Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

10 days ago, I'd have thought we'd be closing schools and sports events with over 300 cases. But somehow we are way behind Germany and Italy and haven't had say, a large number of casualties say, in a particular care home. All of that + the desire to keep the economy rolling seem to be dominant in what passes for the mind of government.

10 days ago, I'd have thought we'd be closing schools and sports events with over 300 cases. But somehow we are way behind Germany and Italy and haven't had say, a large number of casualties say, in a particular care home. All of that + the desire to keep the economy rolling seem to be dominant in what passes for the mind of government.

The government is acting on the medical & scientific advice, which is why opposition parties are currently backing their actions.

They are, as you can see HERE, they are not going to lock-down the whole of the UK based on a couple of hundred cases spread so thinly across the country.

Couple of hundred confirmed cases. There’s been enough discussion on the big thread already of why the true number of cases will be much higher, but using Prof Neil Ferguson’s yard stick of 1000 times multiplier (from 0:50 in below video), then UK cases should be around 3000 now, with 3 deaths confirmed.

And what that means for Italy’s situation is not good at all.

Last edited:
There are so many factors at play it's hard to judge why Italy is much worse currently.

Seems like the localised outbreaks there have been really bad there tho, which isnt currently the case in the UK.

Other factors are likely:

Timescale (likely that the virus spread in Italy all through February, coming directly from Wuhan at some more earlier stage)
Unreported cases
Weather/temperature (generally not been so cold in the UK and perhaps not such significant shifts in daytime/night-time temperatures)
Age of people affected
Super-spreader individuals (bad luck essentially)
Different varieties of the virus (potentially)
Population density
Warnings and public health advice (Time lag may have benefited UK)
Success in isolating individuals and encouraging self-isolation in UK (could quickly change)
Schengen/Freedom of movement differences (Significant daily traffic & movement between Switzerland/France/Northern Italy/Austria)
Conversely, more limited movement within rural areas of Italy leading to more contained regional spread than would be the case in the UK

Really hope that the strategy to spin it out and limit spread here is successful. Quite worried now. I think it's likely there is inevitably gonna be controls on events in the near future.

Hmm, I'm still not feeling great - had a bug that was making me feel tired and headachy with slight temp (though not fever) at end of last week, in the end rang 111 early on Saturday morning and their feelings was it didn't sound like Covid 19 at all so not to worry, then felt rather better in that afternoon. Fatigue's gone but still feeling headachey and now seem to be getting a snotty cold (which the kids have got), so although I still don't think it's Covid and I don't need to self-isolate, I'm wondering if the pro-social thing to do is semi-isolate and keep working from home and avoid indoor gatherings until it shows more sign of clearing up. Cos going out there and potentially giving people another virus just adds to burden for 111/NHS and people worrying it's Covid and would be generally unhelpful. I can totally do my job from home and no important meetings this week.

The government is acting on the medical & scientific advice, which is why opposition parties are currently backing their actions.
I'd agree from what I've read (which admittedly isn't much) that what our government are doing is broadly within the scientific consensus - maybe at the laissez faire end of that consensus. But expert advice is rarely the full tale, see for example the sexed up dossiers. At the very least there will be tensions between keeping the economy running and tory ideology on one side and the pure science on the other.

On a related point, I work in a university and have just been asked for details as to how the modules I teach might run 'remotely' in the event of a shutdown. Seems to me that might have been something to start planning a week ago, though I'm not sure if the timing is down to the institution where I work or the governmental/civil service level.

Another patient in the UK has died after contracting the coronavirus, the NHS has confirmed.

A Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust spokesperson said:

The Trust can confirm that a patient in their 70s being treated for underlying health conditions has died. The patient had tested positive for Covid-19.
The family has been informed and our condolences and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.
We will not be commenting further and ask that everybody respects the family’s privacy.

6m ago 15:34

I'd agree from what I've read (which admittedly isn't much) that what our government are doing is broadly within the scientific consensus - maybe at the laissez faire end of that consensus. But expert advice is rarely the full tale, see for example the sexed up dossiers. At the very least there will be tensions between keeping the economy running and tory ideology on one side and the pure science on the other.

I would suggest everyone watches Chris Whitty, the Chief Medical Officer for England, being quizzed by the select committee, or google & read in-depth reports on his advice, which is the advice that the government is following, it's all very clear & logical.

So I'm a bit confused today (probably because I've come down with something) so here's what I've gathered, please let me know if it's correct or not:

The government is having a cobra meeting, this is the second one they've had over coronavirus

We're expecting them to encourage social distancing, notably telling over 70s not to go to big gatherings, encouraging people to work from home

Advice yesterday was still the same as it had been - aka only worry if you've been in direct contact with a confirmed case or travelled from an affected area abroad. Is the line beginning to change on this today?

I would suggest everyone watches Chris Whitty, the Chief Medical Officer for England, being quizzed by the select committee, or google & read in-depth reports on his advice, which is the advice that the government is following, it's all very clear & logical.

It's good, but also now nearly 5 days out of date.

So I'm a bit confused today (probably because I've come down with something) so here's what I've gathered, please let me know if it's correct or not:

The government is having a cobra meeting, this is the second one they've had over coronavirus

We're expecting them to encourage social distancing, notably telling over 70s not to go to big gatherings, encouraging people to work from home

Advice yesterday was still the same as it had been - aka only worry if you've been in direct contact with a confirmed case or travelled from an affected area abroad. Is the line beginning to change on this today?

The meeting is long over, no changes at the moment, we are still in in 'containment' phase.

The government has previously said "social distancing" measures to slow the spread of the virus could include a ban on sporting events and other large gatherings, and encouraging people to work from home rather than use crowded trains and buses.

Such a step would require agreement from chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty and chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance.

Nope!

UK to remain in coronavirus 'containment' phase

I have felt well rough since Saturday. Headache, aching limbs, tiredness, cough but no fever.

Seeing as I'm a type 1 diabetic I thought I'd better call 111 but if you haven't been abroad recently or have had exposure to a confirmed case they appear to not want to know

I have felt well rough since Saturday. Headache, aching limbs, tiredness, cough but no fever.

Seeing as I'm a type 1 diabetic I thought I'd better call 111 but if you haven't been abroad recently or have had exposure to a confirmed case they appear to not want to know

Yes one of the consequences of not changing phase yet is that they are sticking to the old criteria for suspecting cases, which is based on travel history or contact with confirmed cases, rather than much broader criteria of suspicion which will kick in once wide scale community transmission is full confirmed and acted on. Only other way to get tested now is to be so seriously ill that they pick you up via testing of pneumonia cases in hospitals.

Moreover that "expert advice" is absolutely political. Science that connects with humans is, and must be, political.
On a related point, I work in a university and have just been asked for details as to how the modules I teach might run 'remotely' in the event of a shutdown.
Yep starting to come out here. Directions to upload more material to the virtual learning environment. Same time as there's the biggest ever strike of university workers, strange that.

My GP seems to be locked in. I rang this morning to make an appointment for routine matters, and the receptionist grilled me about my age, whereabouts in the last few weeks, have you got x symptoms of Coronav?, and then 'a doctor will phone you later'.

No news since.

Wrong thread, sorry

Do you have any good healthcare contacts from your routine diabetes management that you can turn to? (GP, diabetic clinic, on the phone etc, not in person). Given that 111 wont help until the protocols for suspecting cases are changed, you either need to find a GP or whoever that could maybe possibly bypass that and approve you for testing, or if that avenue doesnt seem to be open, non-Covid-19-specific advice for type 1 diabetics during influenza-like-illnesses should be followed. Hows your blood sugar level management?

A family member of a kid in my son's year has been diagnosed. The child is self-isolating as is a teacher who has had contact with the person who has tested positive.

As you can imagine, the school facebook is going bonkers

Yeah, daughter's head teacher had to send round an email to quell Whatsapp rumours of someone being diagnosed.

Doesn't look like it - kind of stupid as it blatantly just isn't that any more, but I guess they're trying to prioritise who they test.

First confirmed case in Windsor and Maidenhead.

People are demanding that they are told exactly which part of the Borough the person is from, I know people are scared, I appreciate why as I'm in a high risk group, but it's like a fucking witch hunt :(

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this today. Saw pics from the Basque Country where whole streets have been cordoned off and those living in the building are pretty much held there even if not sick. How long before plague like X's start appearing?

Back
Top Bottom