Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Confess your literary ignorance

I find it impossible to read anything written before about 1940.... Ive never read a book to the end from before 1940 - in most cases Ive stopped on the first page.

I've never read any big fat Russian novel. Too hard to keep track when there are three times as many names as characters, I've heard.
same. the best Ive done is Gorky's Mother - got a third into that...its an easy read tbf.

Also anything with loads of characters is instant switch off for me. I remember this with my attempts to read Rushdie's Midnight Children and 100 years of Solitude and also Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things <all classic books supposedly, but my brain just cant handle all these multiple characters and massive family trees

I love 20th Century fiction, particularly from the deep south and what generally falls into the legacy of Faulkner's The Sound And The Fury, but the only time I tried to read it about 20 years ago I found it very hard going and gave up on it. Keep meaning to try again, maybe this year :)

I find it impossible to read anything written before about 1940.... Ive never read a book to the end from before 1940 - in most cases Ive stopped on the first page.

There are some real corkers though, Bram Stoker's Dracula remains one of the finest novels ever written. Crime & Punishment is very readable, both are equally gripping.

I made a decision about the same time I joined in the reading challenge in 2012 to throw away all of my literary prejudices, of which I had quite a few. I'd given up on sci-fi, fantasy, didn't bother with old stuff, avoided epic family dramas, thought I didn't like magic realism etc. As soon as I started reading outside my, by then, narrow field of interest, I discovered a whole new world of books that opened my eyes to all sorts of things. Going for Pulitzer/Booker prize winners and the classics was a great starting point.

I started to do it more with music after that too, instead of narrowing myself down to a small period of Jamaican music as I'd done for many years, and that's been really refreshing too. I need to do it with every aspect of my life I think.

One of the oldest books Ive read to the end is Walk on The Wild Side, which almost fits in to that deep south thing - I thought it was older but its from 1956, but still a definite step back in time though, and filled with that old drawl and slang - may as well be poetry

images

One of the oldest books Ive read to the end is Walk on The Wild Side, which almost fits in to that deep south thing - I thought it was older but its from 1956, but still a definite step back in time though, and filled with that old drawl and slang - may as well be poetry

Cheers, that looks right up my street :thumbs:

There are some real corkers though, Bram Stoker's Dracula remains one of the finest novels ever written. Crime & Punishment is very readable, both are equally gripping.

I made a decision about the same time I joined in the reading challenge in 2012 to throw away all of my literary prejudices, of which I had quite a few. I'd given up on sci-fi, fantasy, didn't bother with old stuff, avoided epic family dramas, thought I didn't like magic realism etc. As soon as I started reading outside my, by then, narrow field of interest, I discovered a whole new world of books that opened my eyes to all sorts of things. Going for Pulitzer/Booker prize winners and the classics was a great starting point.

I started to do it more with music after that too, instead of narrowing myself down to a small period of Jamaican music as I'd done for many years, and that's been really refreshing too. I need to do it with every aspect of my life I think.

Good move! Happy new year Ringo :)

With literature its not out of trying though - its just puts me to sleep. I think the Russians might be a way in - it translates into what feels like modern prose in English - maybe something to do with the Russian language, or the unpretentiousness of Russian writers

Good move! Happy new year Ringo :)

With literature its not out of trying though - its just puts me to sleep. I think the Russians might be a way in - it translates into what feels like modern prose in English - maybe something to do with the Russian language, or the unpretentiousness of Russian writers
It depends very much on the translation. Avoid Constance Garnett.

Cheers, that looks right up my street :thumbs:
:thumbs:
I only have one more tip from my literary ignorance:
I have this on the shelf but not tried it yet - from the 30s USA - Bukowski rates it very very highly as an early US classic written with the modern tightness and seeming simplicity, or something....I havent read it so dont know... I like Bukowskis attitude to writing and language so it appeals to me ... hard times in depression era LA....

images

I've never read any big fat Russian novel. Too hard to keep track when there are three times as many names as characters, I've heard.
It's taken me about 30 years to get quarter of the way through volume 1 of War and Peace.

Back
Top Bottom