Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cutlery etiquette when you've finished eating

What were you taught to do with your cutlery at the end of a meal?

• I wasn’t taught to do anything specific

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Fork and knife next to each other at ‘6 o’clock’ facing directly away from you

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • Fork and knife more or less parallel and facing away from you

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Some other arrangement

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
I voted together at 6 o.... thanks Cloo. Great to know my mum wasnt an obsessive compulsive or somthink!! I was taught that anything else was 'european' and not english manners. Maybe because we had foreign students in the house often!

Funny thread :D

Well, I deliberately posted this on suburban rather than anywhere else, where it would probably developed into some kind of class war thing :rolleyes: (although I don't think this practice is class-specific, TBH)

Nine Bob Note said:
If I repeatedly swap them other whilst I'm eating, does it really matter what I do with them when I've finished? Just don't use either the knife or fork to scratch any part of your body, and you're fine :cool:
:oops: sometimes I'll use the handle of the fork to scratch my head :oops: :oops:

Nine Bob Note said:
If I repeatedly swap them other whilst I'm eating, does it really matter what I do with them when I've finished?

That's another cardinal sin though - fork goes in left hand, knife in right and should never be swapped :p

Orang Utan said:
That's another cardinal sin though - fork goes in left hand, knife in right and should never be swapped :p
My fork always goes in my right hand, knife in my left. People look at me strangely when I sit down to a pre-placed table and immediately swap them over. I never swap while eating though (because I can't eat right handedly, even though I'm right handed :confused: )

Oh, I hold my cutlery appalingly, although not as badly as my bro, but he at least has the excuse of being left-handed!

After I've finished eating I leave them casually at 8 o'clock - followed by a slight move to 7 o'clock with a firm and decisive final move to 6 o'clock.

I think I was taught that you put them together if you were eating out, but we never ate out. I didn't realise they had to be at a certain angle, that sounds a bit anal to me :)

Not my bro, but like several members of the family (me included) he's just got crap coordination generally.

subversplat said:
My fork always goes in my right hand, knife in my left. People look at me strangely when I sit down to a pre-placed table and immediately swap them over. I never swap while eating though (because I can't eat right handedly, even though I'm right handed :confused: )

happens to me as well... i hold the fork with my right hand n I'm right handed. and i do occasionally have to swap... who cares anyway?

I alway's hold my fork in a fist and stab downwards....and I have my own knife because the little silver ones that they have don't have handles.

Back
Top Bottom