Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

D&D confession/tabletop rpg thread

Do you D&D

• Total voters
Is anyone else painting figures at the moment?

After around thirty years I've decided to pick up a brush again, just looking at the prices on the GW or Warhammer website (Whatever they call themselves these days) has made my eyes water. I knew they expensive but ****

I bought a basic set of three Orcs, six colours and a brush before Christmas and I'm currently painting the first one.
Does anyone know of any other paint suppliers that they can recommend?
So tempted to buy this : https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warriors-Of-Minas-Tirith-2018

After around thirty years I've decided to pick up a brush again, just looking at the prices on the GW or Warhammer website (Whatever they call themselves these days) has made my eyes water. I knew they expensive but ****

I bought a basic set of three Orcs, six colours and a brush before Christmas and I'm currently painting the first one.
So tempted to buy this : https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warriors-Of-Minas-Tirith-2018
I think Green Stuff World are supposed to be more reasonably priced than Citadel Paints.

We're leaving Blades in the Dark for a while and starting Star Wars based on 2nd edition rulebook. We're on the side of the rebellion. I've decided to be a security droid. A bit like K-2So. Sarcy with a dry sense of hmour. Haven't decided how to do the voice.. It could get embarrassing.

I'm another pandemic-newbie, but my understanding is that 5E + pandemic is largely responsible for the recent D&D boom. Over the past couple of years I've heard it said many times that 5E, in whatever way, made the game more accessible to newcomers (again?).
AFAIK it appeared on Stranger Things like Running Up That Hill did which sparked interest amongst the yoot.

i've the middle players handbook and deities and demigods, both in hardback (plus the dmg, monster manual and fiend folio). never seen the players handbook other than in hardcover

The blue Dungeons and Dragons is the full original game - light on rules, but the full set including instructions for DM, monsters, even a sample dungeon.

I'm guessing I got the softback of Advanced as it was cheaper.

If you look closely on all them you can see I've taped the edges and spines to protect them, seems to have worked! No idea what tape I used, must have been amazing stuff to last this long :D

If anyone's interested, my CY_BORG game went on hold for a bit, after a fair amount of time - mostly just due to me getting tired and burned out tbh.

Everyone liked the setting and the ultraviolence and the constant vicious satire of everything, and thought the rules were great, but there was some feeling that there wasn't enough differentiation between characters in the long term.

We're leaving Blades in the Dark for a while and starting Star Wars based on 2nd edition rulebook. We're on the side of the rebellion. I've decided to be a security droid. A bit like K-2So. Sarcy with a dry sense of hmour. Haven't decided how to do the voice.. It could get embarrassing.
West End Games?

When I was young, I played the shit out of that system. Captures the spirit of the films so well.

Valejio

West End Games?

When I was young, I played the shit out of that system. Captures the spirit of the films so well.

I’m not sure TBH, I’d have to check. My mate who is the GM has the books. We played a version on the earlier rule book last year which was also fun. I made some cheesy music and sound effects that GM could use via roll20. it helps, well helps me at least, that the rules, especially combat are much more straightforward.

I've merged my "oh I can't find an existing thread because I didn't search properly" thread into this one, it's silly to have two threads on basically the same topic.

My current obsession is Vaults of Vaarn (which has all the rules and stuff here). It's in the "post-post-apocalyptic"/Dying Earth genre - set so far in the future that nobody remembers or can understand what's happened before, every step treading on the dust of a thousand previous collapsed civilisations. There are other games in this genre, Numenera being maybe the most well known, as well as Worlds Without Number - and arguably D&D originally had it as an implied background - but I like Vaarn because it's inventive, weird, and open-ended/exploratory. The basic game loop of going into the titular Vaults to find ancient "exotica" and bring them back out is straightforward (an important feature of any game is knowing what you're meant to be doing in it) but there's so much to explore outside of that, and creating your own world is encouraged and helped with lots of procedures.

I liked the idea of Numenera a lot but in the end I thought it cleaved too close to a standard fantasy game with a few weird elements - also I didn't like the character creation system, it sounds good but the options are far too tied up in rules IMO that suck the life out of the basic concept, and also the list of cyphers is very boring.

For a really ultralight game in that genre btw, 2400: Xot is great. In fact 2400 is generally great. The more I play TTRPGs the more I appreciate lightweight systems that basically do the same as the fat books but with 1% of the verbiage.

West End Games?

I found a page which has downloads of all the WEG Star Wars books recently http://www.starwarstimeline.net/Westendgames.htm

The system is actually pretty good, I've been growing an appreciation for it. It's available in more general terms as OpenD6. The core mechanic is pretty solid - you've got some dice for a thing, roll them and if you beat a score you succeeded.

This would be my first DMing role.

I tried it out just me and one freind with a pre-made call of cuthulu module but I don't think that has prepared me.

Back
Top Bottom