Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charity Shop Bargains

OH had 2 days off in a row this week, this afternoon we went to Balham and walked up towards Clapham which is a charity shop "golden mile" of sorts, as some of you will already know! Some of them are a tad expensive and gentrified mind, but there are still bargains to be had.

I bought a little trinket box - tiny little thing probably intended for ring storage, very pretty black enamel box inlaid with mother of pearl on the lid and around the sides in a floral design and with a red fabric lining, it was my mum's birthday a few days ago and I am seeing her next week and I know she'll love it.

I also bought 3 psychological thriller novel paperbacks in the Oasis charity shop where a lot of stuff is a bit pricey but most paperbacks are £1 each which is about my limit for spending on second-hand paperback fiction and they had a good selection, so I was well chuffed. When I have read them I will distribute them around some of the local "little libraries" as I don't really have the storage space for more books (half of my book collection is already at my parents' house because we are out of shelf space here, and I am going to have to take those back at some point because they have got into the whole Swedish Death Cleaning thing, not wanting to leave a lot of clutter for us to deal with when the inevitable happens).

OH bought a little hardback Susan Hill ghost story which is just a nice looking book (and I quite enjoy Susan Hill so we'll both read it and probably keep that one as it is a pretty hardback book), an Extinction Rebellion handbook, and a hoodie with an octopus printed on the front and back.

We both looked at a lot of cookery books - his current obsession is cake decorating and chocolate/confectionary making (he is going to make some chocolates for my mum for her birthday in addition to the little trinket box I bought today) and there were a few good books about those subjects, and I flipped through a Roasting Tin book, a Rick Stein book, and an Anjum Anand Indian Cookery book but ended up not buying any as they were a bit more pricey.

Last edited:
This is junk shop not charity shop but I got the complete Northern Exposure box set for 20 quid.

I’m so excited, it’s not available for legit streaming anywhere.

Really glad we didn’t ditch the Xbox with the disc drive now!

I also got a couple of nice glass dishes. I did break a nail though so need to add the 6 quid repair onto my spends for the day.

B0DEF888-ED3B-4461-8818-D2DA4F48AC31.jpegE6A3271C-02EA-4220-9BDE-82950CF714C8.jpeg

Not a recent buy, but for a tenner I got two long multi-tiered skirts with tiny little irridescent beads on them, one a turquoise skirt, the other an aubergine one. I still wear them.

This is junk shop not charity shop but I got the complete Northern Exposure box set for 20 quid.

I’m so excited, it’s not available for legit streaming anywhere.

Really glad we didn’t ditch the Xbox with the disc drive now!

I also got a couple of nice glass dishes. I did break a nail though so need to add the 6 quid repair onto my spends for the day.

View attachment 369048View attachment 369049

More impressed with your coasters mind ;)

Ingoldmells street market stall, a quid for the roy (signed) and the rest 3 for a pound. I'm unashamed to say as soon as I saw the Lord Longford book in the box I did the 'I wish I'd killed a few people, I wish I was a mass murderer so Lord Longford could come round and give me the horn' bit in my head.

newbooksorwellongford.jpg

£1.50 for a Ancient Greek style horse - provenance unknown

View attachment 376703

Etruscan pork chop! (That is probably going to be a bizarre sounding comment to anyone who doesn't remember the convo on here a while back about a photo of a meal and the shape of the pork chop :D )

EDIT: Actually turns out (after a bit of tango with the search facility on here) that it was some back bacon, the photo doesn't exist any more, where someone had snipped the fat so as to stop it curling in the pan, and I said I'd done similar to pork chops and used the phrase "Etruscan Pork Chop" to refer to the curve of it like the neck of an Etruscan stylised horse sculpture/art so apparently I am just referencing my own invented phrase :oops: (I studied archaeology and have a degree in it. Etruscan is from what is now modern Italy not Greece though, if you'll indulge me a bit of pedantry on the issue!).

Last edited:
I bought a painting of Lou Reed for 80p in a jumble sale and using that picture I fed myself and others all day long and I still had the picture by the end of the day. I gave it to a girl busking in town. I don't have a photo as this was one of my non matrix days, where the most mad stuff happens.

Bought this shade for a fiver in Settle.

My stepson wants a standard lamp for Xmas, we have plenty stands but not shades. Decisions to be made if I keep this for myself , give to him as is or the shade is coloured.

Attachments

• CB60A24B-31C6-4A78-8580-56248C39F1F8.jpeg
    CB60A24B-31C6-4A78-8580-56248C39F1F8.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom