Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cities Skylines - The Simcity we should've got

Yeah, I tested this by buying land to the left of that image and adding in a cargo train station, problem solved.
But putting a station/tracks into a 2x2km sq takes up valuable space, and industry needs uneducated people which means you need residential areas that won't be maxed out cos there's no schools, so won't house as many people.
I think housing and offices only would be the way to go. Even then I don't think you'd get much over 50k, so I'm not going to try again, back to building a normal(ish) city :)
Industry doesn't require uneducated workers, it's just that the citizens would rather work elsewhere. If they have no other options, highly educated cims will work at factories and won't complain.

I went to bed with my cities humming along nice. Everything well served by fire, police, schools etc. Woke up with half the city burned down and/or abandoned and only half the population left. Spent an hour fixing things to get it back up and running. All good.

Went out and came back to the population back to where it was, but all my money had been pissed away by my bin men and no space left in any of thelandfill.

Is *just about* back on an even keel now.

Had been stuck around 85K and reducing all the time but went a bit nuts on the facilities and got it over 100K now. :D

Traffic is difficult. Although massive one way roads seem to really help if placed well.

My case and PSU arrived today, my components will be here Saturday. Assuming everything works, me and a couple of bottles of Jacobs Creek pink fizz will be enjoying this over the BHOL weekend

Seven hours, a great deal of sweat and one sliced finger later, I'm up and running and downloading CS on Steam.

Photos will follow once I've bought a couple of lighting kits :cool:

One-way streets will only go so far if the peeps in my city are going to insist on doing this:

game.jpg
So that's five lanes which will let them turn left, but they insist on veering into the left-most lane and causing massive tailbacks. the dicks.

Just removed all my crap bus lines and redid them. Seems to be working a lot better. However, whilst amongst the traffic I noticed that garbage trucks are everywhere - like 40% of the traffic or something?!?! WTF

One-way streets will only go so far if the peeps in my city are going to insist on doing this:

View attachment 69731
So that's five lanes which will let them turn left, but they insist on veering into the left-most lane and causing massive tailbacks. the dicks.

Cim lane selection & merging is a continual issue.

Check one of Crispy's posts early on in the thread - it shows a technique to get lanes working better. There are various combinations of pinch points that can work wonders. A key thing is to eliminate traffic lights. I have to experiment a bit to get the desired flow at a given junction. Doesn't cost much but patience to try different options. Very satisfying when you nail it for a given problem. :)

I'm obviously being stupid, cos every junction I build involves them. :D

Some junctions make them, some don't, it depends on the type of roads involved, and the direction of the junction. For example, going from a main road into a 1-way side road you won't have lights (I think), but coming back from a 1-way to a main road you will (but highway ramp into highway won't - there may be other exceptions too).

There is, however, a mod to toggle lights at whichever junction you so choose.

Wahey! Flying tractors! :cool:

umCd173.jpg

It all happened when I relocated the cargo train terminal to ease traffic issues. Trucks and tractors kept being spawned from the old location as well as the new one! The ones spawning from the old location occasionally took to the air.

Removing the road and then creating it again fixed it.

I'd imagine the Cims have cars, and there are trucks and things? Unless Crispy is going for a utopian ideal of no personal motorised vehicles :cool: ?

No cars at all?
Oh plenty of cars and trucks, but none from out of town.

In theory it should be possible to design a city that only uses roads for buses, deliveries and service vehicles, while the Cims walk and take public transport everywhere. They do like to walk, so ped paths are everywhere in my new city.

Oh plenty of cars and trucks, but none from out of town.

In theory it should be possible to design a city that only uses roads for buses, deliveries and service vehicles, while the Cims walk and take public transport everywhere. They do like to walk, so ped paths are everywhere in my new city.

This is my plan next city I build. I also see there's a mod for zoneable pedestrian paths (which let service vehicles along them), so could be residential areas (and maybe office areas?) without any roads at all :)

Will people move in without early outside access? Or did you have road access to begin with, and then take it away once you unlocked rail? Is that how people move in? They bring all their suitcases and sofas and beds on the train? :D

Will people move in without early outside access? Or did you have road access to begin with, and then take it away once you unlocked rail? Is that how people move in? They bring all their suitcases and sofas and beds on the train? :D
Yep exactly that. I also disconnected my remote mountain town from the highway. It just has 1 cargo and 1 passenger station. It's actually much more efficient, because garbage trucks, fire engines, hearses etc. don't drive 8km across the map just because that address was top of the queue.

Is that your Santa Cruz map?

I haven't played for a while, but taking a look at the workshop it seems there is a bunch of really nice stuff that's been released recently. Am subbing to a lot of it.

Thing is I quite like it. SimCity had these disasters that happened occasionally which you had no control over, whereas the inability of pick up dead people is something that is basically your fault and you can do something about. It's quite satisfying to handle the situation, stop the rot and then coax people back into your dead body free city.

I loaded this up briefly before going to bed last night, after not having played for a while. I promptly managed to poison my entire population and lost 10k out of 98k in minutes. It said the water was polluted, but it blates wasn't. Then I realised I placed a water tower (I'd downloaded a new one off the workshop and wanted to see what it looked like) and I think I'd placed it in an industrial area, so the ground would have been polluted. I didn't realise that would affect the water quality.

I didn't save.

Back
Top Bottom