning on fielding a very young / experimental side and wants to be able to play without the risk of social media going nuts if they lose 15-0.

That feels about right - Charlton are playing home matches at The Valley this season rather than at VCD Athletic out in Crayford so presumably want to keep things positive to get the crowds in, especially after only narrowly missing promotion to the WSL last season.

I'm a bit gutted, though - I would have been there if it wasn't behind closed doors!

Sunday's warm up v Crystal Palace U21 (plus or minus some Trialists?) was promising. Quite feisty at times. The second Hamlet goal was a screamer from Anna Jowle (?) that finished a slick back to front move. Hope there's a video out there.
The Assistant Ref on the Toilets Opposite side was refreshingly competent, too!

Does anyone have an up to date list of the squad?
The first 3 new signings have been announced on Twitter this morning, with various retentions previously announced over the summer. I dare say there will be a full list in today's match programme, hopefully with details of where the new recruits have come from.

Does anyone have an up to date list of the squad?

From today's programme (with squad numbers):

1 Saskia Reeves-Preistley (GK)
2 Jodie Lodge
3 Asia Harbour-Brown (Captain)
4 Rhea Gall
5 Morgan Searle
6 Anna Jowle
7 Tia Searle

8 Eleanor Hutchings (from Nottingham University)
9 Summer Roberts
10 Natalie Taylor (from Chatham Town)
11 Martha Goddard
12 Erin Corrigan
13 Ceylon Hickman
14 Lucy Monkman

15 Natasha Stephens (from Chatham Town)
16 Phoebe Read
17 Phoebe Leitch (from Chatham Town)
18 Angie Dunbar-Bonnie (from London Bees)
19 Ede Buchele (from Fulham)

20 Minnie Cruttwell
21 Lily Price (Vice Captain)
22 Iris Lacey
23 Gwyn West (GK)

TBA Olga Ocran

So, unless I've had a memory lapse, we seem to have retained all the key players from last season except Brit Saylor, who has hung up her boots and is now a Hamlet club director, plus Angel Reid and Shakira Kafero-Roberts, who I'm sure I was told have both gone to the US on university scholarships.

I remember Angie Dunbar-Bonnie as the standout player for London Bees (short winger with waist length locks) when we beat them in last season's FA Cup, and I was impressed with her again today when she came on a substitute. In total that's 4 recruits from the two teams relegated into our new division from above, one from arguably the best other team in our old division, and Eleanor Hutchings apparently played a few games for us 3 seasons ago in between leaving Palace U21s and going to university. Ede Buchele is apparently with us on a short term basis before leaving for university in the autumn as cover for Summer, who didn't play today. (I don't know the reason for that, although she was in the crowd.)

From today's programme (with squad numbers):

1 Saskia Reeves-Preistley (GK)
2 Jodie Lodge
3 Asia Harbour-Brown (Captain)
4 Rhea Gall
5 Morgan Searle
6 Anna Jowle
7 Tia Searle

8 Eleanor Hutchings (from Nottingham University)
9 Summer Roberts
10 Natalie Taylor (from Chatham Town)
11 Martha Goddard
12 Erin Corrigan
13 Ceylon Hickman
14 Lucy Monkman

15 Natasha Stephens (from Chatham Town)
16 Phoebe Read
17 Phoebe Leitch (from Chatham Town)
18 Angie Dunbar-Bonnie (from London Bees)
19 Ede Buchele (from Fulham)

20 Minnie Cruttwell
21 Lily Price (Vice Captain)
22 Iris Lacey
23 Gwyn West (GK)

TBA Olga Ocran

So, unless I've had a memory lapse, we seem to have retained all the key players from last season except Brit Saylor, who has hung up her boots and is now a Hamlet club director, plus Angel Reid and Shakira Kafero-Roberts, who I'm sure I was told have both gone to the US on university scholarships.

I remember Angie Dunbar-Bonnie as the standout player for London Bees (short winger with waist length locks) when we beat them in last season's FA Cup, and I was impressed with her again today when she came on a substitute. In total that's 4 recruits from the two teams relegated into our new division from above, one from arguably the best other team in our old division, and Eleanor Hutchings apparently played a few games for us 3 seasons ago in between leaving Palace U21s and going to university. Ede Buchele is apparently with us on a short term basis before leaving for university in the autumn as cover for Summer, who didn't play today. (I don't know the reason for that, although she was in the crowd.)
Thanks PP, thought it was a good performance today against a good side. Agree re Dunbar-Bonnie, looked very good when she came on. Hopefully today shows the squad is more than capable of competing at the new level. Great atmosphere as always

The only better-attended game in the division above was Exeter with 950. Considering that was a big marquee game at St James Park, it suggests we might be at the top of the National League attendance list a few times this season.

That said, the Pepper Army line has long been that we want to overtake some of the less-supported WSL clubs at their regular grounds.

West Ham ended-up averaging 1,892 across all matches last season, so it's doable.

Forward!

(A massive well-done to everyone whose hard work has got attendances at women's games to this level so far, it's a brilliant achievement)

Is there anything stopping the clubs rearranging these matches themselves?
Common sense has prevailed, with our scheduled midweek fixtures against Bedford switched to the Saturday dates originally allocated for our fixtures against Chatham, and vice versa. This also means Chatham and Cambridge don't have to visit each other in midweek.

Back
Top Bottom