Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concorde back in the air?

Oh hello....

Club Concorde, a group of ex-pilots, maintainers, engineers, airline execs and Concorde enthusiasts has unveiled a plan that aims to put a Concorde back in the air by 2019, and supposedly they have a pile of cash to see their plans through to fruition.
Club Concorde plans on doing just that, with an example stored at Le Bourget airport in Paris at the top of their shopping list. They want to acquire and restore the aircraft, potentially for a sum around $180 million dollars, and return it to flight, with a target date of 2019 for the iconic jet to rise again. Once flying, Club Concorde wants to use the aircraft for flypasts, air shows, corporate event and even private charters.

Yes, we have heard of attempts to get the Concorde back in the sky before. Even Sir Richard Branson wanted to continue operating the Concordes once Air France and British Airways had announced their retirement.What makes this time different is the fact that many years have past since the jet’s controversial retirement, and that Club Concorde apparently has an investor with very, very deep pockets.
Concorde Will Fly Again, Says Group With Massive War Chest

I would have thought that there would be unsurmountable problems in terms of regulations (trained pilots, flight simulators to train on, safety / airworthiness certificates etc) to say nothing of spare parts and qualified servicing staff.

Still, I would have said the same about the old Vulcan, so you never know......

air_france_concorde.jpg

Not as a passenger plane but for display. I love the plane, was gutted when it was taken out of service.

BBC News - Work starts in £15m plan to get Concorde flying
red leader to Badgers come in Badgers

My ex-brother -in-law was an engineer on Concorde, he was in charge of rebuilding the one that arrived in bits at Brooklands. But he doesn't have a pot to piss in, so can't see him helping out with the $180million...

It sounds like total bullshit to me. Somebody has to be technical authority on the thing - the Vulcan people managed to rope in Marshalls and BAE Systems, for example - and even back when it was flying, Airbus weren't interested in continuing to support it. Without them, no chance.

Plus Vulcan to the Sky was the one of the biggest follies of all time; I'm kind of vaguely glad it happened, and that I got to see it, but it's only one step down from setting fire to tens of millions of pounds.

Back
Top Bottom