Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

No, here it is...

View attachment 224541

Wash, cover, make, hands, face, space.
Got it?

Also, Vanilla Ice is facing off against himself there.

All right stop incubate and listen
Corona's back with a brand new infection
The virus grabs a hold of me tightly
Temperature peaking daily and nightly
Will it ever stop yo I don't know
It's got Johnson and Bolsanaro
Check out the spin while Cummings revolves it
Mask mask baby (Corona)
Mask mask baby (Corona)
Mask mask baby (Corona)
Mask mask baby (Corona)

Some background on the decision making.

Painful week my arse. Been a painful week for the people who are continuing to suffer and die as a result of Johnson's abject failure. Been a painful week for those who have found out they're back in lockdown, and an even more ill-conceived version of it than last time. Been a painful week for all of us who have seen our hopes for some kind of normality take another swift and merciless knee to the crotch. Johnson wants to know pain, I'll fucking show him pain :mad:

but pubs know who’s there, do contact tracing, and have people there ensuring space, etc. Not quite the same as a marquee full of people feasting?

You could argue this the other way, and say that a marquee full of friends, family and community members observing a religious festival is more likely to give a shit about the welfare of those around them than a bunch of unicellular lager louts in a wetherspoons.

That's assuming anyone was planning any marquees. Seems more like people just wanted to visit their mums.

The government can't legislate for every possible thing people might do, so some people will always find loopholes and inconsistencies with these rules, and if they're selfish cunts they can exploit them.

But that's missing the point. Fucking around with this stuff can result in people dying, so stop feeling like a smug prick gaming what's going on.

I don't get why people are struggling with this, households mixing is a higher risk than things like pubs and restaurants. Anyway at this rate we're going to get a much wider and stricter lockdown across the whole country.

This was necessary - better to shut it down on the night before than not at all - but it was clumsily handled. After all who could possibly have predicted that Eid was about to happen?

“We have been singled out, otherwise why would you announce a lockdown the night before Eid? It’s sending out a certain kind of message,” he said. “I’m just grateful that my mother lives with us, but there will be so many others we will not get to see. They could have given us some notice, even just a few days, but to do it the night before when all the meals were prepared and we had made plans is just not right.”
'Singled out': Oldham's Muslim community on lockdown controls

Last edited:
This was necessary - better to shut down Eid on the night before than not at all - but it was clumsily handled. After all who could possibly have predicted that Eid was about to happen?

Guess it depends on when the stats came out showing a lockdown was necessary. If it was couple of weeks ago and they'd sat on it then yeah, but my understanding was that it only became clear the day or two before. Also worked with half a dozen Muslims last night and every single one was supportive of the announcement and lockdown, they don't want any more spread in their families and wider groups that there needs to be.

If they'd delayed the announcement they'd have been rightly condemned for the delay and risking lives.

I let rip at three maskless people in Aldi today - selfish bastards .. it made me wear my mask all up the street,
I had to go in the dodgy booze and vape shop that doubles as a post-office for my Amazon parcel and I have a nasty feeling I want to sent the item back ... I felt my health at risk in there.
No masks in the Polish shop as per usual ...

but pubs know who’s there, do contact tracing, and have people there ensuring space, etc. Not quite the same as a marquee full of people feasting?
That might be how it's supposed to work, but is that actually happening in most pubs?

I've been to two pubs so far - one was taking no details at all, one had a piece of paper on a table that people could choose to write their number on if they wanted to.

Guess it depends on when the stats came out showing a lockdown was necessary. If it was couple of weeks ago and they'd sat on it then yeah, but my understanding was that it only became clear the day or two before. Also worked with half a dozen Muslims last night and every single one was supportive of the announcement and lockdown, they don't want any more spread in their families and wider groups that there needs to be.

If they'd delayed the announcement they'd have been rightly condemned for the delay and risking lives.

It’s probably down to Oldham showing a rise in weekly cases from 44 to 135. The wider issue in the area has been clear for a couple of weeks though.

I've hopefully found a better option for my Amazon deliveries - a different convenience store - near the park, so I can combine collections with a nice walk - and I'm returning the item via the Hermes counter at the COOP where I also buy my soup ....

I've hopefully found a better option for my Amazon deliveries - a different convenience store - near the park, so I can combine collections with a nice walk - and I'm returning the item via the Hermes counter at the COOP where I also buy my soup ....
Can’t you just get them delivered to your home, save the hassle?

You could argue this the other way, and say that a marquee full of friends, family and community members observing a religious festival is more likely to give a shit about the welfare of those around them than a bunch of unicellular lager louts in a wetherspoons.

That's assuming anyone was planning any marquees. Seems more like people just wanted to visit their mums.

FWIW I really miss my ma.

She’s fine but fucked if I know when I’ll get to visit her again.

As far as I’m aware this (the embedded tweet in the original quoted message above) is wrong anyway - there isn’t anywhere where you’re not allowed to have a friend over to visit where you are allowed to meet them in a pub - all the NW areas where the visiting rules have been changed also have the rule that you don’t interact with other households in pubs, restaurants as well.
Be nice if the government could actually tell people, rather than them getting their information filtered through several layers of media (social and other) obfuscation from an original tweet by Matt Hancock that got it wrong in the first place.

Shambles upon shambles.

As far as I’m aware this (the embedded tweet in the original quoted message above) is wrong anyway - there isn’t anywhere where you’re not allowed to have a friend over to visit where you are allowed to meet them in a pub - all the NW areas where the visiting rules have been changed also have the rule that you don’t interact with other households in pubs, restaurants as well.
Be nice if the government could actually tell people, rather than them getting their information filtered through several layers of media (social and other) obfuscation from an original tweet by Matt Hancock that got it wrong in the first place.

Shambles upon shambles.
The guidance issued when pubs reopened was a maximum of six people drinking together, from a maximum of two households. But it was just guidance anyway.

I know plenty of Muslims who drink in pubs and quite a few non Muslims who meet up with friends and family at home. Can remember seeing someone in a local off licence picking up two four packs at the end of Ramadan with an Eid Mubarak greeting. It pisses me off when it is assumed that being Muslim and getting pissed are exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom