Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

D&D confession/tabletop rpg thread

Do you D&D

• Total voters
I'm supposed to be starting an RPG club where I work in November despite not having played in thirty years so interested in participating. I only played briefly but I spent a year aged twelve poring over AD&D books.
I took about a twenty year break myself, between "being a student" and "pandemic hitting".

The scene around D&D has changed quite a lot recently. You may have heard of Critical Role which has resulted in a bunch of connected intellectual property and also a big YT actual play boom.

Well there is this thread but i guess you wanted something more broad?

Just did some Pathfinder today.

Well there is this thread but i guess you wanted something more broad?
yes definitely, I didn't just fail to find it or anything
Just did some Pathfinder today.
what edition?

Still playing via Roll20. Our D&D campaign is on hold whilst we try some other stuff. Same friends I've been playing with since 2020. Just starting a game of Blades in the Dark. GM has bought the books and everything and has the task of explaining it all to the rest of us. It's a underworld crime gang thing set in a fantasy city, with super natural elements.

I'm still playing table top, for over 30 years, less so as my friends have gotten kids. We played on Roll20 and discord through the pandemic. Once a month maybe less.

Aliens, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulu and others.

Still playing via Roll20. Our D&D campaign is on hold whilst we try some other stuff. Same friends I've been playing with since 2020. Just starting a game of Blades in the Dark. GM has bought the books and everything and has the task of explaining it all to the rest of us. It's a underworld crime gang thing set in a fantasy city, with super natural elements.
BitD has been very influential - there's a whole genre now called "Forged in the Dark" based around the same rules. The whole idea that you don't plan your caper out beforehand beyond your approach, and play the details out kind of backwards, was a big hit. (I've not played it myself though, don't think my lot would be that keen.)

I'm still playing table top, for over 30 years, less so as my friends have gotten kids. We played on Roll20 and discord through the pandemic. Once a month maybe less.

Aliens, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulu and others.

I was trying to talk my mate into buying the Aliens physical table top game. :D We do meet up and play face to face now and then.

BitD has been very influential - there's a whole genre now called "Forged in the Dark" based around the same rules. The whole idea that you don't plan your caper out beforehand beyond your approach, and play the details out kind of backwards, was a big hit. (I've not played it myself though, don't think my lot would be that keen.)

Yeah it does sound quite different to D&D style and ruleset. Though I still count myself as a novice with that. We should get properly going this week. Just finishing the set up of our gang. We'll probably argue over the name :D

I have a game book called 'Fiasco', which is based on the kind of plots Coen bros stories revolve around .. normal people making bad choices and ending up overwhelmed by the consequences. It's a lot of fun, best with groups of 3-6, no GM required.

Looking now, it seems to be available as a game set with cards and a board, but IME all you really need apart from a twisted sense of humour, is the main book and a bunch of 6-sided dice of 2 different colours. Good times :D

one of my 'bucket list' goals is to design a tabletop rpg. Seems easy enough :D

I had ideas based around a scifi setting inspired by heavy metal, which is one of the reasons I wanted to read Cy Borg. It was going to be called Stratocaster after a long lost fleet of mighty starships.

I would love to make an RPG based on my fantasy world, but I've got enough trouble finishing the goddamn books without trying to work out a system of mechanics etc for a game.

One day, maybe, who knows

I'm supposed to be starting an RPG club where I work in November despite not having played in thirty years so interested in participating. I only played briefly but I spent a year aged twelve poring over AD&D books.
Was just thinking about this and there's a modern movement to use some of the older versions of D&D, generally for reasons of simplicity and avoiding half hour combat rounds - long story mind, it's generally called OSR but people don't even agree on what that stands for. AD&D isn't the most popular system for that given that, well, there are quite a lot of rules for it, but basically old school games are not entirely just old hat. I played some WFRP 1e not too long ago.

one of my 'bucket list' goals is to design a tabletop rpg. Seems easy enough :D

I had ideas based around a scifi setting inspired by heavy metal, which is one of the reasons I wanted to read Cy Borg. It was going to be called Stratocaster after a long lost fleet of mighty starships.
There's a game called Vast Grimm which is sort of Mork Borg In Space - more of an 80s straight to video sci fi gore horror sort of vibe. There are 14 pages about being infected with space parasite worms for instance.

that's another kickstarter I did, I might have maybe backed too many kickstarters over lockdown (but it's actually available for non backers now)

Was just thinking about this and there's a modern movement to use some of the older versions of D&D, generally for reasons of simplicity and avoiding half hour combat rounds - long story mind, it's generally called OSR but people don't even agree on what that stands for. AD&D isn't the most popular system for that given that, well, there are quite a lot of rules for it, but basically old school games are not entirely just old hat. I played some WFRP 1e not too long ago.
Well I work at a school with a lot of asd kids so half hour combat rounds might go down well. Though I no longer own any ad&d books anyway and it'll be weekly 80-90 min sessions so being able to advance the story will be key. I'm utterly confused tbh, I can get hold of pretty much anything online but there seem to be at least seven different versions of it now. I'm trying to work out the minimum equipment I need to get started.

I have a game book called 'Fiasco', which is based on the kind of plots Coen bros stories revolve around .. normal people making bad choices and ending up overwhelmed by the consequences. It's a lot of fun, best with groups of 3-6, no GM required.

Looking now, it seems to be available as a game set with cards and a board, but IME all you really need apart from a twisted sense of humour, is the main book and a bunch of 6-sided dice of 2 different colours. Good times :D

I'd love to play this but am yet to find anyone to play it with... Not that I've seriously tried. Most of my nerdy friends are committed to a particular game and not always up for new things.

Well I work at a school with a lot of asd kids so half hour combat rounds might go down well. Though I no longer own any ad&d books anyway and it'll be weekly 80-90 min sessions so being able to advance the story will be key. I'm utterly confused tbh, I can get hold of pretty much anything online but there seem to be at least seven different versions of it now. I'm trying to work out the minimum equipment I need to get started.
There's a really good blog by a guy who does a lot of rpgs with kids of various ages - he has a tag called "playing with youngers" which might be of use playing with youngers – DREAMING DRAGONSLAYER

If it's D&D, a lot of people still favour 3rd edition, it's a nice balance between absorbing mechanics (for those who enjoy that) and storytelling momentum. The 3rd edition source books are widely available as PDFs, but I can send you a load if you PM me an email address.

If it's D&D, a lot of people still favour 3rd edition, it's a nice balance between absorbing mechanics (for those who enjoy that) and storytelling momentum. The 3rd edition source books are widely available as PDFs, but I can send you a load if you PM me an email address.
That's very nice of you but they're all on a well-known e-book sharing site anyway.

Just bought the 5th ed rules and two modules (Curse of Strahd and the Rise of Tiamat) and i‘ve got two players and me (DM). Looking forward to rolling the dice again. I started playing AD&D in the 80’s. A guy i went to school with got two monsters in The Fiend Folio. One was the Lizard King. Can’t remember the other one. I used to have the first twenty White Dwarfs in binders but I left them in London when i left. Regret that.

Strahd is supposed to be pretty good - I've not played it myself but it seems to be consistently at the top of "Not Shit 5e Things".

Strahd is supposed to be pretty good - I've not played it myself but it seems to be consistently at the top of "Not Shit 5e Things".

Playing it atm and can confirm - it's lots of fun. Prepare to use a bad Russian accent a lot.

Over the years, I've also played Pathfinder, Mage, Quest, Blades in the Dark and Savage Worlds. I've tried playing online (with people I knew IRL) a few times but it doesn't work for me, I find that it's hard to maintain focus. Whilst I have much sympathy for people re their busy lives, jobs, children, etc. I still need them around the table, need to hear their voices and see their facial expressions.

Back
Top Bottom