Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Death in Paradise... problematic?

Anyone else have an issue with this programme? A succession of white detectives parachuted in to take charge of murder investigations on a Caribbean island. The whole thing reaks of white saviour overload.
Agreed. I seem to remember making a similar observation in some thread in this forum a while back. Apart from problematic and condescending, it is a breathtakingly stupid and non-believable premise. Even more so as the island is meant to be a French protectorate, and the police officers wear (as far as I can see) emblems on their uniforms bearing the French flag.

So not only are the locals incapable of producing a single police officer intelligent enough to fill the chief inspector's role, but the French are similarly lacking. Very gallant of the UK to step in and show them how it's done even though it has no territorial or judicial connections with the island :D

Watched one episode once. Didn't think much of Danny John-Jules' Caribbean accent.

I think it was Ardal O'Hanlon as the detective bloke. So at least it wasn't Kris Marshall.

Agreed. I seem to remember making a similar observation in some thread in this forum a while back. Apart from problematic and condescending, it is a breathtakingly stupid and non-believable premise. Even more so as the island is meant to be a French protectorate, and the police officers wear (as far as I can see) emblems on their uniforms bearing the French flag.

So not only are the locals incapable of producing a single police officer intelligent enough to fill the chief inspector's role, but the French are similarly lacking. Very gallant of the UK to step in and show them how it's done even though it has no territorial or judicial connections with the island :D
I found it vaguely entertaining at first, then all of what you say gradually dawned on me, and now I find it unwatchable for all the reasons you list.

When I visit my mam, she has the Drama channel on most of the time and this programme seems to be on Drama a fair bit.

The "white saviour" thing is about right, although to be fair, the black cops are not numbskulls in any way. But it is invariably the white guy who finally pieces all the clues together (with the help of his capable black sidekicks). It has a very colonial feel about it.

On the bright side, the police chief is played by the guy who played the African student in Rising Damp. Also, the guy who was Cat in Red Dwarf is in it as well.

Eta mx wcfc it's very Agatha Christie (gets all the suspects in a room at the end till he reveals the baddie). In other words, childish.

Even ignoring the points made by nightowl and T&P, it's laughable from the procedurals pov. Calling the suspects together, telling them about the evidence you have gathered, then naming the culprit? Really?

Oh I hadn't even got that far! Yeah sounds ludicrous.

Eta mx wcfc it's very Agatha Christie (gets all the suspects in a room at the end till he reveals the baddie). In other words, childish.
Yeah, I get that. Not that I'm a fan of hers. It might be "good" in historical stuff, but it really grates in stuff set in modern times. Any of the rich white visitors who get accused would be able to hire a fancy european lawyer to get them off on a technicality.

I've never watch it, but playing devil's advocate blind, does it not get points just for being a British TV show set on a Carribbean island?

Even ignoring the points made by nightowl and T&P, it's laughable from the procedurals pov. Calling the suspects together, telling them about the evidence you have gathered, then naming the culprit? Really?
And in literally every fucking episode, half way through when they have a pool of suspects and are veering towards one of them being the murderer, they interview them and the suspect declares with intense passion that whereas they might have disliked or rowed with the victim, they REALLY didn’t kill then and could NEVER murder anyone. Upon which the coppers stop interviewing the suspect, look dejected and give each other a ‘Well, there goes our theory’ look.

It's a light-hearted, somewhat corny/comical cop show, for family viewing, hence its fairly early transmission time of 8pm.

It's based on a fictional Caribbean island that is an 'British Overseas Territory', the UK remains responsible for internal security for BOTs, even ones closer to us (isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, and Gibraltar) will ask for assistance from Scotland Yard from time-to-time, when there's a serious and difficult crime that needs solving.

Under the circumstances it's hardly surprising there's a permanently based senior UK cop on the tiny island of Saint Marie, what with their shockingly high murder rate. :D

I've never watch it, but playing devil's advocate blind, does it not get points just for being a British TV show set on a Carribbean island?
It would certainly would with me if I were big standard supporting actor and got a part in an episode. Certainly beats filming in an inner city UK town.

And another thing (you can tell I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the programme): if I lived in what is meant to be a peaceful, happy holiday paradise island with that insanely high murder rate, I’d get out of dodge pronto.

And another thing (you can tell I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the programme): if I lived in what is meant to be a peaceful, happy holiday paradise island with that insanely high murder rate, I’d get out of dodge pronto.

Ditto with the county of Midsomer.

It's based on a fictional Caribbean island that is an 'British Overseas Territory', the UK remains responsible for internal security for BOTs, even ones closer to us (isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, and Gibraltar) will ask for assistance from Scotland Yard from time-to-time, when there's a serious and difficult crime that needs solving.
I believe the Caribbean British overseas territories also interact via the Miami consul generals office.

It's always looked like one of those low quality Heartbeat/Midsummer Murders style cop shows, but although I can sort of stomach those, the blatant racism makes this one unwatchable for me.

When I visit my mam, she has the Drama channel on most of the time and this programme seems to be on Drama a fair bit.

The "white saviour" thing is about right, although to be fair, the black cops are not numbskulls in any way. But it is invariably the white guy who finally pieces all the clues together (with the help of his capable black sidekicks). It has a very colonial feel about it.

On the bright side, the police chief is played by the guy who played the African student in Rising Damp. Also, the guy who was Cat in Red Dwarf is in it as well.

Agatha Christie isn't in the slightest bit childish.

Isn't it problematic that people can remember the names of the interchangeable white guys who play Ace Detective but don't know the great Don Warrington's name and can't be bothered to check?

Danny John-Jules is also has more screen presence than his costars.

Back
Top Bottom