Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breaking a transit flight - can I retrieve my luggage mid-way?

We had a thread about this last year with trains. About the "buying a cheaper ticket that goes further and getting off early" bit, anyway. Seems that the trains take it very seriously and do not like it at all.

It's counterintuitive, clearly, but there is a bizzare business justification for the rule. Can't recall it now, though.
Greed.

We had a thread about this last year with trains. About the "buying a cheaper ticket that goes further and getting off early" bit, anyway. Seems that the trains take it very seriously and do not like it at all.

It's counterintuitive, clearly, but there is a bizzare business justification for the rule. Can't recall it now, though.
I have got off planes at stop overs on a number of occasions. Or only used half of a return flight, or bought a ticket and not used it. It's never been a problem. I was aware the train companies have some bizarre rules, but most business travellers I know who fly a lot do it and have done it. It's never been a big deal. I've done it at Schipol, Ekaterinburg, Barajas and JFK. I will continue to do it, as meetings change, plans move, and if they arrested me they'd have worked through a long, long list of frequent fliers first.

I just can't get my head round the logic of this. I had no idea that when you brought a ticket you entered into some contractual agreement with the airline to travel the entire distance. Not that I ever fly anywhere, but just wtf how weird :D Why should they care if you do or don't get on the last leg ffs?!

Why should they care if you do or don't get on the last leg ffs?!

It's not that weird. The cost for the route between A and B is defined by supply, demand, competitive pressures - and the need to have a full plane, which is why you get the oddities of dynamic pricing. Many airlines have hub and spoke models, which means that A to B involves a journey through point C. Sometimes, there is greater demand elasticity for A to C than for A to B, and so the price for A to C can be set higher than for A to B. This is often because C is a "fortress hub" - like Gulf or US cities - where one carrier dominates and therefore fares to C are less competitive.

I just can't get my head round the logic of this. I had no idea that when you brought a ticket you entered into some contractual agreement with the airline to travel the entire distance. Not that I ever fly anywhere, but just wtf how weird :D Why should they care if you do or don't get on the last leg ffs?!
Presumably because if they'd known you weren't going to be in that seat for the last hop they could have sold a ticket to someone else for the price of that bit of the journey. So they feel diddled out of a fare.

Except you've already paid the fare....
yeah but technically they could have sold that empty seat to someone else so feel robbed. I don't endorse the logic of it but I can see that they might feel robbed of a profit making opportunity. What if the short hop section ticket costs half as much as some bargainous one you got of the internet?

If you want to fly to Tokyo and back the most convenient option is to fly non-stop on BA, JAL or ANA. If Turkish Airlines would like your money they must offer a discount on what these direct carriers offer. However if you wanted to fly London-Tokyo-Istanbul and wanted direct flights then you would need to fly with Turkish airlines as they are the only carrier who flies direct Tokyo-Istanbul and therefore do not need to offer a discount, so could charge £1000 for this, whereas they'd charge £500 for London-Istanbul-Tokyo-Istanbul-London. So in the eyes of the airlines anyone buying the cheaper ticket with the intention of not using the last leg is setting out to rip them off.

If it's the last (return) leg of a journey you are looking to ditch (for whatever reason) then there's little they can do (equivalent to missing a flight). I guess they could refuse your future bookings but that doesn't make much business sense. I've never had a problem binning the latter legs of a journey.

If you want to fly to Tokyo and back the most convenient option is to fly non-stop on BA, JAL or ANA. If Turkish Airlines would like your money they must offer a discount on what these direct carriers offer. However if you wanted to fly London-Tokyo-Istanbul and wanted direct flights then you would need to fly with Turkish airlines as they are the only carrier who flies direct Tokyo-Istanbul and therefore do not need to offer a discount, so could charge £1000 for this, whereas they'd charge £500 for London-Istanbul-Tokyo-Istanbul-London. So in the eyes of the airlines anyone buying the cheaper ticket with the intention of not using the last leg is setting out to rip them off.
Ta. They must get a lot of people who have no idea this is even a thing mind you. It wouldn't of occurred to me.

I have got off planes at stop overs on a number of occasions. Or only used half of a return flight, or bought a ticket and not used it. It's never been a problem. I was aware the train companies have some bizarre rules, but most business travellers I know who fly a lot do it and have done it. It's never been a big deal. I've done it at Schipol, Ekaterinburg, Barajas and JFK. I will continue to do it, as meetings change, plans move, and if they arrested me they'd have worked through a long, long list of frequent fliers first.

You are better than all of us lowly people.

Ta. They must get a lot of people who have no idea this is even a thing mind you. It wouldn't of occurred to me.
It's called hidden city ticketing (or throwaway ticketing, or back to back ticketing, depending which variant you use- OP is talking about throwaway I think, when you travel part way then dump the rest of your ticket). It's prohibited in a lot of airlines fare rules, but as fare rules aren't actually laws, there isn't much they can do about it. They can take frequent flier points, cancel onward flights, even bar you from that airline, but they can't get you arrested. They do cancel all legs on a flight if you don't turn up for the first one, so you can't turn up and claim you came from Brussels or whatever- but travelling the first leg and then not the next bit is pretty common among frequent fliers. And not restricted to flexible tickets- of you have a visa/valid passport for the place you land, you are fine.

It's in the news at the moment because United are suing a kid who wrote a search engine that specifically looks for those fares. You can find it on Matrix on google if you want to. That is what was on you and yours- trashpony- not individual frequent fliers but a search engine algorithm they reckon will put them out of business. Though of course by suing they have massively raised the profile of the practice and so airlines are likely to see much more of it. Idiots.

That is what was on you and yours- trashpony- not individual frequent fliers
No I know it wasn't individual frequent fliers. It's people who are doing what the OP is trying to do - get a cheaper flight by ditching half of it. Not people like you in your last post who have fully flexible fares funded by their company. They're not cheap.

I suspect following Bahnhof Strasse's advice is probably the best thing for the OP to do.

No I know it wasn't individual frequent fliers. It's people who are doing what the OP is trying to do - get a cheaper flight by ditching half of it. Not people like you in your last post who have fully flexible fares funded by their company. They're not cheap.

I suspect following Bahnhof Strasse's advice is probably the best thing for the OP to do.
No, they aren't suing people. They sued one person because he set up a company (skiplagged) that exploited a loophole in their algorithms. Google united/orbitz court case, or skiplagged. They can't go after individuals who throw away part of their ticket because it isn't illegal.

Incidentally the court case has been thrown out, though they are appealing.

And no companies buy fully flex any more, travel budgets were the first thing to be slashed. I don't think I have flown fully flex since I was a grad trainee.

I didn't say suing I don't think. I just meant that it is actually against their rules and they may be slightly cuntish about it because it's fraud.

Things have clearly changed since I left the full time employee world 5 years ago! [emoji1]

Last edited:
So if you buy a flight and don't turn up on the day are you also (theoretically) ripping them off?

Fucked up shit is fucked up :(

That is only the case if you trust Dottie's version of the rationale, rather than that of travel agents, frequent flyers and capitalist stooges, who are saying something rather different.

That is only the case if you trust Dottie's version of the rationale, rather than that of travel agents, frequent flyers and capitalist stooges, who are saying something rather different.

our resident travel agent articulated the same logic as I did but with pesky facts

Not having specific knowledge related to a specific industry doesn't make people "thick cunts".

Giving people advice that could land them in very serious trouble is cuntish though, unless you did it unwittingly in which case you are thick cunt. So cunt or thick cunt, what are you miss direct?

Back
Top Bottom