Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charged £125 damage fee for 3mm scratch on rental car

A little bump. Sixt has failed me for the first time, and in Spain as well where even the likes of Avis, who behave like cunts here, are pretty fair and relaxed about damage.

I got an email today informing me their office in Murcia has found a 10 cm deep scratch on one of the doors after my rental. I cannot access the images they sent anymore but it is so faint it doesn’t show at all in the image showing the entire door, only in a close up shot.

The car was pristine when I returned it and in the images I took no scratch is visible (though tbf neither was in their own image). But no employee came to greet us and check the car, and when I went to their car park porta cabin office 20 metres away they took the keys and told me no need for me to wait and that they’d check it later. So for all I know they didn’t check for hours and someone retuning a car next to ours scratched it as they brushed past it. Either way, do they have a legal right to charge me with the damage when the car was returned during business hours and they failed to check it with me present?

Deny it was you. Do you have any pics of when you returned it?

Refuse to pay unless they have clear proof it happened and make a fuss about no one checking it with you there def. Poor form. I do think they try it on sometimes.

Deny it was you. Do you have any pics of when you returned it?

Refuse to pay unless they have clear proof it happened and make a fuss about no one checking it with you there def. Poor form. I do think they try it on sometimes.
I did take pictures, luckily. I sent them with my completed report form, and I have just heard from them. They replied that in view of my report and images they consider the matter closed. So my faith in Sixt is restored :)

Last edited:
A little bump. Sixt has failed me for the first time, and in Spain as well where even the likes of Avis, who behave like cunts here, are pretty fair and relaxed about damage.

I got an email today informing me their office in Murcia has found a 10 cm deep scratch on one of the doors after my rental. I cannot access the images they sent anymore but it is so faint it doesn’t show at all in the image showing the entire door, only in a close up shot.

The car was pristine when I returned it and in the images I took no scratch is visible (though tbf neither was in their own image). But no employee came to greet us and check the car, and when I went to their car park porta cabin office 20 metres away they took the keys and told me no need for me to wait and that they’d check it later. So for all I know they didn’t check for hours and someone retuning a car next to ours scratched it as they brushed past it. Either way, do they have a legal right to charge me with the damage when the car was returned during business hours and they failed to check it with me present?

Dunno about in Spain but in the UK, no bloody way. That vehicle was in perfect condition when it was returned, the damage must have happened on the lot afterwards. They are completely unable to prove otherwise. Tell them to fuck off.

i have just mAshed a spanking new dacia duster arse on a slippy track whilst trying to get up to an abandoned nuclear bunker near buzludzha. this is gonna be fun when i drop it back off

This sounds like it must have a story behind it.

i have just mAshed a spanking new dacia duster arse on a slippy track whilst trying to get up to an abandoned nuclear bunker near buzludzha. this is gonna be fun when i drop it back off
If you had the full insurance contracted out, no sweat whatsoever. If not, should be nothing worse than the upper excess limit.

Your post has remained me of a really funny Jackass stunt whereby they hired a car with full insurance from the car hire place, entered it into a demolition derby race, and returned it at the end of the day absolutely mashed up. The face of the car hire company owner was fucking priceless :D

Back
Top Bottom