Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clutch slave cylinder replacement

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
A friend has a Volvo V70 D5 estate that has a failed clutch slave cylinder. The local garage has said that it's too big a job to be worthwhile. However, although I've not done a clutch slave or master cylinder for a very long time, it does seem a bit extreme to say its not a worthwhile repair.

What is your opinion?

how old is it? are they trying to sell him an upgrade or something

and if the garage says no fuck off to another garage

A friend has a Volvo V70 D5 estate that has a failed clutch slave cylinder. The local garage has said that it's too big a job to be worthwhile. However, although I've not done a clutch slave or master cylinder for a very long time, it does seem a bit extreme to say its not a worthwhile repair.

What is your opinion?
Some vehicles, and a quick Google says this is true for the V70, have the clutch slave cylinder located inside the gearbox or clutch housing. That means that replacing it means removing either the gearbox, or the entire engine. Which is going to be labour-intensive, and thus costly. Probably doable for a capable DIY repairer, who isn't on an hourly rate, but...well, it's a big job.

Thanks. That all makes sense.

Last time I did one it was on the bell housing.

Next to my last abode was a guy with a normal garage on the side of his house. It was always busy and I discovered he was a professional mechanic who did cash in hand work in his evenings.

He did a clutch for my Rover for £220 where garages were quoting £450, I went to him for everything, he was great. Someone like that is what your mate needs dessiato

It depends whether it's an external or concentric. If it's concentric then the whole gearbox needs to come out. On a shitty old Volvo that will probably have many rusted bolts that are going to snap then it probably isn't worth it.

One snapped bolt could easily be another two hours of labour...

Stick it on eBay and tell the buyer the clutch just needs bleeding but you haven't had time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom