Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crap/Not Crap: The Cranberries

The Cranberries...

• Total voters
For those who don't like them, do you have any appreciation for Zombie? It comes close to making me cry in some parts and then it changes to anger, which feels a lot healthier. Music doesn't often work on me as well as this does. And although it's partly the topic, and somewhat the singing, it's the guitar too.

zombie is the worst. fingernails down a blackboard.

Ah I thought it might have been the person you mention in your post on the RIP thread.

Bit of both - the ex-guitarist was mates with the promoter (hence our previous experience with the venue) - still wasn’t going to traipse down from Leeds to be left out of pocket 🙂

oh really, I loved The Sopranos and the follow up The Stars In The Bright Sky. Alan Warner is one of my favourite authors. Must check that out when it comes out.
I lived in Edinburgh in the early 90s so was spotting locations. I think it was probably meant to come out in 2020 -- the LFF screening was the world premiere and they'd apparently literally just finished editing it right before the screening -- but guessing Covid. :(

I actually like her singing. She has a lot of expressive range while the rest of the band just doesn't which makes it sound like she's over doing it. There's something a bit off about the whole thing.

Even killer b gets it wrong sometimes
Yeah, I'm surprised TBH, because the singing isn't even the major pull of that song. And sometimes I can appreciate a song that's not my preferred style because I can still recognise that it's done that style well. I also think the topic of the song, and the personal way it was expressed, meaning that it had more impact than loads of more abstract songs on the same topic, was important, and that is something I could appreciate even if I disliked everything else about it.

Appreciate isn't the same as like. I'm fine with people not liking all the stuff I like.

For those who don't like them, do you have any appreciation for Zombie? It comes close to making me cry in some parts and then it changes to anger, which feels a lot healthier. Music doesn't often work on me as well as this does. And although it's partly the topic, and somewhat the singing, it's the guitar too.

This was on at the end of Army Of The Dead, the latest big budget zombie film. Quite inappropriate, apart from the title of the song. Whoever chose it should probably have read the lyrics instead of going ‘it’s called Zombie, perfect!’

Zombie was one of those songs (like Shiny Happy People, or Love Shack or Size of a Cow) that got played so often, and so carelessly, that you'd be hard pressed not to start to intensely dislike it. Decades on I still don't particularly want to hear it again.

I've never listened to the lyrics tbh, and have no idea what the song is about. I just find the vocal refrain really irritating.

You don't need to listen to the lyrics to know what the song is about. I mean, you're the same age as me and you don't know that Zombie by the Cranberries was about IRA attacks?

You don't need to listen to the lyrics to know what the song is about. I mean, you're the same age as me and you don't know that Zombie by the Cranberries was about IRA attacks?
nah, it was just one of those shit songs that made us leave the dancefloor is all.

First album is beautiful and the Stephen Street production just perfect. Iirc, Zombie (several years later) got slated by the music press for its, um, earnest lyrics? For some reason it does seem to be the most covered song in Bali, when we were there :)

I fucking love them. Delores had a gorgeous voice, and some of their songs are fantastic. (I am not good at describing music). Quite a few are sort of melancholy love songs, which are the best kind.

I didn't know that I knew that song but I pressed play and not only did I find I knew it but I remembered (pretty much) all the words :eek:

Thank you for posting that :)

Beginning to think Killer B is just trolling a dead singer..
He doesnt listen to lyrics?
And ctiticises the song?
Wtf?

tbf I didn’t either til I read about with reference to the film i mentioned. People don’t always listen to music for the lyrics

why would you listen to the lyrics of a song that you find annoying, or read articles in the music press about bands you don't like?

They've got some great stuff.

I like Zombie a lot more (it's not the best Zombie song though) now that I don't have to hear it on repeat in student bars. It's quite likeable now. Still can't help but find it a bit funny that the recipe for war is one part tanks, one part guns, two part bombs though.

That song is Northern Irish political Grunge :cool:

I do understand why her vocal style is a bit marmite but I find it really moving.
It evokes love and fear and anger and beauty and... well much more so well.

Back
Top Bottom