Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charity Shop Bargains

I did a chazza shop odyssey before lockdown that took me from Battersea (Northcote Rd) to Clapham High St, then over to Brixton Traid, then Herne Hill Oxfam and on to East Dulwich. Came home with loads of great stuff :cool:

Battersea and Clapham used to be great for charity shops, not been over there for a while.

Does anyone else visit certain towns because they know the charity shops will yield interesting items?

Yes but will also factor charity shop time into visits to new places. I scored some fab finds in Aberystwyth in 2021 but found Llandudno to be too pricey that I saw a nice dress & bought much cheaper on Vinted. I’m very against charity shops pricing folk out of shopping in them so try not to pay over the odds so as not to encourage it.

Yes but will also factor charity shop time into visits to new places. I scored some fab finds in Aberystwyth in 2021 but found Llandudno to be too pricey that I saw a nice dress & bought much cheaper on Vinted. I’m very against charity shops pricing folk out of shopping in them so try not to pay over the odds so as not to encourage it.
Aye, there should be a balance of raising money for the charity and helping the local community/bargain hunters by providing low-cost used goods. Has to be both IMO.

Bridport today for a work meeting which provided an interesting haul of DVDs. Of course there was the usual selection of action movies and Disney, but I’ve never seen so many interesting classic and foreign language films.

I only had time to go into three shops on my lunch break. But then my back pack was totally full so I was happy as they included some films I’ve wanted to see but are hard to find on streaming sites and rarely on tv. These came to about £20 in total

0D969DFE-B808-4C2F-AD6C-A44E5792BAD9.jpeg

Bridport today for a work meeting which provided an interesting haul of DVDs. Of course there was the usual selection of action movies and Disney, but I’ve never seen so many interesting classic and foreign language films.

I only had time to go into three shops on my lunch break. But then my back pack was totally full so I was happy as they included some films I’ve wanted to see but are hard to find on streaming sites and rarely on tv. These came to about £20 in total

View attachment 361582
I bieve that is what is known as a ring flash pull 👍

I just bought a fucked-up antique tuba for £25 in cancer research. I'm not so sure this was a good idea. But I fell in love with it, and lacking a plan, I thought, "what would Tom Waits do?"
I brought it into the house, and my wife laughed hysterically for about 20 seconds. It goes without saying that I can't play the tuba, which is probably for the best.

I just bought a fucked-up antique tuba for £25 in cancer research. I'm not so sure this was a good idea. But I fell in love with it, and lacking a plan, I thought, "what would Tom Waits do?"
I brought it into the house, and my wife laughed hysterically for about 20 seconds. It goes without saying that I can't play the tuba, which is probably for the best.
Would make an attractive garden planter?

It's this gin glass btw, I've been wanting one for ages (I love Silent Pool both the gin and the place, I used to play there before the distillery existed as it is just round the corner from where I grew up, happy memories) but no fucking way was I going to pay £12 for one.
So finding one in my local (and nowhere near the distillery) Age UK in perfect nick for £1.99 was a real I'll have that thank you very much moment :D

Gin Glass.JPG

It's this gin glass btw, I've been wanting one for ages (I love Silent Pool both the gin and the place, I used to play there before the distillery existed as it is just round the corner from where I grew up, happy memories) but no fucking way was I going to pay £12 for one.
So finding one in my local (and nowhere near the distillery) Age UK in perfect nick for £1.99 was a real I'll have that thank you very much moment :D

View attachment 364299
I love the colours! It's a very pretty glass imo.

These made me very happy this morning for 50p.

Would anyone like to have a guess at what they're for? I didn't know at the time of buying them but I did recognise the makers mark and knew I was onto something.

20230228_105737.jpg

Back
Top Bottom