Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus Fears Sparks Pogrom Against Africans in China

Rimbaud

So, Chinese state media has been going into overdrive with the narrative that China beat the virus and all the cases people are experiencing are brought in my foreigners, and that the virus never came from China.

This has been taken to the absurd extreme of targeting Africans for coronavirus. In Guangzhou right now there are hundreds of African students and business people sleeping on the streets as they have been evicted from their homes, and no hotels will accept them, they are even chased out of restaurants and shops. They are not allowed in public transport and in many cases their passports have been confiscated so they cannot leave the country. Community leaders, despite having tested negative for the virus, and kept under house arrest.

This is happening all over China, Africans are the main target but it is happening to all foreigners to greater or lesser degrees. It amounts to a humanitarian crisis. Nobody is helping them, they've been effectively left to die.

This is a country which has millions of Muslims in concentration camps, but so far that's been hidden away in the sparsely populated North West. Now people in major East China cities and from other backgrounds are learning the hard way true nature of Xi Jinping's "New Era."

This is why Hong Kong is fighting, if you've been paying attention to Chinese language media in recent years this is far from a surprising development, and IMO it is likely to get worse before it gets better. China has been heading towards a dark place for a while. As foreigners and foreign investment retreats from China and they run out of scapegoats for the failing economy, things are going to get deeply unpleasant.

This is a country which has millions of Muslims in concentration camps, but so far that's been hidden away in the sparsely populated North West. Now people in major East China cities and from other backgrounds are learning the hard way true nature of Xi Jinping's "New Era."

This is why Hong Kong is fighting, if you've been paying attention to Chinese language media in recent years this is far from a surprising development, and IMO it is likely to get worse before it gets better. China has been heading towards a dark place for a while. As foreigners and foreign investment retreats from China and they run out of scapegoats for the failing economy, things are going to get deeply unpleasant.
We've been discussing Xinjiang for more than two years here xinjiang, prc lab for repression

This doesn't surprise me much. I don't know huge amounts about China but I do read Chinese web novels. They can be... Well calling them jingoistic would be a mild way of putting it.

Back
Top Bottom