Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City RedBlueDragonBirds 2012-2013 season

Cardiff is a product amongst a range of products. I buy that product over other products because of locality. The product I enjoy is football (of varying quality) the quality of the football hasn't been the selling point but I would prefer a better product in that respect please.

The branding etc. is just marketing / garnish to help you distinguish between one product over another. I don't choose a club on such garnishes.
Blue is my favourite colour. But had Cardiff been wearing Green in the 1980's I wouldn't have gone searching for another club which more closely matched my colour pallet preferences and now be talking to you as a Chelsea or Everton supporter.

Cardiff is a product amongst a range of products. I buy that product over other products because of locality. The product I enjoy is football (of varying quality) the quality of the football hasn't been the selling point but I would prefer a better product in that respect please.

The branding etc. is just marketing / garnish to help you distinguish between one product over another. I don't choose a club on such garnishes.
Blue is my favourite colour. But had Cardiff been wearing Green in the 1980's I wouldn't have gone searching for another club which more closely matched my colour pallet preferences and now be talking to you as a Chelsea or Everton supporter.

It's not just a change of colour though, is it?
It's a complete break from the club's heritage and traditions of over a hundred years, all done on the whim of a promise-breaking foreign investor.

In case you've forgotten, this is what heritage looks like:

Cardiff%20City.jpg

Cardiff_608x480.jpg

6530219_450_450_0_0_fit_0_2b67886007df3e2f153017fb2c01cd89.jpg

Heritage. Just more marketing fluff.

Nots Forest go on about their cup heritage. Its spin you buy to make up for the fact you aren't doing it today.
We might be shit but at least we have heritage.
We are great and thats down to our heritage!

Both are market fluff for time spent after the final whistle and the next kick off whistle.
Our performance today was down to the club today, not the fact we won the FA cup in 1927 in blue.

Heritage. Just more marketing fluff.

Nots Forest go on about their cup heritage. Its spin you buy to make up for the fact you aren't doing it today.
We might be shit but at least we have heritage.
We are great and thats down to our heritage!

Both are market fluff for time spent after the final whistle and the next kick off whistle.
Our performance today was down to the club today, not the fact we won the FA cup in 1927 in blue.
If it's all just marketing fluff, I'm not sure what about "the product" you're buying into? There's far better quality football elsewhere, you can find far cheaper, far more reliable entertainment for the money it costs to get into a football ground these days. Surely there's got to be some sort of emotional involvement with an abstract idea of what the club is about to get you down there and parting with your hard earned cash?

The emotional involvement for me has always been that they are representing my home town on the pitch and thats all it as ever been .

Its why i started supporting them and why i'll continue to do so so long as its the city of Cardiff they represent whether they are the Cardiff Bluebirds, The Cardiff Dragons or the Cardiff kitty cats.

The emotional involvement for me has always been that they are representing my home town on the pitch and thats all it as ever been .

Its why i started supporting them and why i'll continue to do so so long as its the city of Cardiff they represent whether they are the Cardiff Bluebirds, The Cardiff Dragons or the Cardiff kitty cats.
How about 'Vincent Tan's Red Dragons (from Cardiff)'? We might get another £10m for that, so it's got to be worth going along with, yes?

How about 'Vincent Tan's Red Dragons (from Cardiff)'? We might get another £10m for that, so it's got to be worth going along with, yes?

Name one other top flight club that has done anything remotely like that?

TNS are not top flight by the way.

Name one other top flight club that has done anything remotely like that?

TNS are not top flight by the way.
Can you name any top flight club that has changed its strip, badge, branding and (it seems) nickname in recent memory?

Is the heritage not part of the way in which they represent Cardiff?

I mean for many years Ipswich Town represented the place I'm from by being a small, friendly football club which the whole community got behind, which through a bit of patience and hard work punched above its weight for a long time and played some good football in front of passionate fans. I was proud of that, and the fact that we'd won a few things back in the day, and had a good patch a decade ago, that all made me proud of my team and my town.

Now? We're owned by some events promoter who funds a depressing merry-go-round of journeymen footballers, while charging sky-high prices to get into our graveyard stadium, whilst the whole town shrugs its shoulders. I hope to fuck that doesn't represent my town.

Equally, I'm not sure any club representing your town as a place where plenty are prepared to climb on a bandwagon so long as it gets them to mid-table in the sodding premier league is anything that would make me proud either.

Is the heritage not part of the way in which they represent Cardiff?

I mean for many years Ipswich Town represented the place I'm from by being a small, friendly football club which the whole community got behind, which through a bit of patience and hard work punched above its weight for a long time and played some good football in front of passionate fans. I was proud of that, and the fact that we'd won a few things back in the day, and had a good patch a decade ago, that all made me proud of my team and my town.

Now? We're owned by some events promoter who funds a depressing merry-go-round of journeymen footballers, while charging sky-high prices to get into our graveyard stadium, whilst the whole town shrugs its shoulders. I hope to fuck that doesn't represent my town.

Equally, I'm not sure any club representing your town as a place where plenty are prepared to climb on a bandwagon so long as it gets them to mid-table in the sodding premier league is anything that would make me proud either.

Plenty of people want to get to the prem purely because of the status of being a prem club.
Others because of the chance of seeing some of the best football stars in the world play (albeit against us).
Me. I want the money to dig us out of the maaaasive debt Hammam dumped us into. A debt free Cardiff that ends back in the Championship would be fine by me. See where we go from there on a sound financial footing.

Gromit is obviously the only person to have read the above post from CCMB, basically its says that the heritage and ckub is about the fans not the colours, badge or anything else. I concur with that.

Some of the people getting the most wound up about this dont even go to games so what its got to do with them in the first place I dont know.

Gromit is obviously the only person to have read the above post from CCMB, basically its says that the heritage and ckub is about the fans not the colours, badge or anything else. I concur with that.

Some of the people getting the most wound up about this dont even go to games so what its got to do with them in the first place I dont know.
so presumably if all the fans upped and decided to support another club, you'd go too, right? Seeing as it has nothing to do with the club.

You don't think this is, err, perhaps a little naive on your part?

It depends on how you view the owners. I strongly suspect that a profit making sustainable business is what the Malaysians want to build. Thats what they build in their day to day roles.

If it was a british owner then I know that they'd be taking us up simply so they could fuck as much short term money out of us that they could.

One of those super super rich owners then we'd be a mere plaything they pour money into.

An american owner. A long term vampire strategy.

was waiting for this last line :)

obviously no one on here is as qualified as you to speak on the bluebirds, i mean fire dragons, how many games does one have to go to to have a say?
and even if some of us are shite and don't go to matches are we then not allowed to comment and discuss and relay the effect we see it having on friends, family, colleagues, the city and on here?

also just because posters disagree with that CCMB post it doesn't mean they didn't read it does it now

you are entitled to your opinion and also to post that drivel spin up there^^
can you do us a handy list of who can comment and how much please?

It depends on how you view the owners. I strongly suspect that a profit making sustainable business is what the Malaysians want to build. Thats what they build in their day to day roles.

If it was a british owner then I know that they'd be taking us up simply so they could fuck as much short term money out of us that they could.

One of those super super rich owners then we'd be a mere plaything they pour money into.

An american owner. A long term vampire strategy.
There's no such thing as a football club that is a profit-making sustainable business. The options are basically those three, or somebody running it as a not-for-profit community asset (either an individual owner with an emotional investment in the club, or some form of fan ownership)

Back
Top Bottom