Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cat ladder (big pic)

This is from this morning. I'm in my office. Nigel is saying 'you what? Are you nuts? No chance!'

8294a653.jpg

This is from this afternoon. tbf, I'd just stood a chair three times, and let her scrabble up onto it of her own accord. The first two times, she turned around and headed straight for ground. On the third occasion, she had a bit of a *lightbulb* moment. And you could kinda see the ears prick up, she leant forward, and kinda went 'OH. That's your OFFICE. That's my WINDOW LEDGE. Who would've thought you could get to them from here, like this?'

And after a couple of false / hesitant starts, she climbed up to the top. Then I took a couple of pics:

Long way down:

2800d053.jpg

But, tbf, it's a long way up too:

319b2db5.jpg

AHHHH FUckit:

399efeaf.jpg

And then I remembered my iPod does video, too.

out of interest - where did you get your cat ladder Mrs Q?

£20 (4x2.1m) pine planks from B&Q, £10 of saws (BOGOF), £3.16 of dowelling for rungs, and - IIRC - £1.38 of galvanised nails!

I also used some rather slenderer nails we had from a 'nail multipack' I bought ages ago, and I had some wood glue left over from assembling a desk.

e2a: took about... 60-90 minutes' work, too. None of it particularly heavy-duty.

e2a: took about... 60-90 minutes' work, too. None of it particularly heavy-duty.

But you did not have the decency to test it yourself before subjecting the poor moggie with its verical death defyingness! Moggie was the guinnie pig eh :)

But you did not have the decency to test it yourself before subjecting the poor moggie with its verical death defyingness! Moggie was the guinnie pig eh :)
That depends on what you mean by 'test.'

If you mean 'did I test a system designed for a 4kg animal by using the full weight of a 95kg human being,' then no. No, I did not. I'm - broadly speaking - minded to think that doing so might have led to a rather overdesigned system which - at a bare minimum - might have been attended by additional difficulties, such as 'providing piss-easy access to burglars.'

I did give it a few bloody good whacks, and bounced it and heaved it around a fair few times, though. Until I was more than satisfied that the system was adequate for cat support purposes.

You may want to use some sort of preservative on that - especially on top of the steps...
And I'm wondering if you might not one day want to attach a reinforcing web to the back ...

Unless it's a short-term setup ...

(sorry)

EDIT :-

I hadn't considered the security side of things ...

Genius! My father used to have a more permanent solution - thin roof slates embedded into the render on the wall so the cat could climb up to a catflap in the bathroom window. The weight of a human would snap the slates off, but they held the cat's weight.

Nice!

I fancy you could cut off the section away from the wall though once he's got the hang of it - cats are good at jumping about :)

It the ladder actually attached to the windowsill or wall? It might slide away if it's windy or something :oops:

You should see what I have planned for built-in shelves in our new lounge :D

It the ladder actually attached to the windowsill or wall? It might slide away if it's windy or something :oops:
It's got a double-thickness rung nailed to the bottom, which (with the weight of the ladder) gives it pretty good purchase. In my ideal world, and in the near future, I'll look to rubberise the steps and bottom of it somehow, and weather treat it. It's a work in progress, but is safe ATM.

It's got a double-thickness rung nailed to the bottom, which (with the weight of the ladder) gives it pretty good purchase. In my ideal world, and in the near future, I'll look to rubberise the steps and bottom of it somehow, and weather treat it. It's a work in progress, but is safe ATM.

I did not doubt your H&S care for Nigel :)

She's just been down again :cool: I think the cat ladder is now an engrained and understood part of Nigel's life :)

She paused twice on the way down. In a nonchalant 'oh, yah, I'm just a cat on a cat ladder, just - o, u no - lookin around, enjoying the walk' kinda way, too :thumbs:

I thought she might actually sit down. But she didn't. (And, tbh, she'd just have a horizontal back if she did sit down. Given the angle.)

What I want to understand is your inability to follow the simplest inicators of gender naming, I now discover that Mrs Quoad is in fact male, and Nigel is female .... could it get any more complicated!!

You and nigel could swop names, that would sort it once and for all :)

She's just been down again :cool: I think the cat ladder is now an engrained and understood part of Nigel's life :)

She paused twice on the way down. In a nonchalant 'oh, yah, I'm just a cat on a cat ladder, just - o, u no - lookin around, enjoying the walk' kinda way, too :thumbs:

I thought she might actually sit down. But she didn't. (And, tbh, she'd just have a horizontal back if she did sit down. Given the angle.)

small-cat-3.gif

Back
Top Bottom