Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I follow my little area on the map. It's always 5 days behind (unless you have a link to a more up to date one?). The trouble with low numbers, is the percentage increases can be huge, and because it's a 7 day figure it gets more confused. Today it shows the 16 December figure, 7 cases, up 133% from 4 a week ago. Worrying, except that yesterday it showed 8 cases, which was an increase on 6 cases. 7 days before that. Or am I reading the figures wrong?

I look at the map for county wide data, which is 5 days behind. But, I also use the postcode checker, which gives me the up to date figure for the last 7 days in the Worthing Borough area.

Today that's 160 cases, up 84%, I then divide that by 1.1 as the population is 110k, that gives me the figure of 145 per 100k, we were on under 25 under 3 weeks ago.

Also, it now shows admissions to my local NHS Trust, which was 23 in the last 7 days, up 77%.

All very depressing. :(

Last edited:
Ok, thinking out loud - if possible in text - the evidence is pointing to significant mutations that are likely to be resulting in a significantly higher transmission rate, but what i am trying to get my head round is why there such a huge increase in transmission - if social distancing is still in place, washing hands is second nature, people are following the rules (masks etc etc) then surely this should not be happening...the only conclusion I can come to is that people are not following the rules or the virus is now significantly more contagious or have I missed something????

Last edited:
On a positive note got my negative result back. Since Friday when I took the test I have only been on fleeting visits to the shops so reckon family is fine. This Wednesday my wife has work at garden centre which is expressly allowed to remain open in all tiers. Having a garden centre open where 1 in 75 have tested positive in the past week for covid is ludicrous.

On a positive note got my negative result back. Since Friday when I took the test I have only been on fleeting visits to the shops so reckon family is fine. This Wednesday my wife has work at garden centre which is expressly allowed to remain open in all tiers. Having a garden centre open where 1 in 75 have tested positive in the past week for covid is ludicrous.

It's ludicrous but you showed symptoms and still went shopping? :hmm:

Ok, thinking out loud - if possible in text - the evidence is pointing to significant mutations that are likely to be resulting in a significantly higher transmission rate, but what i am trying to get my head round is why there such a huge increase in transmission - if social distancing is still in place, washing hands is second nature, people are following the rules (masks etc etc) then surely this should not be happening...the only conclusion I can come to is that people are not following the rules or the virus is now significantly more contagious or have I missed something????

Because schools, universities and shops ar open, quite a lot of people need to go out to work.

It's not all about parties....

e2a

Sorry sounded a bit sarcy. And yeah, your thinking is what has caused the researchers to look at e.g. the SE in particular. Why are cases so high when as you say, for the most part, restrictions are being followed.

Interesting paper. I was going to moan that "It is our aim to share these isolates with researchers as soon as feasible but it is likely that significant stocks of appropriately quality preparations will not be available until early in January." But then I realised that it is almost January now :)

No. They were offering asymptomatic tests in the borough due to the very high rate. Half my family went to a walk in test centre on Thursday. I was working so ordered a home test that I took on Friday when able to work from home.
Everyone was encouraged to take tests if they were attending schools or family members of those attending schools. If you had symptoms there was a different process.

I got an email from my daughter's (secondary) school at 4pm the day she broke up (Friday). First week back only Year 11 and key workers' kids back that week. I'd genuinely not considered myself a key worker. But I am.

I don't want her to go in. And I don't want to go back to work - I can work from home so surely I should do that?

I got an email from my daughter's (secondary) school at 4pm the day she broke up (Friday). First week back only Year 11 and key workers' kids back that week. I'd genuinely not considered myself a key worker. But I am.

I don't want her to go in. And I don't want to go back to work - I can work from home so surely I should do that?
Tell the school you are not a key worker now and are working from home anyway. That way, she won't have to go back?

They better bloody open key worker school or I give up, I've already been at odds all term with my head because he considers children isolating as unpaid childcare!

I'm extremely confident that any plans for schools to open as normal on the 4th January will be abandoned by 4th January. They might do on the Isle of Wight I guess.

The number of covid-19 patients in hospital figures certainly dont imply a normal schools picture for January in a number of regions, with other regions currently poised to potentially change trajectory too.

This graph includes figures up to 8am today by the way, even though the last date on the x axis labelling is the 18th.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 22.38.02.png

Why the fuck are we not all going into Tier 4? Surely if it's that badly transmissible we need to not make the same mistake as earlier in the pandemic by introducing measures too late and act now to slow the spread across the whole country? If the whole country that's not in Tier 4 follows the growth of the SE and London they'll be an entirely predictable fucking disaster in the coming few months?! And that's not even with the possible worse fatality/severity option that we're unsure about yet. Surely it's better to be safe and tighten things up now rather than after the horse had bolted?
Yep, we're an 800 mile long land mass that's in the main densely populated. The idea that you have different rules in areas with, at that point, different infection rates, makes no medical sense. And given how bad things are very quickly getting, there isn't much venal political logic for it either.

Why the fuck are we not all going into Tier 4?
Pretty sure we will all be in Tier 4 by January. Agreed though.
Sadly we need another lockdown. Call me a masochist, but this time it needs to be full on. No takeaways, no Amazon deliveries, supermarkets and chemists only open. And shut the schools/unis. delay term start and run over the summer if things improve. No building sites, no public transport except for taxis for key workers.

Full financial support, paid for by a wealth tax and immediate increases in CGT, IHT etc.

Because schools, universities and shops ar open, quite a lot of people need to go out to work.

It's not all about parties....

e2a

Sorry sounded a bit sarcy. And yeah, your thinking is what has caused the researchers to look at e.g. the SE in particular. Why are cases so high when as you say, for the most part, restrictions are being followed.

But do we know it is students uni & school plus workers who are the newly infected and shops should surely be social distancing...although not the case in my local Morrison's today perhaps because i am in Tier 1. Have to say i am not convinced re social distancing from what i have seen lately in my local towns.

But do we know it is students uni & school plus workers who are the newly infected and shops should surely be social distancing...although not the case in my local Morrison's today perhaps because i am in Tier 1. Have to say i am not convinced re social distancing from what i have seen lately in my local towns.
Social distancing has gone to fuck, based on my limited experience of popping into town twice for xmas shopping and going to the supermarket. At least at Sainsbury's people wear masks. In town, people wandering around and queuing up for market stalls - no masks, no social distancing.

The number of covid-19 patients in hospital figures certainly dont imply a normal schools picture for January in a number of regions, with other regions currently poised to potentially change trajectory too.

This graph includes figures up to 8am today by the way, even though the last date on the x axis labelling is the 18th.

View attachment 244667
there's very little in that graph that looks compatible with schools opening in two weeks is there?

they are not.
I suspect you might well be right, but I was astonished that the universities stayed open even after it was clear the virus was flying round the halls of residence (as was predicted on here and, well, by everyone). I do think things will get so bad that we get another layer of restrictions coming in say 2nd January, but never underestimate the failure of this government to take decisive action at the right moment.

Sadly we need another lockdown. Call me a masochist, but this time it needs to be full on. No takeaways, no Amazon deliveries, supermarkets and chemists only open. And shut the schools/unis. delay term start and run over the summer if things improve. No building sites, no public transport except for taxis for key workers.

Full financial support, paid for by a wealth tax and immediate increases in CGT, IHT etc.

You said this last time and the same reasons apply. You can't stop online deliveries as it's not all fripperies and tat people buy but essentials, food etc. Many of those peple can't get to the shops and don't have peple to go for them.

Daft idea. Again.

Last edited:
there's very little in that graph that looks compatible with schools opening in two weeks is there?

Indeed not, which is why I posted it in reply to your remarks, in agreement with them. Although that doesnt mean I can predict what this government will attempt or not attempt to do in the days ahead, other than more than they've done so far, because as usual they will be forced to.

We've needed that since October.

Rates started going up in the summer once hospitality reopened, then with up more when schools reopened to the majority of kids, students travelled all round the country to live in halls of residence. Factories open, people being pressured to go back to the office.

Annoying as it is with people barging around shops etc, I don't thaink that's where the bulk of infections are occurring.

Back
Top Bottom