Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crap/Not Crap: The Cranberries

The Cranberries...

• Total voters
That song is Northern Irish political Grunge :cool:

I do understand why her vocal style is a bit marmite but I find it really moving.
It evokes love and fear and anger and beauty and... well much more so well.

No reason why a Limerick band can't sing about Warrington and 1916, or even the 6 counties. But any band tackling the conflict was going to be ridiculed, whatever take they had.

She had one of those voices that you couldn't fail to hear. It couldn't be drowned out or ignored. Personally I loved it, I heard beauty and sadness, but can see why others didn't feel the same. It provoked feeling, one way or the other. Not all voices do that.
I have the first 2 albums, they definitely invoke the period to me and were played a lot everywhere. They were hard to escape, which is maybe why we have opinions, albeit differing.
I dusted them off when she died, which made her voice even more beautiful and sad. But I still loved it.

nah, it was just one of those shit songs that made us leave the dancefloor is all.

It was a political song about a recent event, and that was talked about a lot at the time. You didn't need to listen to the lyrics or read the music press to know that. That's why I'm genuinely surprised you didn't know then, and still claim not to know now. It's hardly obscure.

It was a political song about a recent event, and that was talked about a lot at the time. You didn't need to listen to the lyrics or read the music press to know that. That's why I'm genuinely surprised you didn't know then, and still claim not to know now. It's hardly obscure.
I didn’t either though. A lot of people only pay attention to the music and not the lyrical content or media fanfare

No one in my circles was a fan, I guess it must not have come up.

Terrible band. I'm surprised there's so many fans. I can't listen atm but are they the ones who did the 'and their guns and their bombs' lyric that even now curls my toes? I thought they were like Stiltskin or Bush or something; big singles with a quiet bit/loud bit, annoying vocal; big in America?

No one in my circles was a fan, I guess it must not have come up.

It wasn't just mentioned in music circles though. I mean, it was about the Warrington bombings.
I didn’t either though. A lot of people only pay attention to the music and not the lyrical content or media fanfare

Not media fanfare, because that's about PR people bigging it up.

Oh well. You guys dislike a song I like, I don't care - tastes differ. And yeah, repeated playing can put you off a song even if it's actually a good song. I still honestly don't get how you two can be in 2021 and still not know what this song was about. Genuinely odd.

Terrible band. I'm surprised there's so many fans. I can't listen atm but are they the ones who did the 'and their guns and their bombs' lyric that even now curls my toes? I thought they were like Stiltskin or Bush or something; big singles with a quiet bit/loud bit, annoying vocal; big in America.

Big all over the world.

And they're not remotely like the two British rock bands you mentioned.

It wasn't just mentioned in music circles though. I mean, it was about the Warrington bombings.

Not media fanfare, because that's about PR people bigging it up.

Oh well. You guys dislike a song I like, I don't care - tastes differ. And yeah, repeated playing can put you off a song even if it's actually a good song. I still honestly don't get how you two can be in 2021 and still not know what this song was about. Genuinely odd.
I think maybe you paid attention to what a song you liked was about, and I didn't because I didn't like it. Theres nothing odd about that - I've no idea what most pop songs I don't like are about.

I didn't know what Zombie was about and I'm pretty sure one of my housemates at the time, who went through a long phase where that album was the only one he would play during sex, didn't know either.

Interesting. When Dolores O'Riordan sang the words "1916", it jumped straight out at this listener.
I suppose it would if you were Irish, but honestly it's any lyrics for me. I've mentioned it before but I once made a valentine's mix tape for an ex and it had a song on it called One Woman, by Isaac Hayes. It's a lovely slow jam but I didn't know that it was about him trying to choose between two women, and at the time, my ex's dad had just left her mum for another woman, so it didn't go down that well :oops:

Terrible band. I'm surprised there's so many fans. I can't listen atm but are they the ones who did the 'and their guns and their bombs' lyric that even now curls my toes? I thought they were like Stiltskin or Bush or something; big singles with a quiet bit/loud bit, annoying vocal; big in America?

Try living over here when you're a little kid and the Brits would stop your dad's car and point guns at you sat in the back seat..

Talk about toe curling...

I think maybe you paid attention to what a song you liked was about, and I didn't because I didn't like it. Theres nothing odd about that - I've no idea what most pop songs I don't like are about.

The Cranberries weren't a pop band...

Back
Top Bottom