Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

At the kabbess’ university, they have been requested to not wear masks during lectures. Something that horrifies her and, I suspect, the lecturers too.

This is weird. I can understand if not condone the lecturer being asked not to wear one, but why the students? What difference could it make to anything? What about niqabs and so on?

This is weird. I can understand if not condone the lecturer being asked not to wear one, but why the students? What difference could it make to anything? What about niqabs and so on?
I know. It's really bizarre. I think it shows the desperation of universities to make everything "normal" again. My interpretation is that the curtain has been pulled back on the fact that without lectures, universities often aren't really providing much of a service. Rather than fix this, they want to get the students back in the lecture theatre before they notice this.

It's not an order to not wear a mask, it's a request. But given that your average 22 year old is not that keen to wear a mask in the first place, it's basically eliminating masks.

This is a medical MSc, by the way, in the School of Medicine and Dentistry in Barts hospital.

How many children have to be hospitalised before it's regarded as serious? How many deaths?
I'd naively assumed the great British public would be more affected by Covid's effect on young people but I was wrong about that.

Meanwhile, people are celebrating that it's becoming endemic.
As if that meant it's attenuated.

Malaria is endemic.
So is yellow fever.
Living with it =/= ignoring it.

How many children have to be hospitalised before it's regarded as serious? How many deaths?
I'd naively assumed the great British public would be more affected by Covid's effect on young people but I was wrong about that.
Attitudes are affected by media coverage, absolute numbers, and the reassurances that the establishment came out with when some of the numbers and trends were getting more attention online recently.

Walk in vaccinations for the 5-11 group with vulnerabilities has now begun today, so this can be added to the mix.

By the way I've just in the last hour been reading a paper SAGE looked at in January which investigated paediatric intensive care data for 2020. As well as looking at covid numbers and the effect of cancelled planned operations, they also noticed some data pertaining to diabetes and also the effect that lockdowns etc had on other respiratory conditions that normally cause a larger peak of child intensive care admissions. It concludes with this:

During 2020 we found a significant reduction in age–sex adjusted prevalence of unplanned PICU admissions, the number of PICU admissions, particularly secondary to respiratory diseases, and fewer child deaths in PICU. While it is possible that these may point towards a beneficial impact of population-based public health interventions during the COVID-19 pandemic, wider societal impact on physical and mental health of children are unclear. However, this could be considered as useful information, at least in part, to generate a public discourse related to the population costs and benefits of continuing adoption of public health interventions in some form or other to relieve annual winter pressures on paediatric critical care and childhood illnesses.

Is there actually going to be a large public debate about that sort of thing? I have big doubts about whether there will be many signs of that. Our priorities suck!

I'd have thought there was an alternative to just letting it rip for people who are vulnerable and particularly those in care homes (hospitals, too, although I'm not sure what measures are being taken there).

There's no alternative to reality (OK, there probably is) but it is sensible to respond to reality by, eg, washing hands, masking up, getting the jab.

Well no, we should all have the jab as we do with flu, we should carry on with mask wearing as has happened in Japan etc. since the early 2000's and we should wash hands regularly anyway, in spite of it not being a significant vector of Covid, we should just do it.

I'd have thought there was an alternative to just letting it rip for people who are vulnerable and particularly those in care homes (hospitals, too, although I'm not sure what measures are being taken there).
With hospitals there were some specific relaxations made to pandemic inection control procedures a month or two ago, but much of that stuff remains firmly in place. It does have an impact on capacity, but I would hope some changes stick and lead to a permanent change to the extent to which hospitals have long been a contributory factor to seasonal resiratory disease deaths. When people shit on about how many flu deaths we live with, I would rather consider what lessons from the pandemic could be applied to permanently reducing such things. This very much includes care home and hospital infection control, routine testing, etc.

What I hope is that we dont see a big resurgence in flu for several seasons to come, and that people start to wonder why, and stumble upon some of this stuff in addition to other explanations.

Well no, we should all have the jab as we do with flu, we should carry on with mask wearing as has happened in Japan etc. since the early 2000's and we should wash hands regularly anyway, in spite of it not being a significant vector of Covid, we should just do it.
We dont all have the flu jab, I dont think I've ever had one because I still fall in a broad age group in the middle, a group which the flu vaccine programme has not been expanded to cover yet. The establishment probably has a similar thing in mind for covid vaccines going forwards, if they think they can get away with that approach and make the hospitalisation numbers add up.

Another paper SAGE looked at this month, in regards voluntary risk-mitigation behaviours, a very important aspect, especially these days with less formal rules:

Over 95% of survey respondents (NALSPAC=2,686 and NTwins=6,155) reported some risk mitigation behaviours, with being fully vaccinated and using home testing kits the most frequently reported behaviours. Less than half of those respondents reported that their behaviour was due to “plan B”. We estimate that without risk mitigation behaviours, the Omicron variant is consistent with an effective reproduction number between 2.5 and 3.5. Due to the reduced vaccine effectiveness against infection with the Omicron variant, our modelled estimates suggest that between 55% and 60% of the English population could be infected during the current wave, translating into between 15,000 and 46,000 cumulative deaths, depending on assumptions about vaccine effectiveness. We estimate that voluntary risk reduction measures could reduce the effective reproduction number to between 1.8 and 2.2 and reduce the cumulative number of deaths by up to 24%.
Conclusions
We conclude that voluntary measures have substantially reduce the projected impact of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant but that voluntary measures alone would be unlikely to completely control transmission.

We dont all have the flu jab, I dont think I've ever had one because I still fall in a broad age group in the middle, a group which the flu vaccine programme has not been expanded to cover yet. The establishment probably has a similar thing in mind for covid vaccines going forwards, if they think they can get away with that approach and make the hospitalisation numbers add up.
Anyone can get a flu vaccine, its about £16 in boots if you don't qualify for a free one.
Its efficacy is hugely variable, rarely about 60%, sometimes as low as 10% so its debatable its worthwhile if your young and healthy.
Saying that I've had bad flu twice in my life 15 and 21. Unflinchingly brutal with no end. It took me over two months to fully recover both times. Covid-19 was nothing in comparison.

Anyone can get a flu vaccine, its about £16 in boots if you don't qualify for a free one.
Its efficacy is hugely variable, rarely about 60%, sometimes as low as 10% so its debatable its worthwhile if your young and healthy.
Saying that I've had bad flu twice in my life 15 and 21. Unflinchingly brutal with no end. It took me over two months to fully recover both times. Covid-19 was nothing in comparison.
There is a very big difference between people being able to get a vaccine and there being a large national programme that encourages a high percentage of uptake.

It was a horrible flu epidemic in the UK in 1989-90 that really kickstarted mass flu vaccination here, although its happene gradually in many stages. Its been expanding ever since, with older people given a different sort of flu vaccine in recent years due to low efficacy against H3N2 from the previous vaccine in the last decade or so, and the programme has also been expanded in children quite significantly. There has also been a lot of effort put into trying to improve the percentage of NHS workers who get the flu vaccine. How much they seek to expand the programme further in future is unclear to me.

I bounced back amazingly well from a serious dose of flu at 53, but the flu at 58 and especially 59 (2018/2019) properly floored me - and if at 60-plus I'm going to need covid top-ups, I hope I will be offered a free flu jab too ... hopefully the vaccine efficacy will improve thanks to what is being learned about SARSCV2

I know. It's really bizarre. I think it shows the desperation of universities to make everything "normal" again. My interpretation is that the curtain has been pulled back on the fact that without lectures, universities often aren't really providing much of a service. Rather than fix this, they want to get the students back in the lecture theatre before they notice this.

It's not an order to not wear a mask, it's a request. But given that your average 22 year old is not that keen to wear a mask in the first place, it's basically eliminating masks.

This is a medical MSc, by the way, in the School of Medicine and Dentistry in Barts hospital.
Yes, the 'normality' thing is really important in Universities at the moment. It's also a 'competitive normality', given that the institution up the road might be doing more of the day to day reality of student life. The other thing is vice chancellors are desperate to align themselves with government thinking, even when that thinking is about saving johnson's arse.

it looks like around 120 deaths within 28 days of a positive test in under 19s since the start of the pandemic. not deaths necessarily because of covid - not shown in data - but within positive test.
obviously sad but at the same time it's statistically a very small number. more kids die in road accidents in london every year, for example.

I got a flu voucher from work this year but after repeated attempts to book an injection, I gave up.

There is a very big difference between people being able to get a vaccine and there being a large national programme that encourages a high percentage of uptake.

Everyone in the vulnerable group has been offered it for free for ages. Frau Bahn helps out at flu clinics in the autumn, they get though 1000's of old codgers in a day. Also primary age kids get it too. And anyone else who wants it can pay for it. So it's fairly ubiquitous and I would have thought the Covid boosters will be similar, no?

What are you arguing from your sample of one? That Covid isn't that bad? Well, it kills some people. You have to be very ill to be admitted to hospital, so 'mild' is a low barrier.

it looks like around 120 deaths within 28 days of a positive test in under 19s since the start of the pandemic. not deaths necessarily because of covid - not shown in data - but within positive test.
obviously sad but at the same time it's statistically a very small number. more kids die in road accidents in london every year, for example.
Yeah, sorry - I was improperly focusing on the kneejerk dead kids number rather than people (children are people) who become ill and/or suffer long Covid. (And yes, I know there are those who argue that long Covid isn't a thing but they can GTF.)
Sad, but look at road deaths... Can you hear what you're saying? 'OK, this thing is sad but that thing over there is worse'?

The deaths numbers have been updated for London since the last time I looked (I think). They now go up to the 19th Jan and seem to show a peak in over-60s deaths having passed now.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 16.42.41.jpg

I wasn’t offered it with my booster on 21 December

Mine was 10th December, but Frau Bahn's was the day before at the same place and she wasn't offered it, so I guess they were just jabbing folk with whatever they had to hand. She was able to get one at pharmacy attached to our GP's free of charge, in spite of being under 50, it was a walk in service, no queue at all.

Back
Top Bottom