Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crap/Not Crap: The Cranberries

The Cranberries...

• Total voters
not necessarily true if you listen to a song for the other qualities that make it enjoyable - melody, arrangement, the timbre of the voice, etc

Songs have lyrics...like it or not...
The fact you dont listen to those lyrics is not the fault of the song or the song writer or singer.

A song imparts a message or tells a story.
Of course you can enjoy the musicality of a song but you wont understand a song or appreciate it fully if you dont hear or listen to or read the lyrics

The fact you dont listen to those lyrics is not the fault of the song or the song writer or singer.

Of course you can enjoy the musicality of a song but you wont understand a song or appreciate it fully if you dont hear or listen to or read the lyrics

Do you like Christy's lyrics?

Never said it was the creator’s fault, just that people listen to music for many different reasons and appreciate different elements of the music over others.

I think maybe you paid attention to what a song you liked was about, and I didn't because I didn't like it. Theres nothing odd about that - I've no idea what most pop songs I don't like are about.
OK, fine. What I'm saying is that the politics around that song were big enough that you didn't need to like the song not to know it. It's not like not knowing that a song is about so-and-so's ex. Still, we were young, and busy, and sometimes we miss stuff for whatever reason, I suppose.

But you still, until this thread, didn't know that Zombie was about the troubles? I mean, what? That's not something to be proud of in a hipsterish I-don't-like-popular-tunes way. Even OU knew that.

I suppose it would if you were Irish, but honestly it's any lyrics for me. I've mentioned it before but I once made a valentine's mix tape for an ex and it had a song on it called One Woman, by Isaac Hayes. It's a lovely slow jam but I didn't know that it was about him trying to choose between two women, and at the time, my ex's dad had just left her mum for another woman, so it didn't go down that well :oops:

I'm not great at noticing lyrics either TBH. I don't tend to listen for them, especially the first time, and sometimes they wash over me. This one was easier to hear the lyrics for than most, though.

You remind me of people who choose Every Breath You Take for a wedding dance. :D Except actually yours is a bit more subtle - oops :D

I'm not great at noticing lyrics either TBH. I don't tend to listen for them, especially the first time, and sometimes they wash over me. This one was easier to hear the lyrics for than most, though.

You remind me of people who choose Every Breath You Take for a wedding dance. :D Except actually yours is a bit more subtle - oops :D

Just amused that someone would have it on a zombie film!

OK, fine. What I'm saying is that the politics around that song were big enough that you didn't need to like the song not to know it. It's not like not knowing that a song is about so-and-so's ex. Still, we were young, and busy, and sometimes we miss stuff for whatever reason, I suppose.

But you still, until this thread, didn't know that Zombie was about the troubles? I mean, what? That's not something to be proud of in a hipsterish I-don't-like-popular-tunes way. Even OU knew that.
You're mistaken, I'm not proud. But nor is it something I think anyone should be ashamed of, or that it's something unusual. I didn't pay any attention to what a pop song was about when I was 16 is all.

You're mistaken, I'm not proud. But nor is it something I think anyone should be ashamed of, or that it's something unusual. I didn't pay any attention to what a pop song was about when I was 16 is all.

OK. I get that you didn't pay attention when you were 16. Same age as I was when it was released.

What I don't get that, even in this thread, you said you had no idea what Zombie was about. I do think that's unusual for someone who is interested in both music and politics - I'd have expected it to be something that seeped into your consciousness at some point. It's not like it was released three decades ago and has never been played or talked about since, is it. So yes, it is unusual.

It kind of is though. It is 30 years old but it’s not that strange to have not heard it since unless it’s on a film soundtrack or summat, esp if you weren’t that into it first

I guess I've heard it in passing from time to time on the radio or in a shop or whatever, but I've no idea how it should have seeped into my consciousness somehow - I've never had any conversations about the cranberries before tonight except to laugh about how terrible they were, and precious few of them.

I guess I've heard it in passing from time to time on the radio or in a shop or whatever, but I've no idea how it should have seeped into my consciousness somehow - I've never had any conversations about the cranberries before tonight except to laugh about how terrible they were, and precious few of them.

50 pages

Was a bit weird hearing Zombie as a kid and not really figuring out what it was about until years later. The video didn't help much either at the time, as I recall it...

It kind of is though. It is 30 years old but it’s not that strange to have not heard it since unless it’s on a film soundtrack or summat, esp if you weren’t that into it first
Except that the last time you, who never listens to lyrics, heard it on a soundtrack for a zombie movie, you already knew it was wrong for the topic. You knew. It's used a lot on soundtracks and TV shows.

Plus O'Riordan's early death meant that a lot of people talked about it again, including on here.

And this thread mentioned Derry Girls. The reason it was in that show was that it was about the Warrington bombing. We're all old enough to remember that, and we're all political enough to have paid some attention to it.

I brought it up because I kinda thought that people could appreciate the topic, or the guitar, or whatever, rather than just going "I don't like it and don't know what it was about," as if they've learned nothing since they were 16, and the only way you ever know anything about music is by listening to, or talking about, music, like it exists in a vacuum.

Not Crap.

Zombie and I Can't Be With You are great songs.

I used to like them a bit back in the 90s - have one of their albums but haven't played it for years. Might resurrect it thanks to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom