Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carrot/onion/pepper/pumpkin jams, things to do with them

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
I am working at a company that is producing the above jams/marmalade things. The products are not yet on the market, and are made with "real" ingredients, not purée. The jams/marmalades have vegetable pieces in them and are made in small scale traditional style kitchens. They have asked me for some ideas for a recipe book that will be translated into Spanish. I have no ideas at all.

SubUrban always has ideas, so I'm asking for them! Your recipe could become famous here in Andalucia!

Thanks for your help.

I associate those things more with chutney than jam tbh.
I can probably dig out some decent chutney recipes?
It is entirely possible that I have misunderstood.

there might be a problem with the translation which calls them marmalade, but they are similar in consistency to jam/marmalade rather than chutney. The problem here is that these things are uncommon, and the company is wanting to develop a recipe book to inform customers how they can be used besides putting them on toast.

I am still a bit confused, sorry to say!
If they aren't chutney or pickles then I am not sure it is something I have ever come across either (is the company you work for trying to be really groundbreaking?) :oops:

I guess in general terms I might put stuff like that into soups or casseroles if I were in a hurry I guess :confused:
Sorry, really trying my best here, imagination has failed. :/

Shortcrust tart base (blind baked), layer of savoury jam first, then a layer of caramelised onions, top with goats cheese, bake until cheese melted.

Isn't that just hiding the jam under a load of other culinary stuff?

Rolled out piece of puff pastry, spread some savoury jam on, then place thin piesces of onions, peppers, fresh chillies, sliced courgettes and olives on top. Top with cheese, and bake until the pastry is crisp, veg are cooked and cheese is melted.

Add some to bread dough for savoury bread. Good to use for tear'n'share bread recipes. Also to top bread rolls with before baking for some bubbly sticky savoury topping.

I have a recipe:

Take 2 hamsters and 3 jars of any kind of your special jam.
Put all of it into a blender and zizz it for at least 3 minutes until you have a fine paste.

Leave in the airing cupboard in an open container for a week and when you return you will find you have a fine crop of tulips.

This is how you get tulips from hamster jam.

I have a recipe:

Take 2 hamsters and 3 jars of any kind of your special jam.
Put all of it into a blender and zizz it for at least 3 minutes until you have a fine paste.

Leave in the airing cupboard in an open container for a week and when you return you will find you have a fine crop of tulips.

This is how you get tulips from hamster jam.

I saw that one coming a fucking mile off tbh - but well played, well played. :D

Yeah. To me jam is something that is preserved with sugar. Savoury 'jams' are in essence chutneys as they use vinegar or some sort of acid too.. the exception is marmalade as that has some sort of citric juice in it as well as sugar, but to me that's why it's marmalade not a jam

'Preserves' would probably be a better word :)

Add some to bread dough for savoury bread. Good to use for tear'n'share bread recipes. Also to top bread rolls with before baking for some bubbly sticky savoury topping.

That actually sounds like an awesome idea. Cesare is your ad woman, she is making me want to buy some!

Last edited:
I use apple or apricot jam as a marinade on baked chicken or grilled pork. I water it down with some soy sauce and garlic and paint it on the meat. For the chicken I bake it for an hour in a 350 degree F oven.

I'm sure you could do an adaptation for their product.

Back
Top Bottom