Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheshunt v Dulwich - Isthmian Prem 30 Sep 2023

Bugpowder Dust

Doesn't look like a traditional six pointer as both teams locked on 7 points, but both teams will be looking for a much needed win, and a draw will be not much use to either.

The Hamlet women had a happy trip to Theobalds Lane on Wednesday, so let's hope we can emulate.

I went on a Tuesday last season, from memory was a fairly easy overground.

I think I did that thing where you get off at Whitechapel and walk/lime up to Bethnal Green.

I assume rail strikes won't interfere, does anyone know otherwise?

I don't think it will be affected by the strikes but I'd check on the day. I might well come to this seeing as the strikes have taken out what would have been a splendid Peckham away day.

I assume rail strikes won't interfere, does anyone know otherwise?
Theobalds Grove is the nearest station to the ground, only a few hundred yards away. It's on the Overground line from Liverpool Street to Cheshunt, connecting with the Victoria Line at Seven Sisters, and it's scheduled to run a half hourly service (departing Liverpool Street at 15 and 45 past the hour) regardless of industrial action. I think there's one pub near the station (which I've never visited) in what is a fairly bland residential suburban area.

I forgot to mention earlier, they charge £2 extra to pay on the gate, so if you're going make sure you pay online.

This really winds me up. The ground will be 80% empty, I don't need to pay in advance, it's more convenient for me to just turn up and pay on the gate. If there's a signal failure on the trains, or a motorway pile up and you can't get there in time, you've wasted your money.

I forgot to mention earlier, they charge £2 extra to pay on the gate, so if you're going make sure you pay online.

This really winds me up. The ground will be 80% empty, I don't need to pay in advance, it's more convenient for me to just turn up and pay on the gate. If there's a signal failure on the trains, or a motorway pile up and you can't get there in time, you've wasted your money.
That is fucking shit and totally unjustifiable. And I can't even buy tickets on their shitty website. What a shit, moneygrubbing outfit. I hope we stuff them.

Purchase your ticket online for a reduced rate.
Tickets purchased on the turnstile will be £14 adults, £10 concessions, £6 for 13-17s and U12s £2.

You are seeing this message as this product is unavailable.

That is fucking shit and totally unjustifiable. And I can't even buy tickets on their shitty website. What a shit, moneygrubbing outfit. I hope we stuff them.
Link now says "product unavailable". There must be a cut off time for online sales, although it doesn't mention that if it's the case. Bollocks to that then, I'll go and watch the women's game at Barking tomorrow instead.

I got in the ground at 3.02pm so missed the goal. Romain possibly lucky to not get a red card after a coming together with their centre back before he went off with a back injury picked up in the same incident.

Decent 10 minutes before half time, Mills with a header eight or so yards out that he could have done better with, Scott with a curling effort from the edge of the box that nearly crept in the bottom corner.

Cheshunt are poor but outworked us for much of the half and have a vague plan. We could easily get back into it if we can come up with one of our own. We shall see.

Last edited:
I don't see why this is so unjustifiable to be honest. If most people buy in advance, the club can see how many staff they need and can make last minute adjustments (and avoid overpaying for staff they don't need).

For example, anyone at the first DHFC women's game of this season will remember how slow the bar was because over 500 people decided to turn up. If the club had sold that many advance tickets, they'd have probably been able to get an extra bar person on.

I realise supply of booze to the fans is an important consideration these days, ahead of the actual football. However given that Cheshunt’s gates are consistent between 400 & 500 I’m not sure an extra server at the bar would make one heck of a lot of difference.

I don't see why this is so unjustifiable to be honest. If most people buy in advance, the club can see how many staff they need and can make last minute adjustments (and avoid overpaying for staff they don't need).

For example, anyone at the first DHFC women's game of this season will remember how slow the bar was because over 500 people decided to turn up. If the club had sold that many advance tickets, they'd have probably been able to get an extra bar person on.
If that’s considered a slow bar we’ve come a long long way from a few years ago!

Off the top of my head I don’t believe Dulwich switch off online sales for the women’s games unlike the men’s ones.

It’s more that it speeds things up imo. Tickets in advance move through turnstiles faster.
Spot on! Even at the top of my form on the turnstiles it probably takes between a third and a quarter of the time to get an advance ticket scanned through as opposed to cash. And it’s quicker than contactless as the operator still has to wait for payment to be approved.

Spot on! Even at the top of my form on the turnstiles it probably takes between a third and a quarter of the time to get an advance ticket scanned through as opposed to cash. And it’s quicker than contactless as the operator still has to wait for payment to be approved.
So the extra two quid is basically a tax for making me wait, which I’m bang into. Double-busy here.

It might be slightly more justified if they made it clear online sales will end at least 3 hours before kick-off, but there was no mention of that on their ticket website, just a sudden message that tickets were no longer available when I logged on to buy one around 12.30pm.

This is typical of pathetic modern "customer service" standards, whereby everything is prioritised to suit the vendor rather than the paying.customer. Today's attendance was 458, which is precisely their average so far this season, so the ground was mostly empty. Do they actually want to attract more people through the gate? Maybe not.

I was wavering over whether or not to go today. I've done every single home and away game in a season when we were relegated by a mile, as well as doing every game in several other seasons, but no away league win since January (a run of 17 matches) has sapped my enthusiasm, so I went to a county league game instead and paid £7 as well as saving a bit more on train fares. Once again, I don't need to pay in advance when the ground will be nowhere near full, and if they want to charge me extra to pay on arrival then ultimately don't need to go there at all. Their loss, they could have had my £12 but didn't get it.

It’s more that it speeds things up imo. Tickets in advance move through turnstiles faster.
The queue at the turnstile was incredibly slow die to a dicky card machine, so loads of people missed the first ten minutes.

And the queue was only about 15 people.
#omnishambles

A good start to the second half was undone by their second goal, a semi-quick break panicked our defence, Ruddy rushed out and got nowhere near to let their player place it into a mostly unguarded net.

Mills had two excellent chances to score with headers from close range but managed to find the keeper instead of the gaping net both times. An own goal was disallowed for a foul throw of all things. Until a handball and good penalty from Wanadio in the final minute of stoppage time it looked like we could play all day and not score. The ref was poor but even handedly so to both teams.

There doesn’t seem to be any structure or a plan to our play. When a pass is made the player receiving the ball doesn’t seem to have a preconceived idea of what to do next. It’s so easy for teams to close us down resulting in lost possession or lumps up to the front men. We inevitably invite pressure on ourselves which results in errors and goals.

Mills made a big difference when he came on, as did Krasniqi. Wanadio kept going throughout. Braham-Barrett did well in an advanced role before having to drop back.

Stating the obvious, but if we keep losing to teams like Cheshunt we’re in big trouble.

Last edited:
Do they actually want to attract more people through the gate? Maybe not.
I’m more likely to go back to something I don’t have to queue for. Oysters (or not taking cash payments) have revolutionised bus travel. Game of opinions and all that but I’d say they’re trying to get more in by speeding up the process of getting people in.

This is the squad that the manager put together claiming he was focused on bringing in good characters who would show pride and passion as a minimum, unlike the team he inherited last season? Got it.
Yeah, fair point. Haven't seen that at all. Porter was passionate but constant liability, cant seem to be find the right balance.

Back
Top Bottom