Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Hospital outbreak in Tameside.

The headline has pissed me off too. First fatal outbreak of hospital-acquired Covid in England my fucking arse. Why the fuck are they framing it like that? I spoke a bunch in this thread about an outbreak in my local hospital that killed a bunch of people in June. And the article itself mentions that as many as a fifth of inpatients with Covid-19 caught it this way, and the article also makes reference to a tory MPs father who died of hospital-acquired Covid in May.

I havent had time to make a complete series of graphs relating to my local hospitals outbreak, and when I do I'm going to put it in the nerdy thread. But since the subject came up I just graphed the data showing bed occupancy at my local hospital. Look at how bad it got again by mid June as a result of the fatal outbreak here, and then just look what happened to it when they finally got a grip on infection control in the hospital, closed some wards etc. No local lockdown required to deal with this, and I think the data paints quite a vivid picture.

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 21.25.17.png

I'm resisting writing an account of staff illness in my trust and the horror as I realised we were following govt guidelines published too late and only wearing masks for patient contact for way too long. It was complete negligence from our managers and execs. First hospital outbreak was in February.

Our hospital was way behind in reacting to what was going on at the start of the pandemic. Nothing happened for ages (and I was regularly asking/hassling for info) and then it was sudden panic.

I think the confusion/dissatisfaction about the ridiculous aspects of the rules is deliberate tbh, I think they are banking on not as many people following them as last time, they're doing the bare minimum to look like they're doing something. Remember all those headlines about how the UK was 'more compliant than expected' etc.

We had a hell of a spike in Worthing, after weeks of just 2 or 3 new cases a week, it shot up to 37 in the first 7 days of this month. The County Council said most the cases were linked, and they had been successful in contact tracing, the 7-day rolling average has started to drop again, and we are down to 2 cases a day, still 7 times more than in August.

I was in a zoom meeting earlier and found out what had happened, apparently three guys in their 20's returned from holiday and decided the self-isolation rule didn't apply to them, went and met some mates at a pub, which had to close for a deep clean, then went on to a house party, and general mixing in the community over several days, spreading it about. :facepalm:

Fucking cunts. :mad:

Iwas in a zoom meeting earlier and found out what had happened, apparently three guys in their 20's returned from holiday and decided the self-isolation rule didn't apply to them, went and met some mates at a pub, which had to close for a deep clean, and then went on to a house party spreading it about
Assumed they will fined heavily at very least?

We had a hell of a spike in Worthing, after weeks of just 2 or 3 new cases a week, it shot up to 37 in the first 7 days of this month. The County Council said most the cases were linked, and they had been successful in contact tracing, the 7-day rolling average has started to drop again, and we are down to 2 cases a day, still 7 times more than in August.

I was in a zoom meeting earlier and found out what had happened, apparently three guys in their 20's returned from holiday and decided the self-isolation rule didn't apply to them, went and met some mates at a pub, which had to close for a deep clean, and then went on to a house party spreading it about. :facepalm:

Fucking cunts. :mad:

I said on the holiday thread at the start of summer how I thought holidays were going to be bad news and it would be better if we missed a year. The story you describe above has been repeated so many times over all around the country.

Last edited:
I think the confusion/dissatisfaction about the ridiculous aspects of the rules is deliberate tbh, I think they are banking on not as many people following them as last time, they're doing the bare minimum to look like they're doing something. Remember all those headlines about how the UK was 'more compliant than expected' etc.

I'm not so sure. (Also any rules like this will have bits that seem to make no sense.) I think there's quite significant internal disagreements in the Tory party and the wider establishment about how to deal with the coming months and what we have now is a holding pattern until things change and then the balance of pressure will swing towards stricter measures,

Back
Top Bottom