Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can squirrels get addicted to crack?

Bob

Rusesabagina for a nobel
Now in many ways this thread should be in Suburban, or maybe drugs. But you'll see why it really belongs in Brixton.

Yesterday I was chatting to one of my neighbours and he pointed out that the reason I had found his screwdriver in our front garden (in central Brixton) was that crack users / dealers sometimes hide bits of their stash in our garden.

An hour earlier I'd seen a squirrel wandering round the garden, digging in the flowerbeds.

Now I assume that if the squirrel dug up a rock of crack and nibbled it it wouldn't get any effect. But what if it did? And do I face the prospect of dreaded crack squirrels? Turf wars (flower bed wars) between dealers & squirrels? :confused:

Squirrels have nasty bites so I'm now worried by being done over by a twitchy squirrel.

I still don't understand why your neighbour's screwdriver was in your garden? :confused:

I don't know about squirrels, but I reckon our cats have become addicted to kitty crack (catnip). We got home last night to find they'd found the bag, and ripped it open so it was all over the kitchen. :D

Ms T said:
I still don't understand why your neighbour's screwdriver was in your garden? :confused:

They'd been using it to either mark where they put something or to dig the crack up with. My neighbour's front garden is fairly full of building rubbish - so they'd probably nicked it from there.

squirrels2.jpg

i gooogled it :D

Bob said:
Now in many ways this thread should be in Suburban, or maybe drugs. But you'll see why it really belongs in Brixton.

Yesterday I was chatting to one of my neighbours and he pointed out that the reason I had found his screwdriver in our front garden (in central Brixton) was that crack users / dealers sometimes hide bits of their stash in our garden.

An hour earlier I'd seen a squirrel wandering round the garden, digging in the flowerbeds.

Now I assume that if the squirrel dug up a rock of crack and nibbled it it wouldn't get any effect. But what if it did? And do I face the prospect of dreaded crack squirrels? Turf wars (flower bed wars) between dealers & squirrels? :confused:

Squirrels have nasty bites so I'm now worried by being done over by a twitchy squirrel.

Wow :eek:

Have you though of writing and suggesting this as a vital research subject to New Scientist?

Ms T said:
I don't know about squirrels, but I reckon our cats have become addicted to kitty crack (catnip).

It's true. That happened to Cartman's cat in South Park...she invited all the cats round and they were chopping up lines of catnip and snorting it.

Bob said:
Now I assume that if the squirrel dug up a rock of crack and nibbled it it wouldn't get any effect. But what if it did? And do I face the prospect of dreaded crack squirrels?

Medical researchers have developed self-medicating cocaine-binging rats*, so I supect a squirrel could become a crackhead.

But, who cares about the science - just issue a press release to the South London Press, saying how concerned you are about the health of the squirrels. Crime and furry animals - it's bound to make the front page of The SLP. :)

When the RSPCA get wind of a story that there are crack-crazed squirrels at risk of harm in the area, their vigilante forces will zoom into action.

The local crack dealers will have to face the daunting prospect of hundreds of middle-aged Home Counties animal-lovers maintaining a twenty-four hour vigil to protect innocent squirrels from the crack menace.

* Source: I kid you not - Repeated self-administered cocaine "binges" in rats: effects on cocaine intake and withdrawal Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001 Mar;154(3):292-300.

lang rabbie said:
Medical researchers have developed self-medicating cocaine-binging rats*, so I supect a squirrel could become a crackhead.

But, who cares about the science - just issue a press release to the South London Press, saying how concerned you are about the health of the squirrels. Crime and furry animals - it's bound to make the front page of The SLP. :)

When the RSPCA get wind of a story that there are crack-crazed squirrels at risk of harm in the area, their vigilante forces will zoom into action.

The local crack dealers will have to face the daunting prospect of hundreds of middle-aged Home Counties animal-lovers maintaining a twenty-four hour vigil to protect innocent squirrels from the crack menace.

:cool: They can clear up my front yard while they're there.

I did read a history of cocaine recently. Apparently they've given it to chimps too - who have to hit a bar to get their dose of cocaine. The researchers then increase the number of times the chimp has to hit a bar til the point that the chimp gives up. With most drugs they find a number of hits where the chimp can't be bothered anymore. With cocaine the chimps keep on hitting the bar until the researchers stop the experiment - in one case after the chimp has twacked it 13,000 times. :eek:

Ms T said:
I don't know about squirrels, but I reckon our cats have become addicted to kitty crack (catnip). We got home last night to find they'd found the bag, and ripped it open so it was all over the kitchen. :D

Bob said:
:cool: They can clear up my front yard while they're there.

I did read a history of cocaine recently. Apparently they've given it to chimps too - who have to hit a bar to get their dose of cocaine. The researchers then increase the number of times the chimp has to hit a bar til the point that the chimp gives up. With most drugs they find a number of hits where the chimp can't be bothered anymore. With cocaine the chimps keep on hitting the bar until the researchers stop the experiment - in one case after the chimp has twacked it 13,000 times. :eek:

:mad: where are the animal rights protesters when we need them?

Bob said:

Maybe a more important question is though...

Could we somehow wean the Brixton crack-heads onto nuts? That would be an interesting experiment. :D

nipsla said:
Maybe a more important question is though...

Could we somehow wean the Brixton crack-heads onto nuts? That would be an interesting experiment. :D
It just wouldn't sound right at the copshop:

"Why did you rob that man of his wallet and mobile phone?"

"I wanted to buy nuts,officer."

"Don't bullshit me, son."

"No, seriously. I needed to sell the phone to buy nuts. I'm an addict."

lang rabbie said:

This is probably the best idea I've heard in ages!!! :D

Tears of laughter rolling down my face :D

I'm going to pm pogofish a link to this thread, dunno if he'll be able to advise one way or t'other.

Brilliant thread! :D :D

There are studies into cocaine/other drugs & the effects on rodents but not specifically squirrells. The picture it conjures is great - squirrells defend their nut stashes with great courage & determination so I'd imagine that a crack-crazed tree-rat would be a formidable opponent indeed.

Some of the dealers might even try training them to defend their supplies!

Bringing it to the attention of the animal agencies would probably be the best thing - If only to sit back & watch the moral panic get into high-gear! :)

wasn't there a spate of squirrel attacks on people...

...in London parks last year or the year before?
I could have sworn I read about it somewhere - folks just toddling along the pathways and being landed on & clawed up by irate squirrels. Or was it just an urban legend?

so glad someone else linked to scarysquirrel.com.... anyway, I too had heard urban legends of squirrels licking out abandoned crack vials and going all antisocial. however it may be bullshit - (sorry for ingcredibly iggnorant drug question but ..) surely you wouldn't be getting any high off EATING crack or crack residue anyway, even if you was a squirrel? don't you have to heat it first to benefit from its wonderful psychological effects?

A friend of mine in East London had been stashing weed in a pot plant in her back garden. Next morning half of it was missing (it had been in two bags). She was very puzzled and a bit paranoid. A few days later getting up v early in the morning she spotted a fox digging around in the same pot plant. Needless to say she moved her stash although the fox kept making repeat visits for a couple of weeks

sadly an urban legend...

about the crack-crazed squirrels but they certainly do attack and bite people every so often. They don't have the excuse of drug dependency tho'. but I like the sound of this rodent bandit:

POLICE OFFICER SEES RED AFTER ATTACK BY RAMPAGING GREY SQUIRREL.
From The Northern Echo - 27/10/2003 (288 words)
POLICE have launched a squirrel hunt after an officer was attacked by a furry felon. PC Graeme Whitfield was working on the crime desk at Consett police station, County Durham, when the squirrel burst in and bit him. Someone had left the door of the station open and the grey squirrel saw its chance, ran up the outside of the officer's trouser leg and sunk its teeth into his hand.

Now police have launched an inquiry and have issued "Wanted" posters in an effort to catch the squirrel. PC Whitfield, 31, said: "I was working when I heard a commotion in the corridor. I looked out and saw a couple of officers who said a squirrel had run into the building. Before I knew it the squirrel had run at me, up my trouser leg and we had a scuffle. It bit my hand, drawing blood, and climbed up the blinds before making off again.

"It was pretty painful but luckily I had a tetanus jab only a couple of weeks before, so I didn't need another one. The word went around the station like wildfire and the lads in the Intelligence Unit soon made Wanted posters with a picture of a squirrel on it. No arrests have been made but we are on the look-out."

It is believed the animal was foraging for food when it entered the building.
Officers at the station are asking colleagues to be vigilant and to pass on any information to divisional wildlife liaison officer, Acting Inspector Eddie Bell.
He said: "It is unusual for a squirrel to attack someone and I think PC Whitfield has been extremely unlucky.We don't want the public thinking they have to be on their guard due to an outbreak of sudden squirrel violence. This was a one-off. PC Whitfield was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

I don't know about squirrels, but I reckon our cats have become driver addicted to kitty crack (catnip). :) We got home last night to find they'd found the bag, and ripped it open so it was all over the kitchen. :D[/QUOTE]

ask fat freddy...mrs T , ask fatfreddy....ps don't forget to check yer headphones... ;)

this reminds me of Goa'n sussages, famous throughout India, its all the good eating (tourist poo) unfortunately every year when it gets too hot and the season ends loads die from the sudden shoch of their Heroin supply dissapearing. :(

Back
Top Bottom