Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Colleague- possible charity scammer

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
My colleague does a lot of charity stuff, shaking tins to full on dressing up for comic relief etc.

I work in a very large office and she collects thousands. Per year.
Thing is, she never brings in any proof of the fact she's given the money to the charity, despite people asking her. Charities ALWAYS give a personalised thank you letter. Especially for large amounts. She just brushes it off when people mention it.

She does try to style it out though, like printing off generic thank you literature from the Children in need website etc.

Now she is mildly light fingered in other ways, for example;

We had some boxed cakes left over from work lunch that were being kept in a cupboard for next work lunch. She took these and admitted when a fuss was made.
We had a dining and cutlery set we bought when we had old people come in for tea. She later took these and when someone raised the alarm she admitted it, said it was for church.
Lady gave her some dresses to put on her charity stall. She came in some time later wearing one.
When people bring in cakes and biscuits for their birthdays she's been spotted sneaking them into her bag on way out. Including from other sections where she doesn't know anyone.

Now I know it's quite a bad accusation, but lots of people think this way.

To start the ball rolling with an accusation to management is something i don't personally want to do.

But seeing her collecting money has made me annoyed today.

How should I play this U75?

Not much you can do unless you're prepared to raise your concerns with management or other colleagues. I wouldn't want to be the one to do that and get it wrong though.

Letters to the charities? That could land her in a lot of trouble as, if they've never heard of her, they'd probably (have to) pass it on to the police.

What do you want to happen?

Or just tell her you are going to write to each charity and ask if they have heard of her and how much she says she's sent them.

Just stop giving her anything for charity if you don't trust her.
I would definitely think that a receipt from each charity would be displayed after a collection.
But if you don't want to make a big fuss then just stop giving her anything.
The cakes etc are small potatoes to be frank. People leave cake....she takes it....anyone could if they wanted. And the dress...you don't know that she might have paid the charity for it because she liked it.

The only thing that people could insist on as a work policy is that any and all charity collections are receipted properly....and that staff get a breakdown of how much they have donated to charity.
I've organised a few charity collections at work and I always put the receipt up on the staff boards.

The only thing that people could insist on as a work policy is that any and all charity collections are receipted properly....and that staff get a breakdown of how much they have donated to charity.
I've organised a few charity collections at work and I always put the receipt up on the staff boards.

This seems like a good idea, especially if others occasionally do collections too. And you wouldn't even have to mention her name, just something you read or something someone else told you about where they work.

I also agree that the other things she's done aren't reliable indicators.

Tricky one. If you have suspicions you should probably take it to the relevant people within the company and let them deal with it.

What % of the office are suspicious do you think?
Most people who would care to think about it.

Tbf people do find her annoying anyway and lots think she should do some actual work rather than fannying about in a pudsey outfit for days on end.

With reference to the theived cakes, they were being specifically saved for a team lunch, and were not there for people to take home

Most people who would care to think about it.

Tbf people do find her annoying anyway and lots think she should do some actual work rather than fannying about in a pudsey outfit for days on end.

With reference to the theived cakes, they were being specifically saved for a team lunch, and were not there for people to take home

Sounds like you just don't like her :hmm:

Sounds like you just don't like her :hmm:
Effect and cause innit.

People don't like her cos they think she steals the charity money.

I think we'll so as someone above said and write to charity asking if they've had any donations from our company in her name

Just raise your concerns with the charity in question if you care that much, there isn't really anything else you can do. She's probably just a bit annoying though.

If she has been scamming surely the best outcome is that she stops, now. You need to decide how you are going to make that happen in a way that doesn't make you look like a complete cunt frankly. Suspecting someone isn't enough and the fact people continue to give to her suggests to me they still trust her regardless of her eating all the pies/cakes.

You all people defending her, please play devils advocate.

Why would you never bring in a thank you letter?

But go to trouble of printing generic thing of internet?

All the charity thank you letters get displayed for a while on our staff notice board. Maybe it could be suggested at your office.

Someone bought in 2 massive pork pies and pickle for their birthday. They left it out on the table and didnt put it back in the fridge and someone had it away.

My colleague does a lot of charity stuff, shaking tins to full on dressing up for comic relief etc.
Sounds very annoying.

I work in a very large office and she collects thousands. Per year.
Thing is, she never brings in any proof of the fact she's given the money to the charity, despite people asking her. Charities ALWAYS give a personalised thank you letter. Especially for large amounts. She just brushes it off when people mention it.
Don't donate to her.

Back
Top Bottom