Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cruella 'action comedy' 'set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution

editor

hiraethified
This looks pretty shit. From Disney

Cruella' is set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution and follows a young grifter named Estella, a clever and creative girl determined to make a name for herself with her designs. She befriends a pair of young thieves who appreciate her appetite for mischief, and together they are able to build a life for themselves on the London streets. One day, Estella's flair for fashion catches the eye of the Baroness von Hellman, a fashion legend who is devastatingly chic and terrifyingly haute, but their relationship sets in motion a course of events and revelations that will cause Estella to embrace her wicked side and become the raucous, fashionable and revenge-bent Cruella.

I get that there are some villains who can be portrayed in a more sympathetic light, or who can otherwise be made the focus of the story in a way that's entertaining, like what they did in Joker.

But Deville is a character who literally steals a bunch of puppies from a loving family, when she could have legally bought them from someone else. I don't understand how one could possibly recast such a character without twisting her completely out of recognition. If she doesn't want to skin someone's beloved pets, then what exactly makes here Cruella Deville?

I get that there are some villains who can be portrayed in a more sympathetic light, or who can otherwise be made the focus of the story in a way that's entertaining, like what they did in Joker.

But Deville is a character who literally steals a bunch of puppies from a loving family, when she could have legally bought them from someone else. I don't understand how one could possibly recast such a character without twisting her completely out of recognition. If she doesn't want to skin someone's beloved pets, then what exactly makes here Cruella Deville?
I thought what they did with malnificent was a fun idea but I can't see that working here, mainly for it's more contemporary and less magical/mythical setting/set up. . . . And of course the reasons you mentioned above.

So, has everyone heard about Cruella's big plot point?
From here:
Cruella lurches through a painfully long first-act where we have to go all the way back to the childhood of Estella (Emma Stone), a girl with a rebellious streak, black-and-white hair, and raised by a kindly mother. Her mother cautions her daughter not to give in to her dark side, dubbed “Cruella”. When her mother is knocked over a cliff by dalmatians who were chasing young Estella, the child feels responsible. Growing up an orphan on the streets of London, she meets fellow strays Jasper (Joel Fry) and Horace (Paul Walter Hauser), and they form a trio of grifters, but Estella longs to be a fashion designer on the level of the glamorous Baroness (Emma Thompson). When Estella finally gets her shot, she’s ecstatic (despite the Baroness’ casual cruelty) until she learns that the Baroness used a dog whistle to call the dalmatians that purposefully knocked Estella’s mother off a cliff, so Estella vows revenge. I am not making any of this up.

Saw it today, hoped it would be ok and mildly entertaining.

it was bloody brilliant, far better than it needed to be and the best Disney film for a long time. Some great performances. Much better than Mallificent.

I felt it was surprisingly a top film. Will watch again and would recommend. Ignore the above negative ‘reviews’ from people who haven’t actually seen it.

It's not bad, better than most (probably all) of the Disney live action reboots/prequels/remakes of their animated classics. It works had to be more edgy than any of these films and Emma Stone is very good in the lead, but in the end it still feels too formulaic.

How do they deal with her growing up to being a bit of an arsehole and wanting to kill all those puppies for a coat?

Same as with Maleficent, the fact that she turns evil gets sidestepped. She turns mad but not quite bad. A fake Dalmatian coat makes an appearance but I suppose the idea is that by the end of the film she still has at least a decade to turn into the Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians, so they can make a sequel. The whole thing why she supposedly hates Dalmatians is muddled.

Last edited:
Ah I see. This is the
Same as with Maleficent, the fact that she turns evil it's sidestepped. She turns mad but not quite bad. A fake Dalmatian coat makes an appearance but I suppose the idea is that by the end of the film she still has at least a decade to turn into the Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians, so they can make a sequel. The whole thing why she supposedly hates Dalmatians is muddled.
This is the only aspect that had me irritated by the idea.
I thought malnificent was ok though, it retells some of the origin from her point of view and exposes some lies/misconceptions and you can understand her later actions.

Not sure that I can see this working in the one dimensional Disney cruella. Obviously it can still be an enjoyable film, but I think it's one of those things that will niggle me. (I'm not great at getting past small details like this).

Back
Top Bottom