Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

I'll probably sell my Thinkpad Windows machine which has been untouched for years and my other Chromebook. It's the lack of faff and battery life that appeals most - that lets me get on with my writing work.
If you're selling your Flip I'd be interested! I managed to break mine and I can't afford a new one. :(

I've actually got an original Flip C101, boxed and hardly used. How does £120 sound?
That's a great price! Will get back to you on this as soon as possible but my situation is wildly shit at the moment so will see if I can do that. :oldthumbsup:
Many thanks!

£170!

Get this Lenovo Chromebook for only £169 on Amazon

For the money, the Lenovo Chromebook S330 is simply one of the best budget laptops you can buy (and arguably the absolute best cheap Chromebook you can lay your hands on right now). It’s light, reasonably well-built, and delivers a capable performance for the budget. Given some extra Black Friday price-cutting, this could be an amazing machine for those who don’t have much money to spend on a portable.
Lenovo Chromebook S330 – should I buy one? | TechRadar

lenovo-laptop-lenovo-chromebook-s330-hero.png

Wait! £160!

lenovo-laptop-lenovo-chromebook-s330-feature-1.jpg

Lenovo Chromebook S330 | 14" Student Laptop with IPS Display | Lenovo UK

Has anyone given Crossover a go? If I can an old version of Photoshop and one or two other programs on my Asus C302 I'll be well stoked!

CrossOver Chrome OS | Run Windows programs and games on Google Chromebook.

I've just installed the Windows .NET framework and got yWriter7 up and running in my Chromebook.

This was an exercise to see if it worked more than anything as Scrivener requires .NET 4.6.2 too. So the next experiment will be installing the 30 day free trial of Scrivener.

Bollocks - I had to return my Chromebook [ASUS C302ca, Intel Core M3, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, 12.5"] same as
editor ‘s due to a few dead pixles and the right hand side of the space bar collapsing a bit and making typing (my main use) a right pain in the arse.

John Lewis have just called me saying that they can’t repair it and ‘Do I want a refund or what?’
I paid 399.99 when it was in the sale - a ton off the usual price - about 15 months ago [2 year warranties FTW]

So - what’s the good stuff atm Chromebook-wise?? Haven’t been looking of late as I was expecting to get this one back - instead I have 400 to put towards a new machine.

Suggestatron is go!

Bollocks - I had to return my Chromebook [ASUS C302ca, Intel Core M3, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, 12.5"] same as
editor ‘s due to a few dead pixles and the right hand side of the space bar collapsing a bit and making typing (my main use) a right pain in the arse.

John Lewis have just called me saying that they can’t repair it and ‘Do I want a refund or what?’
I paid 399.99 when it was in the sale - a ton off the usual price - about 15 months ago [2 year warranties FTW]

So - what’s the good stuff atm Chromebook-wise?? Haven’t been looking of late as I was expecting to get this one back - instead I have 400 to put towards a new machine.

Suggestatron is go!
The Pixelbook Go is great but pricey, and the Asus 434/433 are good too. If you're after a larger screen, the Lenovos look good too. If I had the cash I'd get the Pixelbook and then the 434.

The Pixelbook Go is great but pricey, and the Asus 434/433 are good too. If you're after a larger screen, the Lenovos look good too. If I had the cash I'd get the Pixelbook and then the 434.
Hmmm, the entry level Pixelbook Go is 629 - the only real improvement to the spcs over the Asus is another 4gb or RAM, hopefully better speakers and maybe a slightly better m3 processor. Doesn’t tent or convert to a tablet either. Am I missing anything?? Is the processor that much improved?

I’ve said in the past that payong over 500 for a chromebook seems daft but it seems to be becoming the norm unless you want the less able end of the range(s).

I was thinking of getting a refurbed Thinkpad recently before the Asus crapped out - summat like an X1 Carbon, 250quid ish with a 1yr warranty. Main attraction being a better keyboard and being able to run Word, Scrivener and summat else I can’t install on a chromebook. So if I channeled that cash into a chromebook I suppose I have 600-ish to play with - but I want a great keyboard.

Any ideas?

Hmmm, the entry level Pixelbook Go is 629 - the only real improvement to the spcs over the Asus is another 4gb or RAM, hopefully better speakers and maybe a slightly better m3 processor. Doesn’t tent or convert to a tablet either. Am I missing anything?? Is the processor that much improved?

I’ve said in the past that payong over 500 for a chromebook seems daft but it seems to be becoming the norm unless you want the less able end of the range(s).

I was thinking of getting a refurbed Thinkpad recently before the Asus crapped out - summat like an X1 Carbon, 250quid ish with a 1yr warranty. Main attraction being a better keyboard and being able to run Word, Scrivener and summat else I can’t install on a chromebook. So if I channeled that cash into a chromebook I suppose I have 600-ish to play with - but I want a great keyboard.

Any ideas?
You can run Word on a Chromebook and there's that app that lets you install Windows programs that I posted about before - it seems to work for some people. To be honest, the Chromebook I use every single day is the £200 Asus Flip which I bloody love (I even DJ off it!).

I've got a snazzy touchscreen Windows Thinkpad that flips over like my Chromebook but I haven't used it in months. You might be in for a shock when you realise how fucking clunky and slow a Windows machine is compared to a CBook!

Oh and the Pixelbook is supposed to have one of the best keyboards on any machine!

You can run Word on a Chromebook and there's that app that lets you install Windows programs that I posted about before - it seems to work for some people. To be honest, the Chromebook I use every single day is the £200 Asus Flip which I bloody love (I even DJ off it!).

I've got a snazzy touchscreen Windows Thinkpad that flips over like my Chromebook but I haven't used it in months. You might be in for a shock when you realise how fucking clunky and slow a Windows machine is compared to a CBook!

Oh and the Pixelbook is supposed to have one of the best keyboards on any machine!

Aye, I’ve used CrossOver to get Windows stuff working on my Asus just before I returned it. It works OK. I do worry about buying Windows software to use on a Chrome device and lack of support if I can’t do summat I should be able to do.

What appeals to me is a good keyboard and being able to just get on with what I need to do. I think I’ve moaned on this thread before about that ast 5% of stuff that I was unable to get done on a Chromebook in Docs or Sheets which meant having to send it over to a Eindows machine to fionish it off.

Chromebooks are ace - I recommend them all the time. But the are a cut down experience in my view, not much, but cut down nevertheless. Depends what you need though I suppose.

So how come you use your Flip over your newer Chromebook?

And - I’m off to look for reviews about the Pixelbook Go’s keyboard - feel free to link me up - anything on Wirefresh on that?

So how come you use your Flip over your newer Chromebook?
I just like it - it's small enough to sling in any bag and I like the fact it doesn;t hog half the table if I'm in a cafe!

And - I’m off to look for reviews about the Pixelbook Go’s keyboard - feel free to link me up - anything on Wirefresh on that?
Wirefresh is on an extended snooze at the mo, but:
Regardless, when it comes to premium Chromebooks, the Pixelbook Go is mostly unmatched in its particular benefits and features it offers, such as super long battery life, a 1080p webcam and one of the best keyboards we’ve ever had the pleasure of using on a laptop.

Anyone using Office 365 on their chromeboook? Downloaded apps rather than the web clients.
Just wondering what the experience is like if you're happy to comment...

Anyone using Office 365 on their chromeboook? Downloaded apps rather than the web clients.
Just wondering what the experience is like if you're happy to comment...
Sorry I can't help - I switched to Google Docs and never looked back (I just export/import .doc files with no problem).

So looks like Amazon are still doing the S330 for £170 but quite a few comments about it being the 64 bit processor with 32 bit OS, but all from the last quarter of 2019 ... I primarily want this as something nice and lightweight for travel, that I can stick on my lap to write on (i.e. use Docs), maybe stream the odd film, surf the web.

Opinions?

So looks like Amazon are still doing the S330 for £170 but quite a few comments about it being the 64 bit processor with 32 bit OS, but all from the last quarter of 2019 ... I primarily want this as something nice and lightweight for travel, that I can stick on my lap to write on (i.e. use Docs), maybe stream the odd film, surf the web.

Opinions?
It's ridiculously cheap and this site seemed to rate them very highly indeed Lenovo Chromebook S330 – should I buy one?

I am really liking the keyboard on this S330. Unboxing to posting? About 6 minutes.
Everything's synced - everything's there.
Gotta love them Chromebooks.
Bargain too.

Being the fussy fucker that I am I ordered another Chromebook that got reduced after I'd ordered the S330. [also from John Lewis]

S345 for only another thirty notes - same (I think) keyboard - which I like.
Better screen & Better processor and Better speakers - more ports - Micro sd slot instead of SD, ummmm - looks a little less utilitarian - same thin bezels - loving it
Both screens are matte and I have been used to gloss so that's a little odd - last 2 Chromebooks were shiny screened
Gone from having a touch screen I didn't think I used to not having a touch screen - seems I did use it a little - but hardly at all really
Lenovo Chromebook S345-14AST AMD A4 Processor, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 14” Full HD, Mineral Grey £199.99 [that's £50 off]

1580235307388.png

Back
Top Bottom