Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charity Shop Bargains

I used to have loads of running books - Noakes Lore of Running covers the science in huge detail (lots of stuff about rectal temperature). Hal Higdon, Norrie Williamson, Pfitzinger and Douglas, Jeff Galloway - all had very good training manuals for various distances.
I found this one more of a coffee table/toilet read.

I found it odd that it looks so 70s/80s, but it's actually from the post 2000s as I recall.

Found a great little saucepan the other day, to replace one that flatmate had burnt beyond redemption and chucked out.
Milk pan size, perfect for one portion of porridge or noodle soup.
It wasn't so much the bargain that chuffed me - I would have been happy to invest in a new one (within reason), but I just could not find new exactly what I was looking for, which was heavy bottomed, and most importantly non-non-stick.
V pleased.

That’s a good find. Charity shop vinyl is usually Cliff and Mantovani

I picked up some more books - again :facepalm::D - today in Llangollen. Roger Moore’s autobiography is the pick of them.

I bought a pair of denim jeans from Traid last week, they were having a sale of their stock so I only paid £3 for them.
The brand is Tellason made in the USA and I could see they were well made - just checked them out on the internet and they are not cheap!
It appears that you need to shrink wash as they are cone denim so I need to be careful about that - they looked almost new so I don't know if that's been done!

I bought a pair of denim jeans from Traid last week, they were having a sale of their stock so I only paid £3 for them.
The brand is Tellason made in the USA and I could see they were well made - just checked them out on the internet and they are not cheap!
It appears that you need to shrink wash as they are cone denim so I need to be careful about that - they looked almost new so I don't know if that's been done!
If they've been washed at all they'll be shrunk

Shrinking is caused by heat and agitation, so as long as you wash at low temperature and don't spin dry you're good to use a washing machine
Thanks for that, they are actually very slightly large on me so I'd be ok with a small amount of shrinkage.

In that case the thing to do is to give them a hot wash, then put them on while they're still damp and wear them round the house until they're dry.

Ugh that sounds really uncomfortable, wet jeans is just as bad as wet socks but they chafe more. :(

They are quality jeans and made in Italy. Well I’m impressed.

Not a charity shop but someone is giving away stuff just down the road.

Picked up a walking stick and a discman case which will be handy for various bits of tech I think.

93A741ED-7862-4C99-BD8D-37436983AF3E.jpeg

There were also some cassettes, umbrellas, a foot spa, some old paintings and books and this impressive old hifi system which I left for others

A174F55B-E9FA-4118-8CF7-C063D634C19A.jpeg

Piggy bowl (for friend who I was staying with who loves pigs - slightly jealous; I'd quite like it for myself now!) £1
Short Topshop denim skirt (to add to my collection, and one comfortable size up) £3.50
"On Learning from the Patient" by Patrick Casement (which had just been recommended to me) £2

Attachments

• 20220205_125832.jpg
    20220205_125832.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 15
Today in the charity shop I found a Kuvings macerating juicer for four pounds. I just made myself an apple, carrot and beetroot juice on arriving home and am very pleased - the quality of the juice is vastly superior to the centrifugal juicer I've been using up til now, and there's lots more of it too. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom