Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can squirrels get addicted to crack?

An acquaintance of mine got mugged by squirrels in Springfield Park in Hackney.

I was in Victoria Park on Boxing Day. A gang of around 6 squirrels began to follow me quite menacingly. I was bending down to offer them peanuts and one of the little b*stards took hold of my thumb in his mouth and bit deeply into it, drawing blood. This has never happened to me before with squirrels, occasionally they have given my fingers an accidental nip - but this was something else.

Was it the extreme cold that sent them crazy, or is it a Hackney squirrel thing? :confused:

Just to clarify: it has happened to me elsewhere than Hackney, but in those cases I think those squirrels just mistook my fingers for peanuts, and when they realised the mistake, let go.

This episode in Victoria Park was different, however - it seemed to be making a serious attempt to tear off the tasty 'nut' (i.e. my thumb) and take it away.

It might have been extra stupid or extra hungry. Tree rats (aka grey squirrels) are omnivores and if its been subsisting on leftovers it'll probably have a bit of a taste for flesh.

I hope you've done more than just put a bit of antiseptic on, you don't know who (or what) else that tree rat has recently bitten.

I was bitten by a squirrel in my garden, it was sitting on my lap eating nuts but went off on one when I tried to pick it up. By it's tail. Mental fucker bit right through my skin and it bled like hell.

I was bitten by a squirrel in my garden, it was sitting on my lap eating nuts but went off on one when I tried to pick it up. By it's tail. Mental fucker bit right through my skin and it bled like hell.

IMHO it serves you bloody well right. Never pick a critter of the rodent persuasion up by the tail, it hurts them, can strip the skin off the tail, and leaves them able to bite you. Scoop the body & limbs (head outside of your cupped hands) up gently but firmly and you've got no need to grip the tail at all.

It might have been extra stupid or extra hungry. Tree rats (aka grey squirrels) are omnivores and if its been subsisting on leftovers it'll probably have a bit of a taste for flesh.

I hope you've done more than just put a bit of antiseptic on, you don't know who (or what) else that tree rat has recently bitten.

As luck would have it, I had just watched that vampire film 'Let The Right One In' the previous night - so was quite alarmed at the thought of undergoing a...transformation.
Be useful to have those acrobatic skills though.

Picking them up by the tail does seem like asking for trouble to be honest. Even on occasions when I have attempted to stroke their backs, they have gone crazy.

IMHO it serves you bloody well right. Never pick a critter of the rodent persuasion up by the tail, it hurts them, can strip the skin off the tail, and leaves them able to bite you. Scoop the body & limbs (head outside of your cupped hands) up gently but firmly and you've got no need to grip the tail at all.
But it looked all nice and fluffy and was happy eating nuts so I thought it wouldn't notice.

Serves you right. I hope someone picks you up by your ears and shakes you :mad::mad:

Anyway, what type of nuts were they? :D

But it looked all nice and fluffy and was happy eating nuts so I thought it wouldn't notice.

This also looks all nice and fluffy. Go on, I dare you

lionmane010203_598.jpg

They've got a print out of the Guardian story in a fucking frame on the bar in that place that used to be Gold Coast, Acre Lane. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom