Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cambridge Analytica Whistleblower

Bumped because this (from these proceedings) could not escape mention:

Nix quotes from the Electoral Commission that found that Cambridge Analytica did no work for Leave.EU.

Simon Hart, Conservative, quotes Nigel Oakes describing the works as the “backbone” of Leave.EU’s campaign, saying it “provided a proof of concept” for the work. Nix demurs, noting that Oakes doesn’t know Cambridge Analytica that well: “Apart from my close personal relationship with him, he could have been a stranger.”

:D

Facebook fined for data breaches in Cambridge Analytica scandal

Only £500,000 which is the maximum allowed under the Data protection Act. Apparently because of the 'timing' of the breaches they couldn't be prosecuted under newer legislation. I imagine it's small beer to a company like Facebook and though the article goes on to say that it will have damaged their reputation, that maybe only be really reflected in investment decisions. I reckon the user base will probably remain about the same.

do watch this. Channel 4 news have a leak of the immense cache of data used by the trump campaign last time around.
The actual workings of how people were profiled in the 2016 american election (by cambridge analytica in a symbiotic relationship with Facebook), the detail they had on file and the micro-targetted ads beamed out as a result- millions of people who could not be persuaded to vote in the desired way targetted instead with ads designed to make them stay at home and not vote - and how effective that seems to have been.

Last edited:
do watch this. Channel 4 news have a leak of the immense cache of data used by the trump campaign last time around.
The actual workings of how people were profiled in the 2016 american election (by cambridge analytica in a symbiotic relationship with Facebook), the detail they had on file and the micro-targetted ads beamed out as a result- millions of people who could not be persuaded to vote in the desired way targetted instead with ads designed to make them stay at home and not vote - and how effective that seems to have been.

Well CA used that same thing to shocking effect in Trinidad & Tobago - staggers me that it wasn't illegal vote rigging to hire someone to do that.

The former CEO of Cambridge Analytica is put on the naughty step. From the official press release issued by the Insolvency Service.

Alexander James Ashburner Nix (45), from Holland Park, West London, has signed a disqualification undertaking, accepted by the Secretary of State on 14 September 2020. Within the undertaking, Alexander Nix did not dispute that he caused or permitted SCL Elections Ltd or associated companies to market themselves as offering potentially unethical services to prospective clients; demonstrating a lack of commercial probity.

Effective from 5 October 2020, Alexander Nix is disqualified for seven years from acting as a director or directly or indirectly becoming involved, without the permission of the court, in the promotion, formation or management of a company.

vAPA3Uk.jpg

If you use a decent adblocker and Facebook purity you don't see any ads and only very occasionally a sugersted post. I know this doesn't stop them harvesting my data but it's a fairly large fuck you to their business model.
It isn't for the reason you already stated. They have your data. They don't give a shit.

What’s the man from CA accused of ‘offering potentially unethical services’ is a bit bloody vague.
i'm only just now understanding that there was no actual scandal with what happened in 2016, nothing went wrong it's just how facebook works?

Everybody thinks that they personally are immune from influence, though, being free and independent agents that decide everything from scratch in context-free, rational logic. It’s only everybody else that needs protection from propaganda.
i am immune for campaign videos from mainstream political parties.

the seeming proven fact a number of people are just a few videos away from voting differently is pretty depressing...then again "floating voters" are a strange bunch too.

my instinct isnt that people should delete facebook to protect themselves/be protected from cleverly targetted political videos though.

It does show we are in an era of wild West political education/awareness.... There's an opportunity for the left here, however for now big money wins out once again.

What’s the man from CA accused of ‘offering potentially unethical services’ is a bit bloody vague.
i'm only just now understanding that there was no actual scandal with what happened in 2016, nothing went wrong it's just how facebook works?
One book I looked at on this topic made the case focusing on CA was a red herring, it's Facebook just being Facebook...CA are just middlemen

One book I looked at on this topic made the case focusing on CA was a red herring, it's Facebook just being Facebook...CA are just middlemen
This book

Well according to that press release
The unethical services offered by the companies included bribery or honey trap stings, voter disengagement campaigns, obtaining information to discredit political opponents and spreading information anonymously in political campaigns.

But I guess what he's actually being accused of falls under the heading of 'unhelpful blatancy'.

I deleted mine a week ago. I just couldn't live with the feeling that I was participating/complicit in the success of a toxic platform that was actively a force for bad in the world.

Not to try and dampen the "fuck facebook" sentiment with indecipherable geeky gibberish, but just deleting your facebook profile usually isn't enough to stop them tracking you and influencing other things. Most web pages (urban being one of the vanishingly few exceptions) contain tracking beacons and scripts from one surveillance capitalism entity or another and will still be able to track most people who've removed their facebook accounts by way of other metadata (amongst other things, techniques called browser fingerprinting). The "not linked to an active account but we're pretty sure who they are" stuff is called a shadow profile and it still sold to third parties and manipulated by others even if you're not part of the facebook ecosystem and will still be used by other sites to suggest products or promote links to stuff it'll think you'll react to.

Installing a good ad-blocker (and if you're prepared to deal with the breakage, a tracking or script-blocker) is really the best way to starve the fuckers stone dead. uBlock Origin with all of the social stuff turned on is a very good way to start.

</derail class='nerd' style='tinfoil'>

Not to try and dampen the "fuck facebook" sentiment with indecipherable geeky gibberish, but just deleting your facebook profile usually isn't enough to stop them tracking you and influencing other things. Most web pages (urban being one of the vanishingly few exceptions) contain tracking beacons and scripts from one surveillance capitalism entity or another and will still be able to track most people who've removed their facebook accounts by way of other metadata (amongst other things, techniques called browser fingerprinting). The "not linked to an active account but we're pretty sure who they are" stuff is called a shadow profile and it still sold to third parties and manipulated by others even if you're not part of the facebook ecosystem and will still be used by other sites to suggest products or promote links to stuff it'll think you'll react to.

Installing a good ad-blocker (and if you're prepared to deal with the breakage, a tracking or script-blocker) is really the best way to starve the fuckers stone dead. uBlock Origin with all of the social stuff turned on is a very good way to start.

</derail class='nerd' style='tinfoil'>
I don't really care about any of that (although I do have an ad-blocker). I just don't want to use it, I don't want to endorse it, and I don't want to be a part of a platform that is so toxically destructive. I use plenty of other services that I'm sure track me and sell on anonymised data, but they don't bother me because they're not facebook.

Back
Top Bottom