Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can anyone recommend some cool, unusual high quality bars/restaurants/cafes in Bristol?

As long as you don't go to Brewdog then it's all good. That's pretty much the only bar in Bristol that is inherently full of absolute cunts. All the other ones are good for some things, crap for others. Fuck I hate Brewdog.

The Cottage is a pretty mediocre pub but in the right place iyswim... Nice to wander to have a pint and wander back looking at the boats.

And the one on Jacob Wells Road... The ship? Or the anchor? Or something wet related... Anyway they are very friendly and lovely with kids.

And the one on Jacob Wells Road... The ship? Or the anchor? Or something wet related... Anyway they are very friendly and lovely with kids.
Hope & Anchor - proper pub, great food, gets very busy on Sunday lunchtimes. Nice garden

ETA: THREE veggie options for Sunday roast, which obviously makes it outstanding just for that :cool:

Anything with Ferguson's name on the deeds will do me tbh

I went to the Grain Barge with my sister and brother in law on my birthday last year. We obviously looked very uncool as they ignored us at the bar for about 15 minutes whilst they served everybody else around us. In the end I lost my rag and had to shout at the girl behind the bar that actually I WAS NEXT! :mad:

I think he has sold it now but I think he owned it at the time.

I also had a row with the Mud Dock Café on Facebook about their support for him during the mayoral election and I have not been there since (although I might relent as I do like sitting out on their balcony in the summer).

Just remembered last time I was down I had a decent roast in the Lazy Dog on (I think) Ashley Downs Road.

Won't be eating for a while yet after last night though. Need sleep

The Greenbank does a good roast too, I'm told. I haven't checked it out yet though.

I thought the food in No. 51 was quite good.... We did go on an empty Sunday though
The Stokes Croft one? Yeah it's OK from memory.
Cadbury roasts are excellent. The garden is good fun for people watching on a Sunday - spot who hasn't been to bed yet ;)

I like the weird pub just off queens square. The one with lit up square pumps full of beer you've never heard of and booths to sit in. Its cheap too.

Their pizzas look nice. Tried to go there a few times as it's only a minute's walk from work but they don't seem to open at lunchtimes.

edit - no 51 I mean

The Greenbank does a good roast too, I'm told. I haven't checked it out yet though.
Full of hipsters!!! Hipster dads with big beards rocking their babies....lots of kids early evening....hipsters that have decided to settle down, all in Greenbank.....Saw a waitrose delivery van on my street the other day!! Never seen that before, sure sign of gentrification that's for sure!!

Full of hipsters!!! Hipster dads with big beards rocking their babies....lots of kids early evening....hipsters that have decided to settle down, all in Greenbank.....Saw a waitrose delivery van on my street the other day!! Never seen that before, sure sign of gentrification that's for sure!!
Yeah, Greenbank/Redfield is on the slide for sure :(

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. There's a trendy café opened up in the High Street as well, I noticed.

The Old Duke is too small and beer too pricey. King Bill is my hungover Sunday, few quiet pints and read in a booth pub.

Hole in the Wall, good food, though not always enough staff on so slow.

I quite like the Bank, the one behind the Lanes.

And the Crown.
Mother's Ruin's alright for an early one before the students get there. Well the bar staff are sound and usually playing something interesting on their Ipod.

And another vote for the Cadbury.

The Boy's PTA holds meetings in the tobacco factory, and my antenatal group used to meet up with their babies and get pissed there of an afternoon :oops:

The Old Bookshop however is a bit further up North Street and is often mentioned by the childless people I know who actually have lives as a good venue. I've only been into it during the day and was served terrible coffee and told they had no cake!

Coffee, cake? What is the meaning of this. :mad: ;)

I think they do Thai food in their. Or maybe Spannish... Something that smells nice anyway. I prefer the Hare though.

The Old Duke is too small and beer too pricey. King Bill is my hungover Sunday, few quiet pints and read in a booth pub.

Hole in the Wall, good food, though not always enough staff on so slow.

I quite like the Bank, the one behind the Lanes.

And the Crown.
Mother's Ruin's alright for an early one before the students get there. Well the bar staff are sound and usually playing something interesting on their Ipod.

And another vote for the Cadbury.
Mother's Ruin does some good bands n that as well. I like the MR :)

Mother's Ruin does some good bands n that as well. I like the MR :)

Yeah. It's the same outfit that run the Stag and Hounds and another place. Sugar Loaves?... I like the Stag and Hounds too. Interesting old building. Took part in the Big Red communist pub quiz (my mate's a commy,) in the old court room.

Yeah. It's the same outfit that run the Stag and Hounds and another place. Sugar Loaves?... I like the Stag and Hounds too. Interesting old building. Took part in the Big Red communist pub quiz (my mate's a commy,) in the old court room.
Stag's been through a few guises over the years, not been in lately. It does seem to be attracting more of a gig crowd these days (being next to the Exchange can't hurt either).

Went to see Joe Buck Yourself at The Stag and Hounds a few weeks back. Great gig and a really interesting conversation with him about the state of the US beforehand.

Also went to their beer festival a week or so before that. Very impressive. It's recently changed hands and much more emphasis on good beer and interesting live music, as opposed to emphasis on being a bit shit all round.

Pic of Joe Buck at The Stag:

http://instagram.com/p/ng16L2vOn9/

Based on nearly a year in town (mostly central & north), there's been a huge amount of change even in that time.

Bars: don't honestly mind Brewdog, just wish they'd stop trying to sell me shares/pretending to be punks. Really embarrassing. Small bar is probably the best craft beer place down that end of town, with the most welcoming atmosphere. Beer Emporium is a cellar bar next door, Famous Royal Naval Volunteer next to that. All are full of beardy hipster types, but the latter two tend to get more post-work office parties if that floats your boat. New Xmas Steps place looks good but needs time to settle.
Full marks to the new Urban Standard for both food & drink. Friendly staff, more of a mixed crowd than I expected. Ditto Bravas in Cotham. As a chef I'd happily go there just to have a beer & watch their operation in full flow. Haven't been to their cafe Bakers & Co yet but intend to.

Food: mid-range I'd go Clifton Sausage (dependable), the new Runcible Spoon (really friendly, great food), the aforementioned Urban Standard & Bravas. Pricier maybe the Ox, if you like steak. Lovely ornate cellar.

While we're on the subject, if anyone has any background/info about the Be In bar on Whiteladies Rd or anything related, feel free to share. I seem to have agreed to rent the kitchen there. From friday ffs. :facepalm: :D

Back
Top Bottom