Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cruella 'action comedy' 'set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution

Does anyone else find that as well as the trailer autoplaying when you open this thread, it now also autoplays in the tab you open this thread from? Or is that just me?

Ah I see. This is the

This is the only aspect that had me irritated by the idea.
I thought malnificent was ok though, it retells some of the origin from her point of view and exposes some lies/misconceptions and you can understand her later actions.

Not sure that I can see this working in the one dimensional Disney cruella. Obviously it can still be an enjoyable film, but I think it's one of those things that will niggle me. (I'm not great at getting past small details like this).
Both are major retcons, I didn't believe afterwards that the Maleficent of the animation film was merely misunderstood either and overall Cruella is the better film. Without the Disney connection Cruella wouldn't have gotten the massive budget it has. For that it's an eccentric and unusual blockbuster, All About Eve/The Devil Wears Prada set in a Willy Wonka version of the 70s London ragtrade where two madwomen battle it out. I wasn't bored.

Both are major retcons, I didn't believe afterwards that the Maleficent of the animation film was merely misunderstood either and overall Cruella is the better film. Without the Disney connection Cruella wouldn't have gotten the massive budget it has. For that it's an eccentric and unusual blockbuster, All About Eve/The Devil Wears Prada set in a Willy Wonka version of the 70s London ragtrade where two madwomen battle it out. I wasn't bored.

Think you've sold me on it - this wouldn't be out of place on a movie poster.

"An eccentric and unusual blockbuster ... set in a Willy Wonka version of the 70s London ragtrade" - Reno, Urban75

As I said elsewhere, I really enjoyed it. It’s gorgeous to look at. (There’s a scene with a bin lorry that I’m still relaying in my head two days later.) Cruella goes from traumatised child to likeable grifter easily enough. The remaining development of her as the character who becomes DeVil is deliberately up and down. At the end we like her but she’s had obnoxious moments. Unlike Malificent, Cruella doesn’t show the events of the original film from a new perspective. It stays in prequel territory.

Emma Thompson brings big villain energy and is wonderful. Mark Strong is weirdly underused. It’s a bit too long but the soundtrack is amazing, and yes. Gorgeous production design.

Its just a shame its hobbled by being tied to a franchise/brand because honestly we just need more exciting films willing to go a bit nuts and do this sort of stuff.

Its just a shame its hobbled by being tied to a franchise/brand because honestly we just need more exciting films willing to go a bit nuts and do this sort of stuff.
You are now more likely to get that with US tv series than with films. Twin Peaks The Return, Watchmen, Devs and Maniac to name a few are all quite far out there.

Much rather this than another superhero reboot. I'm mostly put off by just the idea of going to the cinema. Maybe I'll take a half day and see it in the afternoon.

You can't trust any animal with spots btw, it's well known.

Much rather this than another superhero reboot. I'm mostly put off by just the idea of going to the cinema. Maybe I'll take a half day and see it in the afternoon.

It’s half term. I went at 8.30pm to avoid the kids.

I think you can just about connect this prequel character to the basic premise of the original, infamous Cruella de Vil by turning the latter into an 'urban legend' sort of thing that is much more myth than actual reality, much like the dalmatians element within this new film. If you try to wire up every detail of the films/books as literal then it probably becomes ridiculous and contradictory quite quickly.

As I said elsewhere, I really enjoyed it. It’s gorgeous to look at. (There’s a scene with a bin lorry that I’m still relaying in my head two days later.) Cruella goes from traumatised child to likeable grifter easily enough. The remaining development of her as the character who becomes DeVil is deliberately up and down. At the end we like her but she’s had obnoxious moments. Unlike Malificent, Cruella doesn’t show the events of the original film from a new perspective. It stays in prequel territory.

Emma Thompson brings big villain energy and is wonderful. Mark Strong is weirdly underused. It’s a bit too long but the soundtrack is amazing, and yes. Gorgeous production design.
Emma T is always good value- a bit maligned in some quarters because liberal left and stuff but always watchable

I read up on Dodie Smith who wrote the novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians. She also wrote a sequel called The Starlight Barking which has the most batshit plot. All humans but one, fall asleep and the earth is ruled by dogs. They gain the ability to hover at great speed and communicate telepathically with a god like, shape shifting dog called Sirius who made humans fall asleep due to the threat of nuclear war. Disney didn't go near that one and made up its own sequels.

I read up on Dodie Smith who wrote the novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians. She also wrote a sequel called The Starlight Barking which has the most batshit plot. All humans but one, fall asleep and the earth is ruled by dogs. They gain the ability to hover at great speed and communicate telepathically with a god like, shape shifting dog called Sirius who made humans fall asleep due to the threat of nuclear war. Disney didn't go near that one and made up its own sequels.
I hate sequels, but that sounds more fun.

You can't rely on it to come back when you shout at it.

Also I Capture the Castle (which is completely different -- the film's worth catching if you haven't seen it.)

ETA Shit, I was thinking it came out maybe 10 years ago but it's more like 20 -- 2003. :eek:

Also I Capture the Castle (which is completely different -- the film's worth catching if you haven't seen it.)

ETA Shit, I was thinking it came out maybe 10 years ago but it's more like 20 -- 2003. :eek:
I remember the film coming out....a few years ago ? And then thinking it sounds quite good and I should probably watch it and never getting round to it.

Reactions: Sue
Both are major retcons, I didn't believe afterwards that the Maleficent of the animation film was merely misunderstood either
I mean that with the extra information (retcon) her behaviour is understood and you can feel a bit sorry for her (sympathy for Mr vengeance). Not sure I buy a good cruella wanting a puppy fur coat . . .I assume there is no burning irrational but understandable unhinged vengeance element. Anyway, I have not seen the film, maybe I won't care. It's at least it's good to hear it's not a Disney suicide squad.

I mean that with the extra information (retcon) her behaviour is understood and you can feel a bit sorry for her (sympathy for Mr vengeance). Not sure I buy a good cruella wanting a puppy fur coat . . .I assume there is no burning irrational but understandable unhinged vengeance element. Anyway, I have not seen the film, maybe I won't care. It's at least it's good to hear it's not a Disney suicide squad.
If you want the rationalisation spoiler,
the film has snarling, scary looking Dalmatians who kill Cruella's mother. She also has mental health issues and develops a split personality where the more sinister persona eventually gains complete control, suggesting that at some point she'll totally go off the rails. I quite like that it's a darker, less comforting take on its anti-heroine than Maleficent.

I've heard that's good, but also briefly got that mixed up with We Have Always Lived In The Castle, which is different again.
Just us then
Tbf, now this thread's no longer on the first page it's fine.

Anyway, this review makes the film sound quite exciting:

1622740677630.png

I've heard that's good, but also briefly got that mixed up with We Have Always Lived In The Castle, which is different again.

Tbf, now this thread's no longer on the first page it's fine.

Anyway, this review makes the film sound quite exciting:

View attachment 271687

Theaters can certainly be interesting experiences. A few years ago, I had a guy walk in and sit next to me in a theater that was empty except for me. He proceeded to grope my breast. I hit him in the nose hard enough to knock him out of his seat. He sat on the floor for a minute and then got up and left. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom