Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

i know this is a bit of a thick question riiight...

if you don't have a doctor and when registering for a new can't see them for 48hrs
is the heath A&E the only other place you can go?
thanks

This is an interesting initiative for pissheads, although I imagine it'll be worn as a badge of honour by some.
Drunk students found stumbling in Cardiff to be tagged with wristbands

Drunken students found stumbling through Cardiff are to be tagged with wristbands to act as a morning reminder of their dangerous binge-drinking.

The wristbands will serve as a warning for hungover students, unable to remember the night before, of how vulnerable they became because of excess alcohol.

Each bright yellow wristband bears the alarming question “how did you get home?” alongside the South Wales Police badge and a QR code to scan for further information.

About 1,000 wristbands have been created as part of the pioneering initiative aimed at tackling student binge-drinking in the Welsh capital.

They will be strapped to highly intoxicated individuals picked up by a free Cardiff University Students’ Union minibus service which travels through the city’s student areas.
The scheme comes as police, council and health chiefs continue in their attempts to rid Cardiff of its reputation as Britain’s booze capital.

In January, Cardiff University’s Professor Jonathan Shepherd, director of the Violence & Society Research Group at School of Dentistry, warned the city was facing a binge-drinking “epidemic”.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2013/03/04/drunk-students-found-stumbling-in-cardiff-to-be-tagged-with-wristbands

i know this is a bit of a thick question riiight...

if you don't have a doctor and when registering for a new can't see them for 48hrs
is the heath A&E the only other place you can go?
thanks

I would assume so mate.

i was told that but couldn't make any sense of it and when i rang the number given they gave me another number which didn't make sense
went to A&E yesterday afternoon and it was properly rammed with people sitting on the floor etc
and an old lady on a bed queuing to get in :(

plus as i don't have a gp i can't ring them to see what out of hours provision they do

thanks tho!

cheers
tried that number yesterday

i'm not in great need or loads of pain or anything just need to be seen and checked (and sicknoted) before going back to work

this article is winding me right up :mad:
Cardiff police build bridges in Butetown community operation

Speaking to WalesOnline, he said: “The reality is that culturally it is quite difficult for the police and this community to engage and a lot of that is historical as well as cultural.

next time it happens love, give us a ring :facepalm:
Another woman, who wears a floor-length hijab and speaks English as a second language, revealed she had been chased by a man as she walked to the city centre a month ago.
She said he racially taunted her, telling her she could not call the emergency services for help because she did not know the number.
During Wednesday's operation, an officer told her: “You know the number – it’s 999 – next time always give us a call.”
and this, our business is robberies and burglary, wtf? seriously :confused:
Briefing officers and volunteers at Cardiff Bay police station before they took to nearby streets, he said: “As a police service we know about the burglaries and robberies – that’s our business.
“What we don’t know are the issues that affect the community. Today, we want to find out those issues..“Some of the residents you are going to call on today may never have seen a police officer, or their last experience may have been a bad one – we need to leave them today with a good memory of our visit.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2013/03/14/cardiff-police-build-bridges-in-butetown-community-operation-91466-32983853/#ixzz2No7f04UL

come on Cardiff posters!! post on here

some stuff about the 1gb broadband coming, and 4g
http://www.digitalcardiff.net/content.asp
100% in urban areas apparently
  • 100 per cent availability of ultrafast 1Gb broadband connections for business
  • 100mbs broadband availability for residents
  • ‘Free' wireless provision in the City including a Cardiff Information Portal - with links to tourism, local services, where to stay, where to get help etc.
  • Mobile phone access will also be improved with 4G access throughout the city.
  • Grants to residents and businesses to support take-up of the new services

The old tram sheds are up for sale. They'd be ace for a community space.

_66506999_depot-1.jpg

Former tram sheds which used to service Cardiff's electric trams for the first half of the 20th Century have been put up for sale by the council.

The Grangetown site has been a vehicle service centre for the council, but they are moving to a new facility.

In 2003 plans to convert the sheds to an art gallery were put forward as part of Cardiff's city of culture bid.

A local councillor said they were now considering all options including securing funding for community use.

The redbrick sheds in Pendyris Street date back to the late 1880s and were given Grade II listed status.

Grangetown councillor Ashley Govier said he would like to see something similar to the Chapter arts centre in the neighbouring suburb of Canton.

He also said it was not certain the depot would be sold, adding: "We have got to test the market to see what the interest is but certainly we're also working on other alternatives for the use.

"It's got to be best value for the taxpayer, not just in monetary terms.

"I certainly think it needs to be a bit more community benefit coming from that site.

"I'd like to see a centre like Chapter there [and] we're working on a university link-up. It's a listed building so there's limited use of the site."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-21860169

Pontcanna makes The Times' barf-tastic '30 cool places list':
Pontcanna Cardiff why is it so great? With its leafy streets and grand architecture, Pontcanna is home to the city's chattering classes. Cathedral Road and Pontcanna Street are lined with cafés and restaurants, where well-connected Welsh-speakers are known as "crachach".
who lives here? Journalists, arts supremos, TV execs, rugby players and politicians.
house prices: One of the most expensive parts of Cardiff. Handsome Victorian semis cost £500,000 to £800,000, while terraced cottages go for about £250,000

oh blydi ell!
only a few streets and pontcanna doesn't actually exist, it is the riverside ward

Wales's first billionaire suggests renaming Swansea and the Valleys as 'Cardiff.'
Sir Terry Matthews, who admitted his idea would be controversial, said: "If I was king, I would go [from] Swansea to Newport and I'd circle it and include the valleys. I'd say that's Cardiff."

But perhaps predictably, the proposal has met with a muted response in Swansea.

Tony McGetrick, chair of Tourism Swansea Bay, said: "It is an interesting philosophy, and I can see the benefit for Newport, as the area suits the Cardiff model more.

"It still has quite an industrial background there, and it is only 15 miles from Cardiff.
And we thought Vincent Tan was bad.

will have to get down there. I normally wait til after easter as they're cheaper. When we by the cheepo eggs in the weeks leading up to easter for the kids, we normally have eat them all before the time comes. One year we done 30 and had none left for the kids come the day!

They're looking into running Cardiff - Penarth bus services across the barrage.

Forget being stuck in traffic snarl-ups during rush hour – a proposed new bus route could offer some of the most spectacular views in South Wales.

A study has been launched into whether travel times could be slashed between Cardiff city centre and Penarth – by operating a bus service across the Cardiff Bay barrage.

The South East Wales Transport Alliance (SEWTA), an alliance of local councils, is carrying out the £15,000 feasibility study, which will report back in the summer.

The bus could potentially operate from Cardiff central station into the Bay, before passing the Porth Teigr development and Associated British Ports (ABP) docks.

On crossing the barrage, it is envisaged the bus could pass Penarth marina and continue into the town centre. However, the route has yet to be defined.

Cardiff’s transport boss said he was “very keen” on the idea and he hoped the barrage bus could ease the heavy traffic congestion between the Bay and Penarth.

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.u...-cardiff-to-penarth-bus-route-across-barrage/

Back
Top Bottom