Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cruella 'action comedy' 'set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution

Theaters can certainly be interesting experiences. A few years ago, I had a guy walk in and sit next to me in a theater that was empty except for me. He proceeded to grope my breast. I hit him in the nose hard enough to knock him out of his seat. He sat on the floor for a minute and then got up and left. Go figure.
I mean at least he still had the level of social awareness to realise he should probably leave at that point I guess.

Theaters can certainly be interesting experiences. A few years ago, I had a guy walk in and sit next to me in a theater that was empty except for me. He proceeded to grope my breast. I hit him in the nose hard enough to knock him out of his seat. He sat on the floor for a minute and then got up and left. Go figure.

Liked for your response, obvs, not the man's behaviour.

If you want the rationalisation spoiler,
the film has snarling, scary looking Dalmatians who kill Cruella's mother. She also has mental health issues and develops a split personality where the more sinister persona eventually gains complete control, suggesting that at some point she'll totally go off the rails. I quite like that it's a darker, less comforting take on its anti-heroine than Maleficent.
Actually, I think I am quite satisfied with that.

I saw it today. It was better than I expected. A few twists. Decent art direction.

Did notice that as the ending credits started that the headlights on Cruella's car briefly flashed in a Mickey Mouse pattern on the screen. At least they were fairly subtle with the Disney logo.

A sequel is officially a go, and Emma Stone is already signed up

The transformation of the main character into the perfect villain with no redeeming qualities that is Cruella in in 101 Dalmatians can now continue, I guess. I do wonder if it was Disney's intention all along to turn Cruella into a full villain over several films as a pre-written story arc, or if they were happy to finish the first film with the main character still broadly likeable, and worry about how to develop it further later if the film was successful and a sequel was green lighted... .

Back
Top Bottom