Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amsterdam as a stopover on the way to the UK

Let me guess, you're on the 5.55am KLM IST-LHR, right?

I do that flight all the time, specifically for the Amsterdam layover. You can get one for as little as 4 hours or as long as 24, depending on the day of the week. You'll be in the town center in less than an hour after touchdown, and there's tons to do right there.

Have fun!

I had a 6 hour stopover in Amsterdam on the way to China once. Very easy getting into town and back to the airport and not too far either. I stupidly bought some hash, planning to smuggle it, smoked some, got para, threw some away and ate the rest. Ended up turning up in China to be met by my new employer totally out of my box. :s

I had a 6 hour stopover in Amsterdam on the way to China once. Very easy getting into town and back to the airport and not too far either. I stupidly bought some hash, planning to smuggle it, smoked some, got para, threw some away and ate the rest. Ended up turning up in China to be met by my new employer totally out of my box. :s

You were going to smuggle weed into China??? :eek:

You were going to smuggle weed into China??? :eek:
Yeah, white people don't get searched going into China IME. They wouldn't have known what it was if they'd found it. Drug smuggling in China is a problem but it's all land routes from the west and south west, not foreign teachers landing at BJ with quarters of hash up their arses. Didn't stop me getting para and deciding against it though.

You're coming soon I think miss direct?

If you want to see a particular museum make sure you book your ticket online as the queues can be horrific for tickets for the big name museums.

My favorite museum is the Amstelkring museum, know as "Jesus in the attic". It's really cool to see how people lived in Amsterdam centuries ago and it's not so well known so it will be quieter.

Also have a walk along the Spiegelgracht where there are loads of galleries and antique shops that are full of top class artists and items. You can go in and browse around for free and again without too many other tourists. It's a beautiful street in itself too.

Finally stay away from museums like the cannabis, sex, torture etc. they are just boring expensive tourist traps that tell you nothing.

phil, you're wrong. I don't get early morning flights out of Istanbul because there's no way of getting to the airport other than taxi at that time. I'm flying Turkish Airlines from Sabiah Gocken in the early afternoon. Much more civilised.

I'm now thinking of just flying from Amsterdam to Stansted as there are flights for about £25, seems more sensible than the whole ferry deal.

phil, you're wrong. I don't get early morning flights out of Istanbul because there's no way of getting to the airport other than taxi at that time. I'm flying Turkish Airlines from Sabiah Gocken in the early afternoon. Much more civilised.

That's a bugger to get to though--takes almost two hours from Bostanci on a crappy little train. The taxi to Ataturk is 60TL from Kadikoy, I just see at as the price of admission to Amsterdam.

We're here. Having a great time. Have an empty day ahead of us so will try out some of the tips on this thread. Ate wonderful Indonesian food last night.

I would recomend the Totalitarian art gallery on the Singel for those of that bent - just down from Anne Franks gaff( prebook if you want to go long to AF house- queues can be an hour long)

Cheers , I've got my dad's funeral tomorrow then off on Friday to get away from everything but I don't just want to go and get hammered so any other culture ideas would be aces :)

The new law was rule as against human rights i think.

I can't see how it would be against human rights but the coffee shops took the government to court last year protesting it was illegal to stop them selling to tourists which was what the new law was all about. I think they won compensation for lost business but lost their case for being allowed to keep selling to tourists.

It's all moot now anyway because the law is shelved since about last October since the new left wing government came to power. Individual cities are still allowed to enforce the law if they wish to.

Amsterdam never enforced it at all so nothing ever changed here.

I can't see how it would be against human rights but the coffee shops took the government to court last year protesting it was illegal to stop them selling to tourists which was what the new law was all about. I think they won compensation for lost business but lost their case for being allowed to keep selling to tourists.

It's all moot now anyway because the law is shelved since about last October since the new left wing government came to power. Individual cities are still allowed to enforce the law if they wish to.

Amsterdam never enforced it at all so nothing ever changed here.

Ah right...... I haven't really kept up to do

Im considering going to do a masters in holland, I hope it wont be a problem if I want to blaze.

It would appear you are right , as I sit here chuffing on liberty haze, very nice, although after a volcano yesterday I did end up buying loads of cheese ( and I mean the edible stuff ) tried it again this morning and realised I don't actually like the breed I got :hmm: :D

Back
Top Bottom