Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cover versions that are better than original but also better than subsequent cover versions

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
There are no less than three "Cover versions that are better than the original." threads, so this thread is for cover versions that are better than original but also better than subsequent cover versions.

The Dubliners - Dirty Old Town. Improves significantly on the original with some key changes and more passionate singing. Listening to the The Pogues, it's evident that the singing is inferior and the new instrumentation doesn't really add anything. There's no need to mention the version by Simple Minds etc.

The original sung by the composer and his wife:

The DUBLINERS

The Pogues:

There are no less than three "Cover versions that are better than the original." threads, so this thread is for cover versions that are better than original but also better than subsequent cover versions.

The Dubliners - Dirty Old Town. Improves significantly on the original with some key changes and more passionate singing. Listening to the The Pogues, it's evident that the singing is inferior and the new instrumentation doesn't really add anything. There's no need to mention the version by Simple Minds etc.

The original sung by the composer and his wife:

The DUBLINERS

The Pogues:

I definitely prefer the original over the Dubliners' version. I think the Dubliners were a great band but this cover is just a bit cliché. I'm a big fan of Ewan MacColl/Peggy Seegers's direct simplicity/intimacy and also that touch of jazziness - it's a dirty old town that's looking to the US and making a certain connection there which I find genuinely fascinating. I like the Pogues version perhaps a bit more than the Dubliners as well - I find it easier to connect to.

I will argue that the Slit's version of Heard it Through the Grapevine is better than the original and hence better than any possible version since the original was already perfect.

it's just a lame-o cover of Cale's cover though

It's not locked in. Buckley's is sort of open, like you don't quite know if it's about to explode even when it's very restrained and this includes the guitar part as well as the singing, there's a lot dynamics. I'm also going with Cohen over Cale, there's something about Cohen's voice that makes me listen to what he's saying/singing. Edit: actually, no I'm not, I'm thinking of a live Cohen version.

Last edited:
At a guess

All along the watchtower

Hurt - opps just saw that one above.

As a replacement

Ok so maybe not better than the original for all but worth a mention. Also there has to be worse more recent versions

Going to cheat a bit here

Cyndi Lauper's I drove all night was released earlier than Roy Orbison's version even though Orbison recorded it first. Either way they're both fab but Orbison has THAT voice hitting amazing high notes. And both are miles ahead of the ghastly Celine Dion who did it later.

Controversial, I know, despite the zeitgeist feeling of the original, I prefer Tori Amos' version of Smells Like Teen Spirit

ETA
What follow-up could I select?

Back
Top Bottom