Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Decent tasting decaffeinated coffee grounds/beans?

kittyP

Pluviophile
I have never been a great coffee aficionado or anything but I did used to like a nice cup every now and then.
Unfortunately now the caffeine sends me a bit weird*. My blood pressure drops and I feel really sick and faint.
So I had resigned myself to not drinking it anymore.

Now I have been given a beautiful gun-metal thermos cafetiere for my birthday and it is too lovely to not use so I am wondering if there are any half decent tasting types of decaffeinated ground coffee that I can get in easily in the shops?

Anyone have any ideas?

*Thankfully I am still fine with tea *phew*

I was instructed by my doctor not to drink any caffeinated drinks. I drink decaff coffee and tea. The Lidl coffee is OK. It's cheap and cheerful coffee. The Lavazza decaff is good but much more expensive than Lidl's. They're the ones I use in the UK. But, sadly, none I've tried as as good as the real thing.

Decaf that uses the Swiss water method to remove the caffeine is usually good. Some supermarkets stock it. Various brands, raw bean company is the most common.

Last edited:
So my blood pressure tells me I need to cut back on the vast amount of caffeine I shovel down every day.

I like reasonably strong coffee so have been buying this:

1605629239252.png

What decaf versions are available out there?

Ooh, forgot I was watching this thread.

Well Daniel, I think you will enjoy Sainsbury’s Colombian decaf both grounds and beans, depending whether you want a quick cup or to maybe dilute some caffeinated beans.

Yes. Thank you Daniel.

So my blood pressure tells me I need to cut back on the vast amount of caffeine I shovel down every day.

I like reasonably strong coffee so have been buying this:

View attachment 239280

What decaf versions are available out there?
Lavazza decaf is OK. Not especially strong but tastes like coffee. I drink it for the same reasons you need to and it gives me no issues.

The decaf from rave coffee is quite good
I'm looking at their tres artisanal website now but there doesn't seem any French-roasts type stuff available

This is naturally caffeine-free, albeit doesn't taste very nice. :(

13479_1.jpg

In general coffee these days I buy exclusively from the bloke who roasts round the corner from my workshop... Small unit run by a proper obsessive and genuinely lovely guy. Who really knows his shit. Sources properly, small batch roasts etc. I usual get caf having built my tolerance up enough for a whole two cups a day, but his decaf is decent iirc. Actually I have some (probably a bit stale) knocking about, will have a taste tomorrow.

Anything that is chicory masquerading as coffee isn’t very good . I’m not sure but I think dandelion roots were used as a coffee substitute many years ago .
Yeah, it isn't the nicest thing in the world. Not drank it for about thirty years so I was surprised when I looked it is still available - there can't be many people who actually buy it. :confused:

I have always loved Caro; it was always served at school trip places (where we stayed overnight- can’t think of the English word for Landschulheim) and at summer camp. We call it Kinderkaffee. I still drink it. Because I am still a Kind. ☺️

In general coffee these days I buy exclusively from the bloke who roasts round the corner from my workshop... Small unit run by a proper obsessive and genuinely lovely guy. Who really knows his shit. Sources properly, small batch roasts etc. I usual get caf having built my tolerance up enough for a whole two cups a day, but his decaf is decent iirc. Actually I have some (probably a bit stale) knocking about, will have a taste tomorrow.

Well I had a go... Not as good as his other coffees (obviously I suppose), but ok. Brews a bit weird in an espresso machine... I could possibly get better results with a bit of fiddling, but um... Can't be arsed. But yeah, definitely worth a go.

Camp Coffee was the other monstrosity with chicory in it
Interesting piece:

1605805523439.png
1605805573894.png

An original 'Camp Coffee' label. The Paterson Company of Glasgow was catapulted to fame with the world's first instant coffee in 1876: Camp Coffee (an essence of coffee-beans, chicory and sugar poured from a distinctive bottle). The origin of Camp Coffee is believed to have come from a request from the Gordon Highlanders to Campbell Paterson for a coffee drink that could be used easily by the army on field campaigns in India. The regular process of grinding and brewing coffee beans was too complicated and time consuming for a military field kitchen. The creation of a liquid Camp Coffee provided a simpler method. Originally the picture depicted the Sikh as carrying a tray of coffee -- an intermediate version, with the Sikh standing but the tray missing; it is widely believed that this was changed to avoid the imperialist connotations of the Sikh as a servant.The new label is a drawing of a Gordon Highlander soldier and a Sikh soldier sitting down together outside a tent, from which flies a flag carrying the drink's slogan, "Ready Aye Ready". Property of Robert Pool

I'm looking at their tres artisanal website now but there doesn't seem any French-roasts type stuff available
I honestly find the lidl decaf stuff quite nice, and is frenchy I think. You can pay three times the price and it will be like 20% nicer - wouldn't bother meself.

Back
Top Bottom