Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cream or Custard

Cream or Custard

• Total voters
I don't understand the point of cream. It's not sweet, it doesn't taste of anything, it adds nothing to a pudding, just blandifies it.

If I want to sweeten the pudding then I add sugar to the cream and make a chantilly (I have no idea that would translate this to in English but basically I get a egg white mixer and wizz it through it so its volume increases and it becomes fluffier and smoother). I certainly wouldn't do it for, say, a chocolate fudge cake slice because my idea of adding cream to it is to contrast against the sweetness of the cake (much like one might do with lemon or lime in other cases). Also, depending on the dessert, add strong coffee, chocolate or a splash of lemon or orange juice to the cream et voilá - flavoured cream for anyone who wants to reduce its "milkiness".

I don't have a sweet tooth so don't really do most puddings, but rhubarb is not really that sweet and I now really want some rhubarb (stewed or in a crumble) with custard.

There is a slice of hot, fresh from the oven apple pie in front of you. It's been made by someones veteran of old school puddings gran. This thing is made with the finest of cooking apples, the pastry is perfect and is from a secret recipe only the family hand down from chef to chef. Its got a whiff of clove and everything. How could you defile that with vanilla ice cream :( monster

No custard is the only true sauce for pudding. And thats the other thing about custard that the mainstream media don't want us to know- when it goes cold it jellifies and is equally good then. Of course you won't hear about that on BBC news :rolleyes:
I was on the side of custard till I found out there was ice cream on the menu!

I'm a massive custard fan, hot or cold, but cold vanilla ice cream on a hot fruit pie is lovely. Cream can fuck off. Literally the only respectable use for cream is making white russians.

Not so keen on cream apart from in coffee. Custard is best with a crumble or cobbler; ice cream is best with a fruit pie

I use cream in cooking, but usually for savoury dishes - I do some pasta sauces with cream, and potato dauphinoise is a firm favourite here!

I use cream in cooking, but usually for savoury dishes - I do some pasta sauces with cream, and potato dauphinoise is a firm favourite here!

I always add cream to my carbonara sauce. I also like cream instead of milk on a garlic mushroom sauce.

Oh aye, cream is ok in cooking but OP is about hot puddings, innit.

I always had milk on my Christmas Pudding, anyone else do this?

Never had milk on Christmas pudding ever, but if you like it then I am not going to tell you that you are wrong (others will though, this is the suburban forum after all, and no thread would be complete without someone telling someone else that they are a complete wrong'un with no taste) :D

Never had milk on Christmas pudding ever, but if you like it then I am not going to tell you that you are wrong (others will though, this is the suburban forum after all, and no thread would be complete without someone telling someone else that they are a complete wrong'un with no taste) :D

:D aye. Try it this Christmas, we can be wrong together. It's odd, it makes the milk look a bit blue for some reason

i used to make whole pints of custard and drink it as a bedtime drink. i'd make it dead thick, so when it cooled a bit, you'd pull a rubbery puck of skin off the top to chew on, before delving into the sweet warm eggy creaminess of the rest. mmmmmmmmmmmm

I love cream and custard, really love them.

However, childhood staple evaporated milk is out of favour these days and I would like it to make a comeback.

I bought a tin of Carnation the other week and having been having it on Weetabix, jelly, on top of porridge, more or less anything I can get away with. It is the comforting taste of 1984. The taste of a Ford Capri, Nicky Horner's NFL touchdown round up, Frankie Says... T-shirts and the comforting paradigm of mutually assured destruction.

I love cream and custard, really love them.

However, childhood staple evaporated milk is out of favour these days and I would like it to make a comeback.

I bought a tin of Carnation the other week and having been having it on Weetabix, jelly, on top of porridge, more or less anything I can get away with. It is the comforting taste of 1984. The taste of a Ford Capri, Nicky Horner's NFL touchdown round up, Frankie Says... T-shirts and the comforting paradigm of mutually assured destruction.

Oooh yes, evap was the thing when I were a nipper. Not even sure I would know where to buy it these days!

It might still be popular in Ecuador or Colombia because it was in a section with Latin American food products in my street. Would you still find it at Tesco now?

If I want to sweeten the pudding then I add sugar to the cream and make a chantilly (I have no idea that would translate this to in English but basically I get a egg white mixer and wizz it through it so its volume increases and it becomes fluffier and smoother). I certainly wouldn't do it for, say, a chocolate fudge cake slice because my idea of adding cream to it is to contrast against the sweetness of the cake (much like one might do with lemon or lime in other cases). Also, depending on the dessert, add strong coffee, chocolate or a splash of lemon or orange juice to the cream et voilá - flavoured cream for anyone who wants to reduce its "milkiness".

Yes cream is perfect for a rich chocolate cake. Makes it less sickly.

Back
Top Bottom