Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cineworld and Picturehouse 'temporarily' close all UK and US cinemas

On a personal level this means nothing as I rarely go the cinema anyway. Due to my attention span I get very quickly bored by films and I also find it hard to hear in the cinema. I don't know why but the few times I have been to the cinema in the last few years all the dialogue seems to be mumbled. I also find the crazy expensive drinks and snacks have sucked any enjoyment to be gained straight out of it.

Despite the above I find it a very worrying situation and its just another sign that things are likely to get worse better they get better. I am really beginning to worry about what state the country will be in by next Spring.

Last edited:
So just your "reckon" then.

I get that you like going to the cinema, but as far as I'm concerned, if the film industry (and various other non essential sectors of the economy) have to be scaled back a bit for a few years in order to get us through covid with less infection and fewer fatalities, that's not really a massive sacrifice as things go.

As someone who works with people with mental health issues, I can assure you that for many the loss of much of their cultural and social life, is far from a small sacrifice. Neither is not being able to make a living for those in the industries affected by the crisis. Nothing is just being “scaled back a bit” we are talking about a potential catastrophic loss in many sectors.

As someone who works with people with mental health issues, I can assure you that for many the loss of much of their cultural and social life, is far from a small sacrifice. Neither is not being able to make a living for those in the industries affected by the crisis. Nothing is just being “scaled back a bit” we are talking about a potential catastrophic loss in many sectors.
True. And it’s not as if entertainment and hospitality venues can just be put on ice and revived when Covid’s threat has passed. Developers will be circling to turn them all into ‘luxury’ rabbit hutches

I'm not really sure whether a cinema being safer than x, y or z really applies here. These are commercial decisions based upon footfall and lack of. Also, commercial decisions being made further up the chain by the studios.

Yes these decisions are obviously being heavily influenced by the pandemic but if people don't want to go to the cinema there's not much that can be done. Of course you could suggest an aid package but its not as straight forward as when the gov was making everything shut. It's a fairly tricky thing to justify that the likes of cinemas should be paid for out of the state's money because they are not popular at the moment. Its not like they're public transport or anything.

Of course its a real shit of a situation for those who work in the industry and for those who enjoys going but they do seem to be virtually empty at the moment.

As someone who has actually lived with mental health issues for most of my life, I'm a little suspicious about your apparent attempt to lump us all together as if everyone in that category bases much of their cultural and social life around trips to the cinema and will all be significantly affected by not being able to go to the cinema so frequently.

They have certainly been a lifesaver for my MH issues. It’s not just those cinemas and other entertainment venues but other public spaces such as libraries and community centres, all of which are currently in serious danger of disappearing leading to even more social isolation and disconnectedness. I feel so much pessimism for the collective health of our communities

Btw Reno was not ‘lump[ing] us all together’, he said that ‘for many’ the potential loss of arts and entertainment venues was more than a small sacrifice. Which is true.

As someone who has actually lived with mental health issues for most of my life, I'm a little suspicious about your apparent attempt to lump us all together as if everyone in that category bases much of their cultural and social life around trips to the cinema and will all be significantly affected by not being able to go to the cinema so frequently.
Your suspicions are veering on the paranoid. The loss of cultural venues and spaces will be disastrous for many with MH issues. We’re talking specifically about cinemas here, but no one is arguing they are particularly special in this regard. Shitty Sunak is telling anyone in the arts and culture to basically fuck off and finding a new profession. We can complain about specific things while also keeping view of the bigger picture.

You need to learn the difference between "many" and "all". I too have suffered mental health issues by the way, if we want to go for the victims olympics here.

My local indie cinema seems to still be getting bums on seats, but more in the "studio" rooms than in the main screen. The studio rooms already have social distancing built in, so you won't be getting an alert because you won't have been close enough to someone with covid.

The high ceilings cinemas necessarily have also help with ventilation.

I suspect the indie cinema might be doing well partly because a lot of its customers are young people who don't have a TV, let alone a projector, so just watch on a laptop screen. That's really not as good when there's more than one of you or it's a visually beautiful movie.
Yes our local indie one is doing ok i think (the Castle on chatsworth road, becoming one of my favourite places)... saw the rerelease of La Haine at midday on monday and it was fairly full (the studio room). Hopefully because these places don't rely on new release blockbusters so much they have more of a chance. Everyone will just have to start watching arthouse cinema if they want to go out to the pictures.

Sit closer to the TV :D
I have a decent sound setup, so I don't suffer in that regard, and the only distractions are cats purring. As for watching with an audience... I have no idea why anyone would find that preferable.
a good setup would be thousands of pounds to pay out all in one go; whereas a cinema will be the best setup you coudl possibly get, way louder than you coulld have it at home, and is only a few pounds.

It's the same reason I don't buy a 1000s of pounds espresso machine; for the few times I want coffee I'd rather just go to a proper coffee place and pay them to make me one.

You need to learn the difference between "many" and "all". I too have suffered mental health issues by the way, if we want to go for the victims olympics here.
I'm not going for the victims' olympics, and I apologise if I misinterpreted your post.

I do get a bit over-sensitive at times when people appear to me to be using mental health issues disingenuously, but I accept that it was how it appeared to me and not what you intended.

It seems a bit odd to write off the threat to a whole sector of the service/leisure/entertainment industry because you personally don’t participate. I don’t enjoy sport or going to pubs and I don’t go to church or the WI or Jazzercize classes... but I do understand that they play an essential function for people, families and communities. They spark joy. It’s important.

And while it may not be more important than the current life or death choices we’re having to make, when we do finally come out the other side of this, we will be a poorer society with a tougher route to regaining our emotional buoyancy if the things that spark joy have gone to the wall because they couldn’t turn a profit for a year or two.

The govt has realised this and is going to support lower/non league football, for example. It would be nice to see similar consideration made for the benefit of those who come alive watching stories play out in a darkened room, instead of on a sports pitch.

And yes I know it’s not that simple, and that multinational chains like Cineworld aren’t independent / community ventures... but this does matter. It is a problem.

Yes our local indie one is doing ok i think (the Castle on chatsworth road, becoming one of my favourite places)... saw the rerelease of La Haine at midday on monday and it was fairly full (the studio room). Hopefully because these places don't rely on new release blockbusters so much they have more of a chance. Everyone will just have to start watching arthouse cinema if they want to go out to the pictures.
I’m fine with that tbh

Reactions: Sue
Totally agree. I don't like cinemas personally but if I need to wait a year to go to a gig again I'm going to go insane. Even some shit covers band down the pub would be heaven right now.
You will survive. Try being unable to go to any gig or not having a local pub.

You really are not "going to go insane."

It seems a bit odd to write off the threat to a whole sector of the service/leisure/entertainment industry because you personally don’t participate. I don’t enjoy sport or going to pubs and I don’t go to church or the WI or Jazzercize classes... but I do understand that they play an essential function for people, families and communities. They spark joy. It’s important.

And while it may not be more important than the current life or death choices we’re having to make, when we do finally come out the other side of this, we will be a poorer society with a tougher route to regaining our emotional buoyancy if the things that spark joy have gone to the wall because they couldn’t turn a profit for a year or two.

The govt has realised this and is going to support lower/non league football, for example. It would be nice to see similar consideration made for the benefit of those who come alive watching stories play out in a darkened room, instead of on a sports pitch.

And yes I know it’s not that simple, and that multinational chains like Cineworld aren’t independent / community ventures... but this does matter. It is a problem.

With lower league football their revenue streams have been cut off in that live crowds are banned. This has not been the case with Cinema. With football further up the pyramid the richest elements of the game have been told to look after each other and those around them and will receive no money. There is plenty of money sloshing around in movies and films but the studios have actually made matters worse for the cinemas by holding back their releases.

There are differences. The cinemas were empty because cinema users are not using cinemas and the studios are protecting themselves. There are certainly ways that the government could help out parts of the sector but I think paying multinational companies to keep empty cinemas open would be difficult to justify.

FWIW. I think things like this will bounce back because there will be a market for it. This thread is only about temporary closures. It's going to be a horrible few months for sure and I do feel for those who have lost their jobs and those who were still enjoying a night out at the cinema.

With lower league football their revenue streams have been cut off in that live crowds are banned. This has not been the case with Cinema. With football further up the pyramid the richest elements of the game have been told to look after each other and those around them and will receive no money. There is plenty of money sloshing around in movies and films but the studios have actually made matters worse for the cinemas by holding back their releases.

There are differences. The cinemas were empty because cinema users are not using cinemas and the studios are protecting themselves. There are certainly ways that the government could help out parts of the sector but I think paying multinational companies to keep empty cinemas open would be difficult to justify.

FWIW. I think things like this will bounce back because there will be a market for it. This thread is only about temporary closures. It's going to be a horrible few months for sure and I do feel for those who have lost their jobs and those who were still enjoying a night out at the cinema.

Huh? Cinemas were also banned from opening and even now they have to try to manage on reduced numbers to maintain social distancing.

There’s undeniably a lot of personal and corporate wealth in both football and Hollywood. And you could argue that given that wealth football’s millionaires should have been subsidising non-league. But they won’t, and Spielberg isn’t going to keep the uk church of god or similar from taking over the lease of your local cinema (which is what happened the last time there were widespread cinema closures in the uk: a trend that took best part of thirty years to reverse).

But I did say that cinema chains aren’t charities (though the margins are precarious and many cinemas lose money many weeks of the year, propped up by profitable blockbuster weeks, school holidays and Oscar season - nevertheless, it’s a tricky game - ask Virgin, UGC and showcase cinemas: all failed /sold up as uk chains since 1999/2000 ish ). My point is that some private businesses may need a bit of intervention. Interest free govt loans to cover rent for eg. Tax breaks to stay open... And then there’s all the jobs and livelihoods at risk. If we incentivised the pub and restaurant trade, is cinema so different, just because it’s having supply chain issues?.

Reactions: Sue
My local indie cinema did get some money from Culture Recovery Fund for Independent Cinemas.

I guess/hope people feel more loyal to their local indie cinema than they do to multiplexes/chain cinemas. And while mine does make lots of money on the odd big film (Parasite was an absolute winner for them), most of their programme is arthouse. I really, really hope they survive this.

Is this simply your opinion, or do you have some proper research study to point to to back this assertion up?

One of the things which has most annoyed me about this whole covid thing* is the number of people who have engaged in special pleading for their special interest, whether it's something their livelihood depends on or just something they enjoy.

There are lots of sacrifices we all have to make in order to get infection levels down, but saying the risk is less in a cinema than elsewhere just because you like going to the cinema really isn't a great look.

*apart from the shit but utterly predictable response of the government, obviously.

Do you need proper research to tell you that rooms with enormously high ceilings and people sitting well away from each other, many wearing masks, and not talking (much), is less dangerous than a pub??

Huh? Cinemas were also banned from opening and even now they have to try to manage on reduced numbers to maintain social distancing.

Um. Yes. Everything had to close. As I recall Cinemas were one of the first indoor things to reopen. I was speaking with a friend about this other day and he's a regular Cinema goer and he said the last few times he's been you could count the people there on one hand. If the studios don't want to release their latest big movies than I don't know what can be done?

But I did say that cinema chains aren’t charities (though the margins are precarious and many cinemas lose money many weeks of the year, propped up by profitable blockbuster weeks, school holidays and Oscar season - nevertheless, it’s a tricky game - ask Virgin, UGC and showcase cinemas: all failed /sold up as uk chains since 1999/2000 ish ). My point is that some private businesses may need a bit of intervention. Interest free govt loans to cover rent for eg. Tax breaks to stay open... And then there’s all the jobs and livelihoods at risk. If we incentivised the pub and restaurant trade, is cinema so different, just because it’s having supply chain issues?.

I wasn't keen on the eat out to help out scheme for a number of reasons. The prioritization of certain sectors is crap but its clearly about the size of the sector. As it stands though the likes of pubs and restaurants are getting nothing that isn't available to Cinemas. The VAT rate reduction down to 5% is applicable to Cinemas as well. There's loads of industries out there that would love a VAT rate of 5%.

Its a really grim situation for a lot of business out there but large sectors of business are being largely left to fend for themselves now. The way that certain parts of the arts particularly performing arts have been completely abandoned has been disgusting. I just don't think this applies to as much to Cinema because they had furlough and they have the 5% VAT rate but just like any empty cafe, bookshop or shoe shop there is only so long you can operate when no one is buying. The advantage Cinema has over all those businesses is though it can seemingly go into hibernation instead of just dying.

Last edited:
Its a really grim situation for a lot of business out there but large sectors of business are being largely left to fend for themselves now. The way that certain parts of the arts particularly performing arts have been completely abandoned has been disgusting. I just don't think this applies to as much to Cinema because they had furlough and they have the 5% VAT rate but just like any empty cafe, bookshop or shoe shop there is only so long you can operate when no one is buying. The advantage Cinema has over all those businesses is though it can seemingly go into hibernation instead of just dying.

Can they go in to hibernation though? Aren't they still going to be paying the same rents as the rest of the arts facilities?

Personally, coming from a family with a strong movie watching ethos and having had a DIY "home theatre" since I was 20, I still loved going to the cinema regularly - assuming you could find one where the clientèle weren't forever fiddling on their mobiles or generally being obnoxious arseholes. I've had membership at the Prince Charles since forever because their ouvre is basically "classic movies that you've seen at home already but look awesome on a cinema screen", "foreign films hardly anyone-else shows" and "films/events where a massive audience is key to the experience" - and me and my friends are massive fans of the first of those two anyway, and so the PCC might be better insulated than most. But I've not been since the start of lockdown because, frankly, it feels bonkers to do so. What might have been a 20min walk from my office and a meetup with some mates for a pint would now be an hour-long slog through commuters all trying to not worry if the person standing next to them is another Typhoid Mary, and then sitting in a darkened room with who knows how many others.

I don't see cinema being in any better a situation than any other arts venue myself, and completely share your disgust in the way the performing arts have been effectively abandoned. I hope the government's refusal to even countenance extending a furlough scheme to would-still-be-viable-if-there-wasn't-a-pandemic-going-on sectors will be long remembered by the electorate as an act of sociopathically short-sighted ideological effluent.

looks like my local film festival, Leeds International Film Festival, is still going ahead, but reduced by half of its normal programme, and a lot of it online - they will still have screenings in the bigger venues with social distancing possible.

A coupla of good friends of mine are in the film industry- he in explosions/practical special effects, she in the costume department.
They have been in denial for a bit, but although he is working at the moment on the next jurassic park film (I believe the dinosaurs get loose again would you believe) things are looking grim for the big budget films they work on.
They need to pack out cinemas all over the world to justify the huge budgets and publicity money spent.
Even though they have fun well paid jobs they are now in schtuck- took a big mortgage in nice area based on current earnings.

I see 'Jurassic World: Dominion' has had its release date delayed by a year.

Universal and Amblin Entertainment have announced that, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the release of the highly anticipated Jurassic World: Dominion film has been delayed by a year.

The blockbuster movie (the third and final instalment in the lucrative Jurassic World franchise) was initially scheduled to be released on 11 June 2021, but will instead come to cinemas in 2022.

And, not just because of low box office takings...

According to the Hollywood Reporter, studio insiders say Dominion is a huge priority for the studio, with theme park tie-ins, merchandising partnerships, live events and more.
All of those have been hit hard by coronavirus, and Universal and Amblin want to ensure that deadlines for their retail partners can be met.

I see 'Jurassic World: Dominion' has had its release date delayed by a year.

And, not just because of low box office takings...

And they've all been sent home for two weeks cos some people in the swanky hotel where the big nobs and cast are staying have tested positive

I've been to Home once since it re-opened and I'll continue to do that. There were only 3 of us in the screen that usually has 40/50. Current capacity is 8. Not been to a multiplex although I rarely do tbh.

One of the highlights of lockdown for me has been our Clandestine pop up open air cinema. Met some great people, just need to look for somewhere more sheltered for Winter. Here's Run Lola Run from last weekend and Happy Go Lucky from weekend before.
PXL_20200927_185454246.MP.jpgPXL_20201004_190845785.MP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom