Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charity Shop Bargains

Picked up this table - an all time mid-century design classic created in 1927 by Eileen Gray - for £3 today. :cool:

View attachment 341158

score! :thumbs:

just looked on ebay to see how much they are selling for...found this action shot, suggests how the base can be used to slot under a sofa leg
s-l1600.jpg

Over on the mid century modern facebook group, a poster tells me Gray designed it for her sister who enjoyed breakfasts in bed for breakfasting purposes - apparently there is a wood tray with a slot for use with it...

I was in Morecambe last week & in one shop got the following for 50p each. I think there was a sort of sale on but the shop wasn’t one who prices folk out of shopping at charity shops so all items were good prices.

Black Superdry skinny jeans

Zara blue & white striped long trousers that look like a skirt

MIA double CD

Adrian Sherwood CD

& my partner bought a sorta Dolls World dolls head (think that’s what they are called but basically a dolls head with long hair on shoulders). I’m sure why he bought this will be revealed in time.

Then in Bridgenorth I bought a purple La Redoute cardi for £3 & PG Tips Snap cards for 99p

A huge haul from Tenterden in Kent. Mainly run of the mill cds, dvds and books.

This cd is a standout - Wipeout Audio cd soundtrack for £1, goes for a lot more on eBay. Only bought it as I liked the music, but checked with a gamer mate and he said it’s fairly valuable
A233999A-04B7-49FF-A01D-766A0D805B9C.jpeg
Also those 6 Pimpernel place mats for £1.50 to go with my new table

FD4DB7D0-C86F-49B7-999B-3C6B6A8006BA.jpeg

A nice salad bowl for £2
11858B9D-0359-4204-BC09-28DB30C9DF2B.jpeg
And a new jug for my filter coffee machine (existing one is cracked at the bottom) also for £1.50

30D0440C-8159-4258-8EA7-F5455DC164A8.jpeg

A huge haul from Tenterden in Kent. Mainly run of the mill cds, dvds and books.

This cd is a standout - Wipeout Audio cd soundtrack for £1, goes for a lot more on eBay. Only bought it as I liked the music, but checked with a gamer mate and he said it’s fairly valuable
View attachment 348674
Also those 6 Pimpernel place mats for £1.50 to go with my new table

View attachment 348685

A nice salad bowl for £2
View attachment 348686
And a new jug for my filter coffee machine (existing one is cracked at the bottom) also for £1.50

View attachment 348687
Excellent haul!

3 for a £1 on CDs and DVDs at a shop in Torquay, picked up a few gems such as The Commitments, Apocalypse Now Redux and The Big Country.

Amongst the CDs was Craig David - Born to Do It which will be ideal for any romantic occasions :p

Also really liked a sofa, was £125 but perfect size and colour, alas I prevaricated and by the time I’d come back from breakfast it was already sold. Bah!

I took 2 big bags to the charity shop & left with this green vase & the circle thing which is a candle holder. And a dress, a much needed clothes airer, a stoneware pot for wooden spoons & a jar with lid for bathroom stuff!

Attachments

• 642BD62F-7239-4B57-9F34-CD6EAF478D71.jpeg
    642BD62F-7239-4B57-9F34-CD6EAF478D71.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 18
Does anyone else visit certain towns because they know the charity shops will yield interesting items?

Well not "towns" as I live in London and getting stuff home from elsewhere is more of a pain/expense than it's worth - but yeah posher areas are sometimes worth a jaunt round the charity shops, simply because people in those areas tend to have nicer stuff to donate/replace items more frequently.

Well not "towns" as I live in London and getting stuff home from elsewhere is more of a pain/expense than it's worth - but yeah posher areas are sometimes worth a jaunt round the charity shops, simply because people in those areas tend to have nicer stuff to donate/replace items more frequently.
I did a chazza shop odyssey before lockdown that took me from Battersea (Northcote Rd) to Clapham High St, then over to Brixton Traid, then Herne Hill Oxfam and on to East Dulwich. Came home with loads of great stuff :cool:

Back
Top Bottom