Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chris Kaba, 24, shot dead by police in Streatham, Mon 5th Sept 2022

I read it as being a witness on the street cos yeah, if I’d just woken up I’d be useless at saying what happened.

You’re right that the statement contains some pre-baked court-friendly details, though.
Every time incidents like this happen police friendly accounts come out - he jumped the barrier, he had wires coming out of his coat, he was changing buses to avoid being followed, police shouted armed police - and that’s just Jean Charles de Menezes.

Disgusting that the police immediately try and protect their own rather than actually try and find out what happened so they don’t fuck up again.

According to this article in The Telegraph yesterday, he was handed a four-year sentence for that firearms offence.
https://webcache.googleusercontent..../&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b-d
The article says he was sentenced for possession of an IMITATION firearm.
What does that mean?
This happened on the Angell Town Estate in 2001.,

One is fed up with macho mistakes. Might as well live in the Philippines or Brazil if its OK to gun down people because they have a cigarette lighter in the shape of a gun - or because they were sentenced in 2018 for possessing an imitation firearm.

One could imply this was "taking back control" - except they've been doing it this way for years.

The article says he was sentenced for possession of an IMITATION firearm.
What does that mean?

Typically a replica.
Something convincing to either wave at someone to scare them, or use on a movie set.

Reactions: CH1
It appears that not all the alleged witnesses to the shooting of the Late Chris Kaba are prepared to follow the script circulated by the Metropolitan Police:

"A 39-year-old man, who lives on nearby New Park Road and asked not to be named, told the PA news agency: “The (driver) drove up New Park Road and turned up Kirkstall Gardens.

“A police car came down Kirkstall Gardens and crashed into him.

Another police car came in behind him and they had him locked in at the bottom of Kirkstall Gardens.

The car was immobile when he was shot.”

(Source: Man shot dead by police ‘was due to become a father’, Evening Standard, 7 September 2022)

In other developments:

“The family of Chris Kaba seek a homicide investigation into his death from the outset. We have today told the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) of that demand and that we do not want any delay as has happened in other fatal shootings – otherwise we and the wider public can have no confidence that the police will be held to account.

We also want the IOPC to tell us whether or not a weapon was found in any search of the vehicle that Chris was driving. We have not received this information even though the shooting happened almost two days’ ago.

Finally, we are desperately appealing for any witnesses, whether before, during or after the pursuit and the shooting, to come forward to the IOPC and / or to our solicitors at Hickman and Rose.

We are devastated; we need answers and we need accountability. We are worried that if Chris had not been Black, he would have been arrested on Monday evening and not had his life cut short.”

62190761-11192287-image-a-9_1662618793291.jpg

(Source: Statement issued by the family of the Late Chris Kaba, 7 September 2022)

Like me, Chris grew up in this area. His family have since moved from the area but he has a lot of friends here and with the level of mistrust in particular, communities - black, African and Caribbean communities - you can see what people are thinking.

'Especially what they were thinking when they heard this had happened and they didn't have any of the initial details.

'As far as they were concerned, in that particular situation, there could have been a different outcome.

'Now it's right that there is an IOPC investigation and with that we hope to get the information on what has happened but it's no surprise that Chris's family are now calling for a murder investigation.

'And no surprise that because of what has happened and because of all of the incidents we've seen in the past that they believe this is a racist incident.'

'The major issue is that they didn't give key information right at the beginning,'

'Key information which as far as we're concerned wouldn't have prejudiced the investigation.'

(Source: Bell Ribeiro-Addy, Member of Parliament for Streatham, Good Morning Britain, 7 September 2022)

"... We understand at this stage that police officers in an armed response vehicle attempted to stop the vehicle Mr Kaba was in, following the activation of an automatic number plate recognition camera which indicated the vehicle was linked to a firearms incident in the previous days ...

A detailed search of the scene and surrounding area was completed last night. No non-police issue firearm has been recovered from the vehicle or the scene ..."

(Source: Update #2: Investigation into fatal Met police shooting in Lambeth, Independent Office for Police Conduct, 7 September 2022)

_126630743_chriskaba2.jpg

(Source: The family of the Late Chris Kaba)

Anyone with information that may be useful in helping the Independent Office for Police Conduct determine precisely what took place on the evening of Monday 5 September 2022 is asked to contact the Independent Office for Police Conduct by phoning 0300 303 0779 or by emailing witness@policeconduct.gov.uk - referencing “Streatham Hill”.

Following their review of the evidence (as opposed to stories circulated by the Metropolitan Police and its agents) gathered so far, the Independent Office for Police Conduct has now launched a homicide investigation into the killing of the Late Chris Kaba:.

Chris Kaba: Murder investigation launched into death of black rapper shot by police

True - one can get overturned the other can’t.

Good example of why to be very wary of police accounts though.

Yeah, not verified as a police account but is filled with convenient details.

It might, just might give you another perspective on policing in London, that’s all I’m saying
I have had lived experience of policing - and reasons to be critical.
Could go on at length, but that is me - this is a particular current event.
To me it's a moral issue. And it starts with finding a better way to deal with drug gangsterism that shoot outs.

And - most important this reflex reaction of "Black male = taser or police marksman"

Look at the poor guy with learning difficulties murdered on Chelsea Bridge by applying a taser like a terror weapon.

It's got to stop and I have no confidence in Suella Braverman stopping it.

I have had lived experience of policing - and reasons to be critical.
Could go on at length, but that is me - this is a particular current event.
To me it's a moral issue. And it starts with finding a better way to deal with drug gangsterism that shoot outs.

And - most important this reflex reaction of "Black male = taser or police marksman"

Look at the poor guy with learning difficulties murdered on Chelsea Bridge by applying a taser like a terror weapon.

It's got to stop and I have no confidence in Suella Braverman stopping it.
Fair enough

That guy on the bridge. :(

I think it’s relevant though that with this shooting, if the police are telling the truth about his behaviour, then he had declined several off-ramps.

I think from what we know at this point, then if being as charitable as possible to the police, we could imagine seeing some video that looks outrageous, or that looks fairly justified.

But no clear video released as far as I know, so…

Yeah and I've got lived experience of fucking murderous drug gangs.
The police have killed an unarmed man. They seem to have admitted they didn’t know who he was as it wasn’t his car. Even if he was involved in gangs that’s no justification. Why are you so quick to defend?

We’ve had so many incidences of dodgy police killings with coverups that we all should question heavily any accounts and the police can’t get any benefit of the doubt.

We need some official guidance on when a car is a deadly weapon and when it isn’t. :confused:
You’re making quite an assumption that he was using the car as a weapon - even if he was, was deadly force necessary.

You’re talking about his gang affiliations when it seems the police have said they didn’t know who he was or were pursuing him personally.

Fair enough asking questions but you seem to be doing the opposite and being unquestioning of the police.

Experience says we should question everything the police say in situations like this.

Elucidate? If you are a member of the public that is. My particular problem in this discussion is that I am 68 and haven't been mugged, or threatened with it since at least 2000. On the other hand I have lived in central Brixton since 1978. But there again central Brixton isn't where the action is - any more.

I imagine problems with drug suppliers might occur - if one were a user - at the interface. Again I have a problem because I only ever smoked other peoples cannabis, and then only about 7 times 1994 and earlier. So pbsmooth are you a user? Or a young person of colour being intimidated for not joining a gang?

Or a policeman perhaps? There is a precedent."The Commander" wrecked his career by posting on here - but he was in favour of liberalisation and the Daily Mail soon found his weak spot.

You’re making quite an assumption that he was using the car as a weapon - even if he was, was deadly force necessary.

You’re talking about his gang affiliations when it seems the police have said they didn’t know who he was or were pursuing him personally.

Fair enough asking questions but you seem to be doing the opposite and being unquestioning of the police.

Experience says we should question everything the police say in situations like this.

I made no assumptions.
I was just quibbling with the term “unarmed”.

Also, I didn’t say anything about gang affiliations, so not sure if you’ve mixed up some posts/posters.

Edit: Similar with being unquestioning of the police. See prior posts.

But maybe he panicked. Maybe he was involved with firearms and threw his gun out of the window during the chase. Maybe the officer panicked. Maybe the ANPR hit was a typo or a glitch. Maybe the car just happened to be seen on video near somebody else's gun crime.

if only they could find the gun wrapped in a sock hunderds of yards away from the car

:hmm:

tbf we are not America but that based on people not fearing for their lives from being murdered by police

I made no assumptions.
I was just quibbling with the term “unarmed”.

Also, I didn’t say anything about gang affiliations, so not sure if you’ve mixed up some posts/posters.
Sorry - yes, must have mixed you up. But driving a vehicle can’t really be described as armed can it?

And this speculation that he was killed for trying to drive at the police seems to be from one unnamed verbose witness.

Sorry - yes, must have mixed you up. But driving a vehicle can’t really be described as armed can it?

It often is on this site.
I think it’s an “it depends”. Using the term “armed” is confusing, but without some detail, “unarmed” isn’t really giving the right impression either (eg. see Waukesha massacre).

It often is on this site.
I think it’s an “it depends”. Using the term “armed” is confusing, but without some detail, “unarmed” isn’t really giving the right impression either (eg. see Waukesha massacre).
It’s pure speculation he was killed for driving at the police based on that one dodgy witness account. To call him armed for driving a car is obviously ridiculous.

aye but did the murderous drug gang give you a badge and back you thru court and public opinion regardless

the police are not a gang and should never be allowed to become one

look at america for how this plays out

It’s pure speculation he was killed for driving at the police based on that one dodgy witness account. To call him armed for driving a car is obviously ridiculous.

Yes, depends whether that account turns out to be true.

I agree there are reasons to treat it with caution.

And this speculation that he was killed for trying to drive at the police seems to be from one unnamed verbose witness.
You don't always post with concision. Do you think that verbosity undermines evidence? I look forward to seeing this convenient witness's evidence tested in court

You don't always post with concision. Do you think that verbosity undermines evidence? I look forward to seeing this convenient witness's evidence tested in court

To me, it’s not the verbosity so much as the fact that it so neatly contains every detail required to exonerate the officers.

When you take that into account it’s actually quite concise. But there’s no irrelevant filler, just what is needed to make the cops look good.

Not to say there’s anything iffy about it, but it’s very convenient.

Back
Top Bottom