Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I was walking home from the park earlier with the high street moderately busy ... I'll sometimes cross the street and back to avoid a busy bus stop, but today I wanted the sunshine... I'll put a low-grade mask on when it gets too crowded for comfort, but today I was initially just hanging back, and this young woman sneezed twice into the breeze in front of me ... at the end of the day a very low chance of infection and I've survived 18 months like this, but it did make me wonder if she even gave any thought to what she'd done ... she didn't look around to see me holding my breath and putting my mask on ...

It's hard to break habits of a lifetime though - I still sometimes don't think before coughing.

But yes correct reaction on holding breath ...

Well, my SIL isn't happy. After all their care in shielding ...

The youngest member of their three-generation household (probably) brought the plague back from school - no symptoms - and everyone else has now tested +ve and they are isolating.

(SIL is isolating, but will probably stay testing -ve, as her health vulnerabilities and key NHS worker status meant she got a booster jab within a week of the programme starting ...)

Bezza's SiL & her OH + family have all just had covid ... but are now recovered.
Source in their case was a twat coming in with covid symptoms at OH's place of work [coughing etc] ...

Rang the "plague pit" [Sil's description !} for an update earlier.

Situation generally improving with the kids and the middle generation, although youngest still not showing symptoms ! but her father is still coughing for Team GB [his comment, although not quite as much as he was].

SiL is still testing -ve on daily LFT and awaiting another PCR result, as suggested by her doc and the hospital she works in [the first test was -ve but still no symptoms]. Looks like her booster worked, touch wood.

Because for most parents covid doesn't feel like a threat to their children. The risks of social isolation, impact on education, stress at home etc are much greater.
It does present a significant threat of disability, though threat of death is low, and that threat can be reduced with relatively easy measures that are being taken just across the channel, both in schools and in society more generally in order to keep the infection rate lower.

It does present a significant threat of disability, though threat of death is low, and that threat can be reduced with relatively easy measures that are being taken just across the channel, both in schools and in society more generally in order to keep the infection rate lower.
I'm not disputing that there should be more (any) mitigation measures in place in schools, but for most parents the question is "am I more worried about my child catching covid than I am about them catching chicken pox or glandular fever?". And generally the answer is no. I haven't heard any parent mention long covid. Or heard of any child locally who has had covid having any lingering effects.

Positive case numbers in all manner of older age groups were up again this past week compared to the week before, so in theiry hospital admissions in England will continue to increase. As usual these are cases by test specimen date so most recent data is incomplete. Also some proportion of the valley before the current rise was down to the dodgy lab false negatives.

By broad age groups of my own creation, levels are now higher than they were during the earlier peaks in this wave.

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 20.40.jpg

I don't trust MH stats. My GP recently claimed to me that she had problems referring patients because there two routes - Comunity Treatrment team and Single Point of Access and she has had patients rejected by both on the grounds she should have referred the patient to the other route.

Seems in SLAM and Lambeth at least there are bureaucrats happy to do like this 1964 book of cod psychology to keep their diaries/wards clear - until an MP gets killed.
51bIqPIE69L._SL350_.jpg

I don't trust MH stats. My GP recently claimed to me that she had problems referring patients because there two routes - Comunity Treatrment team and Single Point of Access and she has had patients rejected by both on the grounds she should have referred the patient to the other route.

Seems in SLAM and Lambeth at least there are bureaucrats happy to do like this 1964 book of cod psychology to keep their diaries/wards clear - until an MP gets killed.
51bIqPIE69L._SL350_.jpg
That book, while definitely 1960s, is definitely not "cod psychology". Although I expect it gets used, and cited, by lots of cod psychologists. I've used ideas from that book, and Berne's Transactional Analysis theory, extensively in my client work, and am in no doubt that it can be very helpful in many cases.

I agree with you re stats - we put every barrier possible in the way of people seeking MH help or diagnosis, and I am absolutely sure that many, many people are dissuaded from seeking help, either from previous unsatisfactory encounters, or because the general difficulty of getting a referral, let alone any decent treatment, is so high..

Which is not to say that nobody gets access to treatment, or even successful treatment, but the bar is set very high. Case in point - I run a counselling service providing 6 sessions of solution-focused therapy for people with mild to moderate severity. The pathway to access is very flat, in that we will accept self-referrals (from patients registered with the surgery we operate from), but there is a HUGE gulf of coverage for anyone whose problems require longer-term therapy (non-existent), or who are looking for treatment for trauma, or significant illness: the local psychotherapy day service has a waiting list of somewhere between 18 months and 2 years.

Which is without factoring in the rapidly rising caseload that is emerging as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic </offtopic>

As someone who has been ,very recently, been referred to the Community Care Team. Are you saying it a fob off by my GP ?
Frankly it would not surprise me.........

That book, while definitely 1960s, is definitely not "cod psychology". Although I expect it gets used, and cited, by lots of cod psychologists. I've used ideas from that book, and Berne's Transactional Analysis theory, extensively in my client work, and am in no doubt that it can be very helpful in many cases.
I want to second this. All knowledge is situated in a time and place and this book is no exception — it displays all the misogyny of its era, for example. But the ideas are brilliant and continue to be interpretable right through to very 21st century psychological thought regarding intersubjectivity. His points were clear and concrete and concern the way that people don’t act in isolation but within small-scale (as well as macro) systems that direct their subjective understanding of the situation they are in.

As someone who has been ,very recently, been referred to the Community Care Team. Are you saying it a fob off by my GP ?

Probably not. MH services are patchy as fuck but most people involved will still try their best to get you the best and most suitable treatment possible. Community care teams are multi-agency IIRC; so you'll have psych nurses, clinical psychologists, social workers etc involved in a person's care as and where needed.

Good thread here:

Not bad. Could probably find plenty of other things to add to that list too. Such as the changes to self-isolation rules for close contacts, and lack of other mitigations in schools. Its also possible that Delta has evolved in the UK in a manner that gives it an additional transmission advantage.

I thought the sick pay bit was really important, we are such a shit country by those metrics.
Yeah, no demonstration of what a disgrace the establishment in the UK is was really necessary, but the pandemic certainly provided numerous vivid demonstrations of this anyway. Its been this way for far longer than I've been alive, and its no consolation that the terrible establishment instincts and priorities in this country made it so much easier for me to provide reasonably accurate pandemic commentary. The failings were so predictable, as is the lack of interest in reducing such failings.

Probably not. MH services are patchy as fuck but most people involved will still try their best to get you the best and most suitable treatment possible. Community care teams are multi-agency IIRC; so you'll have psych nurses, clinical psychologists, social workers etc involved in a person's care as and where needed.
Thanks, I just need to be aware. I missed an opportunity about a year ago. Since I posted have had a call from my GP which is pretty good service, mentioned my concerns ,I have been referred to our local Wellbeing team and have a 45 minute telephone consultation next week. Moving forward.

Does anybody know, what happens to tourists / visitors to the UK if they get a positive test result whilst they are here or just before they intend to fly home?
I'm curious because of what's happening to my friend, currently incarcerated in a quarantine facility in Spain, which is not at all pleasant but is free.
All i can find online is the government website which sends people here, to book and pay their 2 grand, but thats just for if you are coming in from a red list country, what if you catch it whilst visiting.

Last edited:
Speaking more generally, there are various studies which suggest a greater risk of death in the weeks after covid. The one I'm going to link to now is not from the UK and involves those who were initially hospitalised with covid, but I believe there is a broader version of this phenomenon at work too.

Frankly it would not surprise me.........
Its fine if they accept the referral - but my GP was saying they - in her experience - bounce people around in Lambeth presumably with the effect of denying treatment.
This is of course anecdotal - but I find it credible.

50,000 positive cases in one day in the UK.

How does this compare to countries like France and Germany?

How bad are we fucking it up?

Why isn't it massive news?

Back
Top Bottom