Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cineworld and Picturehouse 'temporarily' close all UK and US cinemas

looks like my local film festival, Leeds International Film Festival, is still going ahead, but reduced by half of its normal programme, and a lot of it online - they will still have screenings in the bigger venues with social distancing possible.
I take it they are not using venues like the Town Hall this year? (Sorry being lazy I know I could look this up)

I take it they are not using venues like the Town Hall this year? (Sorry being lazy I know I could look this up)
I'm not sure - they are going into more detail in the next couple of weeks - I'd imagine the Town Hall would be one of the better venues to use cos it's so big. I do know HPPH are putting on more events at City Varieties but that puzzles me as it's such a small venue.

So staff at The Ritzy and I guess other venues too were told on Thursday that they have until tomorrow Monday to choose between redundancy or staying on the books with no pay till they reopen (target date March)

Might end up being more than temporary.

Shares in Cineworld have fallen more than 60% as concerns mount that the world's second largest cinema chain is about to file for bankruptcy.

The company, which also owns the Picturehouse chain in the UK, is struggling under $5bn worth of debt.
Unsurprisingly, rather ambivalent given their carry-on at the start of the pandemic, but obviously worry about the staff and what it might mean for access to cinemas for a lot of folk.

Imagine the likes of Odeon and Vue might cherry pick the most viable sites.

I visited a Cineworld recently and it was poor value - twice as expensive as a Vue or local independent and in an unattractive and not very accessible place. These multiplexes are often on the edge of town and even miles out if it, which limits their audiences and and then the spread of films on offer. Which is presumably why I was rinsed for twenty quid for two small popcorns and two blue flavour slushies. Mugged with a smile and a promise that the blue sludge wouldn’t render my companions excited and uncontrollable because ‘it dunt have no sugar in it’.
I vowed never to go back without prestashing snacks and beverages.
So no wonder they’ve gone bust.

Picturehouse have an offer on at the moment - I can get a “provincial membership” for £40 which comes with 5 free tickets (5 tickets would cost me £38.50 if I booked) and then discounts on subsequent tickets

Thinking of signing up as there will be at least 5 films I’ll want to see. It is however about a 30 minute drive away, that’s the only downfall, but it is the nearest option for anything independent really.

Picturehouse have an offer on at the moment - I can get a “provincial membership” for £40 which comes with 5 free tickets (5 tickets would cost me £38.50 if I booked) and then discounts on subsequent tickets

Thinking of signing up as there will be at least 5 films I’ll want to see. It is however about a 30 minute drive away, that’s the only downfall, but it is the nearest option for anything independent really.

In our local one, the membership deals are really worth it if you plan on going more than about 6 times a year - I don't as I can't really afford it, but I would if I could, and if that were the case I'd get membership.
I like that they do close captioned/subtitled screenings Monday to Thursday. Our one is a bit scruffy and the bar a bit pricey, but you can take in your own sweets/soft drinks (or booze if it's not obvious!)

In our local one, the membership deals are really worth it if you plan on going more than about 6 times a year - I don't as I can't really afford it, but I would if I could, and if that were the case I'd get membership.
I like that they do close captioned/subtitled screenings Monday to Thursday. Our one is a bit scruffy and the bar a bit pricey, but you can take in your own sweets/soft drinks (or booze if it's not obvious!)
I think I’ll roll the dice on it then :)

I’ve just signed up now and have booked four five films for zero cost so have made the majority all of my money back already. Annoyingly I’m away next month when they’re showing 2 films I’d like to see but a good haul so far

It means driving to Exeter but I can use the gym at work when I go so worth it I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom