Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cineworld and Picturehouse 'temporarily' close all UK and US cinemas

cybershot

Blaming the 2nd delay of the James Bond film as studios keep delaying their releases hoping this will just blow over.

it’s ridiculous. Release your films. Do one film every few weeks (or less depending on demand) Dedicate every screen to it and show it staggered enough so people can social distance arriving/leaving and in the screen.

At this rate their won’t be any cinemas to show the big blockbusters and then the studios will be hit even harder in the pocket. Why do they seem blind to the fact that this pandemic is not going to be over anytime soon and cinemas need their films. Now.

Just being a bit pedantic here, “may shut” not “are going to shut.” I hope that they don’t. I’m not a great cinema goer, but I’d hate not being able go to one. There’s nothing like watching a big film in the full on cinema experience.

Blaming the 2nd delay of the James Bond film as studios keep delaying their releases hoping this will just blow over.

it’s ridiculous. Release your films. Do one film every few weeks (or less depending on demand) Dedicate every screen to it and show it staggered enough so people can social distance arriving/leaving and in the screen.

At this rate their won’t be any cinemas to show the big blockbusters and then the studios will be hit even harder in the pocket. Why do they seem blind to the fact that this pandemic is not going to be over anytime soon and cinemas need their films. Now.

Many people just won't go to cinemas no matter how much social distancing is promised. I know of people who have barely have left their home since March and who won't go out for anything that isn't strictly necessary. Tenet was the canary in the coalmine and it didn't make it. You have these studios release their blockbusters now and then they will go under.

I'm still trying to make my peace with that so much which makes living in a big city worth it for me, will be gone when all of this is over. I can't see how many bars, clubs, restaurants, music venues, theatres and cinemas can survive this winter during the crisis.

They will go under if there’s no cinemas to show their films too. Surely it’s damage limitation for the stuff that’s already been filmed and post produced. Much like it is for everyone else.

They will go under if there’s no cinemas to show their films too. Surely it’s damage limitation for the stuff that’s already been filmed and post produced. Much like it is for everyone else.

The studios can release their films on netflix, amazon prime, sky, blue ray, etc.

I like movies on the big screen but i wouldn't risk going to the cinema at the moment. I will wait for the small screen release of Bond. Got a feeling it'll be bad anyway with all the directors quiting, script rewrites etc.

Last edited:
The studios can release their films on netflix, amazon prime, sky, blue ray, etc.

I like movies on the big screen but i wouldn't risk going to the cinema at the moment. I will wait for the small screen release of Bond. Got a feeling it'll be bad anyway with all the directors quiting, script rewrites etc.
They can release lower budgeted films to streaming services, but they can't do this with the major blockbusters. Disney tried that with Mulan and it lost them a lot of money.

As to the Bond film, Danny Boyle considered doing it but I don't think he would have been great choice for a Bond film. I was glad he dropped out before this went into production, anytime he goes near an action scene he fudges it. Cary Fukunada looks like a better fit and has been on board from the day this went into production, so no director got replaced once this got going. Most blockbusters, especially the Bond films, get written by several writers. Getting Phoebe Waller-Bridge on board for a final rewrite is excellent news. She'll make sure the film won't take itself too seriously and that the female characters will be more than eye candy.

Last edited:
It's been confirmed. :(

The boss of Cineworld has said its plan to close its cinemas in the UK and the US "is not a decision we made lightly". The cinema chain confirmed it would suspend its operations from Thursday, which will put 45,000 jobs at risk.

"We did everything in our power to support safe and sustainable reopenings in all of our markets," said chief executive Mooky Greidinger.

It will affect around 5,500 UK jobs and comes after the release of the latest James Bond film was delayed again.

The company did not give a date for reopening its 663 cinemas, which include 127 Cineworld and Picturehouse theatres in the UK.

It is, of course, horrific for the staff, and potentially the industry.

Was some suggestion that independent cinemas might actually fare a bit better, as they potentially have a more hardcore dedicated fanbase who would be willing to fundraise and support to keep them in business. Might be wishful thinking, though :(

I had been hoping to get to a couple now they've started reopening with fairly comprehensive social distancing in most of them, but honestly not sure given you're still sitting in a room with other people for 2+ hours.

Our local indy, a Reel, has already closed for good...

I'm not remotely surprised that this has happened - it's not, for me or the kids, fear of catching CV, it's the almost certain knowledge that one of the people who will be in the screening will test positive for CV at some later stage, and that we'll all have to stop work, stop school, and sit at home for however long it takes to either get tested, or for the all clear to be given.

That, to me, is an unacceptably high price for two hours of cinema pleasure.

I do also wonder if we, as a society, have decided that sitting in a room with 200 complete strangers for a few hours isn't something we want to do any more, and that we simply won't go back to that on anything like the level we once did, regardless of what the situation with the virus is....

I go to the cinema a lot. The last few months there has rarely been more than five people in a screening at one time. Sadly, I saw this coming.

There's nothing quite like escaping to a big screen after a day spent in front of a small one. With winter coming, and currently living in a small Tory town in the south of England, it's one less thing to get me out of the house in the evenings.

As others have mentioned, there will be a Knock on effect and most other cinemas will end up closing soon too. My nephew is starting at film school this year. A notoriously hard industry at the best of times, but now?

Shit.... I got the Monday blues!

I do also wonder if we, as a society, have decided that sitting in a room with 200 complete strangers for a few hours isn't something we want to do any more, and that we simply won't go back to that on anything like the level we once did, regardless of what the situation with the virus is....

I sort of doubt that somehow. I think the human impulse to socialize is still incredibly strong, though admittedly a little weakened by the advent of the internet.

I've been a couple of times to my local indy cinema in the afternoon when it's been quiet. This is a lot less often than usual. I'm worried that it won't survive this tbh.

Even before Covid, I'd rarely go to multiplexes (unless that's what we're classing the BFI as...) and haven't been to a PH cinema in years.

I sort of doubt that somehow. I think the human impulse to socialize is still incredibly strong, though admittedly a little weakened by the advent of the internet.
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either.

A lot of people are aching to go sit in a room with strangers, whether that's cinema, theatre, music or something else. And there is something different about seeing a film at the cinema, even if you've got a decent home setup (which many don't).

And I say that as someone who is far less inclined to go out than most, I feel, but cinema is one of the things I've really missed since February.

I've been a couple of times to my local indy cinema in the afternoon when it's been quiet. This is a lot less often than usual. I'm worried that it won't survive this tbh.

Even before Covid, I'd rarely go to multiplexes (unless that's what we're classing the BFI as...) and haven't been to a PH cinema in years.
What is a PH cinema?

A coupla of good friends of mine are in the film industry- he in explosions/practical special effects, she in the costume department.
They have been in denial for a bit, but although he is working at the moment on the next jurassic park film (I believe the dinosaurs get loose again would you believe) things are looking grim for the big budget films they work on.
They need to pack out cinemas all over the world to justify the huge budgets and publicity money spent.
Even though they have fun well paid jobs they are now in schtuck- took a big mortgage in nice area based on current earnings.

Looks like Vue, who I think are an even bigger chain, are also struggling. They’re my go-to multiplex and it would be a tragedy if they shut down. I’m still buying tickets but am not always well enough to go. Cinemas are safer than pubs imo, but it’s a shame that the public don’t seem to agree

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either.

A lot of people are aching to go sit in a room with strangers, whether that's cinema, theatre, music or something else. And there is something different about seeing a film at the cinema, even if you've got a decent home setup (which many don't).

And I say that as someone who is far less inclined to go out than most, I feel, but cinema is one of the things I've really missed since February.

Totally agree. I don't like cinemas personally but if I need to wait a year to go to a gig again I'm going to go insane. Even some shit covers band down the pub would be heaven right now.

Back
Top Bottom