Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Camino way

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
Researching Camino walks in Portugal for April or May next year. Anyone done this and have recommendations for routes and support companies? 5 of us, all mid/late 50s mixed fitness levels and definitely want a support company so we don’t have to carry everything

When you say Camino walks do you want to do the Camino de Santiago, or one of the ones to Fatima? Or something else?

When you say Camino walks do you want to do the Camino de Santiago, or one of the ones to Fatima? Or something else?
I was wondering this, I want to do the Camino de Santiago. A friend did it (the main route) two years ago and he found that it was really well set up in terms of the accommodation and resturants etc along the way, his view was that meant you wouldn't need to be supported as the infrastructure means you could get by just with a decent day sack.

I guess the the 'feeder' and other ancillary less used routes might be different.

Researching Camino walks in Portugal for April or May next year. Anyone done this and have recommendations for routes and support companies? 5 of us, all mid/late 50s mixed fitness levels and definitely want a support company so we don’t have to carry everything

I did this a few years ago.

Going out for most of the day, but I'll try to post more later...

I was wondering this, I want to do the Camino de Santiago. A friend did it (the main route) two years ago and he found that it was really well set up in terms of the accommodation and resturants etc along the way, his view was that meant you wouldn't need to be supported as the infrastructure means you could get by just with a decent day sack.

I guess the the 'feeder' and other ancillary less used routes might be different.
The northern route goes through the town in which I used to live. It's very scenic and the whole route is well geared for pilgrims.

The route from Porto is shorter, has magnificent scenery but I'm not sure how well served it is for hostels etc

Going south from Porto I'm told the various Camino to Fatima is well served. But I've not been along that one.

Porto to Santiago is great, done that a few years ago and had a great time. There's a coastal route or an interior one, I did the later (but I'd already been to lovely Viana do Castelo previously).

I wouldnt recommend walking all the way from Lisbon unless you are an experienced long distance walker. Nor walking in the opposite direction... always walk towards Santiago. Do it from Porto and if youre still feeling up for it do one of the Spanish ones from the Pyrenees another time, they're longer and really amazing routes to explore Spain. I'd love to do one the whole way...

Dont bother with a support company, too much logistical planning, just get a good small bag and pack super light and get a pair of hiking poles. I highly recommend against any kind of fixed planning.. with accomm or anything else. The flexibility is the best bit!

I think Porto to Santiago is the most favoured one. Probably coastal.

If we are doing an 8-10 day walk we definitely don’t want to be carrying all our stuff whilst walking!

The people you meet on the Camino can be inspiring too. The first time I did it from Porto I recall seeing one young lad about 8 or 9 carrying his pack the same as the adults. The eldest I met was in her 80s.
To be honest I tried to avoid the tourist types, the ones with all the newest gear and no idea. Blisters after the first night because their top of the range hiking boots had not been broken in. My normal sneaks worked fine.
I would wake and leave early every morning , to avoid the rush and make sure I was one of the first arrivals at the next Alberque.
I prefer to have my bag with me, might want a change of clothes if it rains or if you fancy a swim.

If we are doing an 8-10 day walk we definitely don’t want to be carrying all our stuff whilst walking!
I understand what you mean, the downside is that you are forced to walk to the next way point regardless of anything happening along the way. Sometimes this can make the walk seem like a forced march. The balance needs to be found.

The second time I was there walking from Lisbon, in July, barely any other pilgrims. Entire dormitories to myself.
And it was hot and lonely. Getting buzzed by firefighting planes up in the hills near Tomar.
Good if you like solitude.

There's lots of useful stuff here;

(I'm thinking about starting on the French one next year -- will need to do it in a few goes as it takes a month-ish.)

Yeah it's definitely worth doing it's a lovely walk! Great wine along the way. Both the North of Portugal and Galicia are really beautiful and generally amazing places.

I would say it's more a 10-12 day walk unless youre quite fast btw. With poles and a small pack you wont need to worry about weight, honestly. Loads of places to stop and rest and refresh too, you'll rarely be walking for hours non stop.

Yeah it's definitely worth doing it's a lovely walk! Great wine along the way. Both the North of Portugal and Galicia are really beautiful and generally amazing places.

I would say it's more a 10-12 day walk unless youre quite fast btw. With poles and a small pack you wont need to worry about weight, honestly. Loads of places to stop and rest and refresh too, you'll rarely be walking for hours non stop.
Friends of mine did Santo Tirso to Santiago in four days, they said it had to be long days of solid walking. They camped out, and walked from daybreak to sundown. I can’t see the attraction of that. I think that, as you say, it needs to be over at least a week to get anything from the experience.

Took me 8 or 9 days or so as a sprightly 27 year old with trekking poles doing 25-30km a day. I would slow the pace and take it easy. I didnt have much time so that wasnt an option. Also it was cool arriving at the end of Semana Santa on the Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom