Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Can you get Freeview on a Smart TV?

toblerone3

Grrrrr
Have just bought a new Smart TV (they all are these days apparently) but can't work out how to get Freeview on it. Do we have to set up an App for every single frigging channel. iPlayer, Four Player, ITV Plus etc. What happened to the simplicity of Freeview.

Do I need to get an aerial (sounds a bit retro)
Do I need (as some have suggested) need to spend £400-£500 on a set top box?

Is it just a new world of "curated" TV that I need to get used to??

I can't answer any of your questions but have some of my own.

Why can't you plug in a coax do a retune and get freeview that way? You might still need an aerial of course.

Set top boxes here are as little as €20, is there any reason to need to spend such a large amount more? What's the advantage?

Have just bought a new Smart TV (they all are these days apparently) but can't work out how to get Freeview on it. Do we have to set up an App for every single frigging channel. iPlayer, Four Player, ITV Plus etc. What happened to the simplicity of Freeview.

Do I need to get an aerial (sounds a bit retro)
Do I need (as some have suggested) need to spend £400-£500 on a set top box?

Is it just a new world of "curated" TV that I need to get used to??

It should have a Digital option on the input menu if it has Freeview. And aerial inputs on the back.

What's the make and model number?

:confused:

i may have misunderstood this, but if you're wanting freeview channels, you just set it up the same as you would any other (non smart) digital telly.

the freeview channels need to come through an aerial same as they would with any other digital telly. (no idea where you are - if you're high enough up in bits of south london then you might manage with an indoor aerial without needing a loft / roof aerial.)

it's usually something like install - channel scan or 'first time install'

the smart bit is on demand / players etc not live telly and comes through the interwebs.

one sort of set top box was to go between the aerial and a non digital telly. the other sort is involved with cable or satellite which is all a bit of a closed book to me.

ETA - I got a smart telly because it was only a few quid more. the ability to pause live progs (on some channels at least) or restart them if i'm late getting to them is great...

Back
Top Bottom