Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cat ladder (big pic)

perching ledges

elmer-stephen-a-cat-with-trout-perch-and-carp-on-a-ledge.jpg

Oh, fuck.

Weatherproofing it has rendered it horribly slippery to little cat paws. I've just watched her sprint down it, entirely unintentionally, hurtling like a little ball of forward-projected cat :D

TY. Will look at that.

Having had a feel I reckon it's basically ok, she just needs to adjust; but if I can find something that'll make it easier... obv that's a bonus.

e2a: £20, though? :facepalm: The cost of this thing'll be more than doubled by paint and treatment :D And chances are we'll have to get rid of it when we move in <6 months anyhows :D

If she can't adjust atm, I might see if some rough sanding helps...

What did you weatherproof it with ? :hmm:
Outdoor furniture protection / waterproofing. Not varnish.

I've now done the obvious thing, and carpeted it.

e2a:

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

e2a2: and Nigel definitely approves!

e2a3: oh jesus, now the wood treatment is stopping the ladder from sticking up top! It's alright so far, but I wouldn't like Nigel to try coming up and down twice in a row...

e2a4: a quadruply-wrapped string stay (pulling a rung forward, tight against a small outflow pipe) has secured it. It's now solid as :thumbs:

Ace!! We have had to adapt things for mala as she has gotten older. She has various 'steps' in the living room and to get in/out the cat gap.

Nigel can now go pretty much straight from our bed to the garden, and vice versa.

As an Artichoke explosion revealed this morning, this is not an unqualified good:
Oops :D

One might have expected the carpet to have functioned like a doormat and paw cleaner! shame if tis not.

One might have expected the carpet to have functioned like a doormat and paw cleaner! shame if tis not.
Yeah, I'd sold this to Artichoke last night as one of the fringe benefits. Maybe not :D

tbf, I think she spreads her paws a bit more on the duvet. On the ladder, she's tensed up and digging in her claws. By the time she reaches us, she's sprawling her fat little pads out, and smooshing out to relax.

e2a: might be worth mentioning that the first thing she hits is my desk. So she'll have a chance to dry her paws on the stacks of paperwork heaped up there, too :D

Looking at that blog, I do like the ones which have gaps. They appear to be more rat-resistant. Squirrels are a different matter...

Outdoor furniture protection / waterproofing. Not varnish.

I've now done the obvious thing, and carpeted it.

e2a:

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

e2a2: and Nigel definitely approves!

e2a3: oh jesus, now the wood treatment is stopping the ladder from sticking up top! It's alright so far, but I wouldn't like Nigel to try coming up and down twice in a row...

e2a4: a quadruply-wrapped string stay (pulling a rung forward, tight against a small outflow pipe) has secured it. It's now solid as :thumbs:

Won't the carpet just get soggy and muddy over time?

Won't the carpet just get soggy and muddy over time?
I reckon it won't 'just' get soggy and muddy over time, I reckon it'll get mouldy too! :D

e2a: I should probably add that this will probably be a summer thing. We're moving at some point. I'm final final year PhD, absolute deadline on October 1st, though that's pushing it. Artichoke is part-time working in France next year. I need to find a job in the imminent. I can't see any way of transporting a 6-metre cat ladder in a van, and I'm not sure that it's worth the effort of breaking it up (it'd require a lot of work, and it'd be a nightmare to reassemble with any structural stability. That's presuming we moved to a place where we've got a reason to get her coming up to the 1st floor...) So, like... It hopefully won't matter that it'd rot in winter.

Oh, I reckon she'd prefer damp carpet to wet-through treated wood. In terms of purchase, at least.

Poor my desk and poor my paperwork, more like.

Also, I wonder if this is an invitation to a bedroom intruder?

Hide your kids. Hide your wife.

Collie lies on ground floor, cats live on upper floor, child gate separates them. Cats have catflap but can't use it at night, when kitchen door gets shut.
In which case, an upstairs catflap sounds like an excellent idea :thumbs:

Also, what does he lie about? :(

Back
Top Bottom